DePaul Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

DePaul Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Team had that deer in the headlights look a few times with respect to DePaul's defense which was a little surprising.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
DePaul is a very good team; a 16 point win on their home court is nothing to sneeze at. Not every game should be a 40 point blow out or the games are not really preparing you for a tougher game in the NCAA tourney.

This will probably turn out to be UCONN's toughest game of the year now that ND is without Reimer and Turner.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This thread shocks me. I saw a great game played by a couple of teams going flat out for 40 minutes. DePaul hit prayers from Detroit (holy cow, those 28' shots hit nothing but net!) that they'll never hit again in this lifetime. They average 8 threes per game, how many did they make tonight? And the Huskies are playing their 3rd game in 5 days in 3 different states. No wonder they needed a half to get themselves together.
Any game where Moriah and Stewie play 40 minutes is going to be a great game. I'm not saying UConn is a one man team, but I don't see them winning this game without Stewie. ( Geno said the same thing, post game.) Next year, UConn is without Stewie ( and press breaker Moriah.) Next year, UConn comes back to the rest of the pack.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Any game where Moriah and Stewie play 40 minutes is going to be a great game. I'm not saying UConn is a one man team, but I don't see them winning this game without Stewie. ( Geno said the same thing, post game.) Next year, UConn is without Stewie ( and press breaker Moriah.) Next year, UConn comes back to the rest of the pack.

That game is not going to be the norm for anyone. Depaul would collapse from exhaustion if they played like that every possession of every game, I don't care how many players they use. Fortunately, I can't think of a title contender that can play that way over the course of a game.

Reaction Score
True, but next year Lou will be a daemon.

Reaction Score
This thread shocks me. I saw a great game played by a couple of teams going flat out for 40 minutes. DePaul hit prayers from Detroit (holy cow, those 28' shots hit nothing but net!) that they'll never hit again in this lifetime. They average 8 threes per game, how many did they make tonight? And the Huskies are playing their 3rd game in 5 days in 3 different states. No wonder they needed a half to get themselves together.

Geno was 10000% right - DePaul controlled the tempo in the first half and the Huskies did in the second. That's when UConn began imposing its will. If the Huskies could please stop turning over the ball, a surprising weakness this season, then the win would have been greater margin.
I agree with everything after the first sentence.

But with all due respect Nan, if the thread shocks you, you haven't been paying attention!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Geno was 10000% right - DePaul controlled the tempo in the first half and the Huskies did in the second. That's when UConn began imposing its will. If the Huskies could please stop turning over the ball, a surprising weakness this season, then the win would have been greater margin.

Unfortunately it doesn't shock me. Whenever we play an opponent that performs great it somehow turns into poor play by us in some people's eyes. It was a great game and shows what we're made of. This was a perfect time to have a tougher game. And we won.

Reaction Score
I thought KLS should have played more. All the guards and smaller wings were dribbling too much and rushing. Besides KLS being a shooter, KLS is from what I have seen a tremendous passer. And she doesn't over-dribble. IMO she should have played more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gotta' gives props to Doug Bruno - that was a genius game plan. His ladies executed well, and the constant five women subbing certainly kept them relatively fresh. DePaul was unconsious from 3 point land, but you have to hand it to them. As for the Huskies, Stewie was special and Katie Lou put some nails in the coffin. There were too many missed layups, and rushing of easy shots. Huskie fans have a difficult time with anything less than a 30 point lead going into the 4th quarter,

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'll worry about next year in 11 months. For now, I'm happy to enjoy this win.

BTW, anyone remember Maya's steal and basket in the last 5 seconds at DePaul to win 77-76?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
If anyone knows how to put a game plan together against Geno, it is Doug Bruno. The 5 for 5 substitutions that enabled the pressure made the game more interesting. I bet Geno loved it.

One thing I noticed for the first time is that for a bit, Morgan played the Stefanie Dolson/Kiah Stokes role at the top of the key.

Another interesting element to me was the minutes allocation. How they distribute PT is an interesting story line especially with two more players almost ready to come back.

I'm sorry that ND won't be at full strength...I am hopeful for more games like these.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I'll worry about next year in 11 months. For now, I'm happy to enjoy this win.

BTW, anyone remember Maya's steal and basket in the last 5 seconds at DePaul to win 77-76?
I was thinking about the end of that game during the first half....

Reaction Score
The missed layups made the game closer than it should have been. How many? Eight, nine, ten? It was amazing that the announcers never said anything about missed foul calls on DePaul. There was the play where Breanna had a putback. Morgan got fouled two or three times before Breanna's shot. There were others, but it's funny that they weren't mentioned. I was disappointed to see Gabby commit a turnover and then trot back on the play, maybe not even that fast. On to Notre Dame.

Funny that you say that. I remember both. Both I remarked with a scream at the TV!

I'm pretty sure with Gabby we saw the same thing. She didn't hustle back after I think she made a to. Then she was out of position on defense because she didn't hustle and the other team wound up scoring after she left her feet. I was sayin' "Take her out!" A minute later next dead ball ft at the offensive end - she came out. Was that the sequence?

And I remember all the fouls on one play. What bugs me though is - are fouls called when an out-of-control player deliberately throws their body into another throwing ball toward hoop with NO HOPE of the ball going in. Doing that only slows down the game. It's BS and doesn't belong. Refs shouldn't reward that.

We got the W - that's what counts. I am very happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
This thread shocks me. I saw a great game played by a couple of teams going flat out for 40 minutes. DePaul hit prayers from Detroit (holy cow, those 28' shots hit nothing but net!) that they'll never hit again in this lifetime. They average 8 threes per game, how many did they make tonight? And the Huskies are playing their 3rd game in 5 days in 3 different states. No wonder they needed a half to get themselves together..

I don't get it either. A 16 point win on the road against a good team. We get to watch the greatest WCB (and one of the best in the world period) player on a great WCB team. What's the problem?? :)

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don't get it either. A 16 point win on the road against a good team. We get to watch the greatest WCB (and one of the best in the world period) player on a great WCB team. What's the problem?? :)

Sadly some people like to bask under storm clouds. They seem to get more enjoyment from finding fault. It was a teriffic game. We need more quality opponents.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
images

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What a terrific game. It reminded me of the Louisville Baylor game which Louisville upset Baylor. DePaul played terrific but UConns poise impressed me a lot. Nothing seems to bother Stewie. She was the game changer. A lot of kids on both sides played great in this game and for UConn to win by double digits is impressive. It goes to show you how good they are. If DePaul continues to play like this the rest of the season they are the number 2 team in the country.

Reaction Score
The thing that surprises me most about Lou is her lack of turnovers. I don't know how many she has on the season, but very few. That shows she knows something about basketball. She is going to be a great player.
Lou played 12 mins with 10 pts, zero TO, zero PF. Amazing ...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The thing that surprises me most about Lou is her lack of turnovers. I don't know how many she has on the season, but very few. That shows she knows something about basketball. She is going to be a great player.
Through 5 games, here are the A/TO ratios:

Stewie 1.70 to 1
Moriah 1.81 to 1
Morgan 2.14 to 1
Gabby 1.13 to 1
Kia 1.36 to 1
Lou 2.50 to 1
Napheesa 0.44 to 1
Saniya 1.00 to 1
Courtney 5.00 to 1
T and Polly are both undefined (1 to 0)

Status