decommit #1 or #3 depending on when u start counting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

decommit #1 or #3 depending on when u start counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
What a bunch of crap. Which JUCOs that couldn't get into UConn do you know for a fact would have been admitted to 'Bama or Michigan? You don't. For all you know, Krill and Burlingame couldn't have gotten into Michigan or 'Bama either.

if u can shake a coaches hand without falling over u can get into bama. i'll give u maybe michigan. hes not that level play so we will never know but please, i would love to see transcripts of kids going to those schools.

burlingame is going to fau. that means hes atleast partial. any sec team takes that also. so theres your bama question. not sure about b10 schools but i have to imagine that schools like tosu don't exactly play fair with northwestern. just a hunch.

Reaction Score
if u can shake a coaches hand without falling over u can get into bama. i'll give u maybe michigan. hes not that level play so we will never know but please, i would love to see transcripts of kids going to those schools.

burlingame is going to fau. that means hes atleast partial. any sec team takes that also. so theres your bama question. not sure about b10 schools but i have to imagine that schools like tosu don't exactly play fair with northwestern. just a hunch.

There are no "partial qualifiers @ the D1 level (partials eliminated post 2005). The S/A is either a qualifier or non-qualifier.

http://handouts.aacrao.org/am12/finished/NickSproull74608463.pdf (page 8)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
So you're saying that Burlingame met the NCAA criteria (and even the Big East criteria for that matter), but did not meet the UConn criteria, correct?

I'm not saying anything in regards to his situation... I don't know what his issue was.

JUCO transfer are even more complicated. I haven't found Sunbelt transfer requirements yet.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm not saying anything in regards to his situation... I don't know what his issue was.

JUCO transfer are even more complicated. I haven't found Sunbelt transfer requirements yet.

But I thought you just said that there are only qualifiers and non-qualifiers? Does the conference have additional rules that dictate how this plays out? This is the type of stuff that just drives me batty. It makes me feel like the NCAA as a governing body is....dare I say....f#$king incompetent....

Reaction Score
Had a number of friends on football team, and was in classes with a number of others just 2 years ago. Some of these guys cannot read and write at a high school level. I'm not trying to generalize, I knew a number of very intelligent guys on the team as well.
I cannot for the life of me imagine what the scholastic level of someone who cannot meet UConn's requirements are.
I want to win as much as anyone else. I go to almost every single basketball and football game. I don't want to win at the expense of damaging my alma mater's academic reputation and the value of my 2 degrees.

Reaction Score
But I thought you just said that there are only qualifiers and non-qualifiers? Does the conference have additional rules that dictate how this plays out? This is the type of stuff that just drives me batty. It makes me feel like the NCAA as a governing body is....dare I say....f#$king incompetent....

I did... I'm not making the judgement because I don't have the facts as they pertain to him or Krill.

This shreds some light for JUCOs:

"Generally, a non-qualifier is a student athlete who is attempting to transfer before completing their general education/associates degree. In Division I, if you are transferring from a two-year college and have never been certified as a final academic qualifier, the requirements to compete, practice, and receive an athletic scholarship in your first year are:

Attend the two-year college full-time for at least three semesters or four quarters;
Achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.000;
Graduate from the two-year college; and
Have at least 48 transferable credit hours at a semester school or 72 transferable credit hours at a quarter school, including six semester hours or eight quarter hours of English and three semester hours or four quarter hours of math.

Only 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours may be earned during summer terms. And only 9 semester hours or 13.5 quarter hours may be earned the summer immediately prior to a transfer to a Division I school. The same midyear transfer rules for baseball and basketball and physical education credits rule for men’s basketball apply to non-qualifiers as well."

... And yes, there can be/are different conference requirements and a waiver process for special cases. It's a cluster_______!

We need to find the JUCO's/Preps that went that route for exposure/seasoning not academic improvement.

Reaction Score
Let’s put this in perspective… Yes UConn’s admittance standards are high, allot higher than some FBS schools for that matter, and we should be proud about that. Currently our APR for this football team is in very good shape. Thus this Staff, in an attempt to improve the quality at some key positions, decided to take chances on some potential juco transfers as, there was some slack in the APR. Let’s be honest, some of the juco’s that this staff is/was going after would have never even been looked at by the past regime. So I for one am going to give them some credit for the attempt…

Reaction Score
We need to find the JUCO's/Preps that went that route for exposure/seasoning not academic improvement.

This is exactly my point with Joyner. He's at Cheshire Academy, not for academic reasons, but exposure. When I mentioned prep schools in my previous post, I didn't mean the 6 months, football factory programs. Grant it, those prep schools are quite successful, but the educational part is virtually non-existent. So if a kid goes to one of these schools with an existing academic issue more than likely that issue will still be there 6 months later. Of course there are exceptions. There are still kids out there with talent that will have no problems qualifying...why the heck isn't the staff going after these kids?

pj

Reaction Score
I don't want to win at the expense of damaging my alma mater's academic reputation and the value of my 2 degrees.

No school's academic reputation was ever sullied by a dumb football player. Reputations are built by the achievers, not the failures. Everyone knows that football players are not admitted based on academic merit. It is the same reason Harvard's academic reputation wasn't sullied by its admission of the daughter of the Sultan of Brunei.

Paradoxically, the value of your two degrees would be enhanced by the admission of more dumb but exceedingly capable football players. For the same reason that the value of your degrees was enhanced by Jim Calhoun's basketball championships. People who know and respect UConn's achievement in one domain will assume that it can achieve things in other domains.

Reaction Score
No school's academic reputation was ever sullied by a dumb football player. Reputations are built by the achievers, not the failures. Everyone knows that football players are not admitted based on academic merit. It is the same reason Harvard's academic reputation wasn't sullied by its admission of the daughter of the Sultan of Brunei.

Paradoxically, the value of your two degrees would be enhanced by the admission of more dumb but exceedingly capable football players. For the same reason that the value of your degrees was enhanced by Jim Calhoun's basketball championships. People who know and respect UConn's achievement in one domain will assume that it can achieve things in other domains.
You're wrong on so many levels about everything in here.
1. People on this board criticize FSU and UNC (and rightfully so) for the misdeeds of their athletic departments in terms of academics. You let subpar kids into the program, and you're bound to have a scandal. UConn has recently been embarrassed by an APR scandal, yet you want to lower admissions?
2. I have no idea what you're trying to get at with the Harvard thing. Harvard's reputation won't ever be sullied. It's Harvard.
3. Students that got into UConn 10-20 years ago would be laughed at by today's admission standards. Yes, this is in large part due to Coach Calhoun's success. That success allowed UConn to raise its academic profile. You don't go backwards from there. People think alabama is a great football school, do they think it's a great academic institution?

Reaction Score
This is exactly my point with Joyner. He's at Cheshire Academy, not for academic reasons, but exposure. When I mentioned prep schools in my previous post, I didn't mean the 6 months, football factory programs. Grant it, those prep schools are quite successful, but the educational part is virtually non-existent. So if a kid goes to one of these schools with an existing academic issue more than likely that issue will still be there 6 months later. Of course there are exceptions. There are still kids out there with talent that will have no problems qualifying...why the heck isn't the staff going after these kids?

Agree.

The one thing this staff (PP + GDl) can do is evaluate and coach tight ends (maybe not use as much as we would have liked w/ Griffin) - so I wonder what they and others see that we don't w/ Joyner. Interest from a lot of NE/Mid A D1 programs but no offers. Listed as anywhere from 6-3 to 6-5 and 240.

pj

Reaction Score
You're wrong on so many levels about everything in here.
1. People on this board criticize FSU and UNC (and rightfully so) for the misdeeds of their athletic departments in terms of academics. You let subpar kids into the program, and you're bound to have a scandal. UConn has recently been embarrassed by an APR scandal, yet you want to lower admissions?
2. I have no idea what you're trying to get at with the Harvard thing. Harvard's reputation won't ever be sullied. It's Harvard.
3. Students that got into UConn 10-20 years ago would be laughed at by today's admission standards. Yes, this is in large part due to Coach Calhoun's success. That success allowed UConn to raise its academic profile. You don't go backwards from there. People think alabama is a great football school, do they think it's a great academic institution?

1. No. Scandals at FSU and UNC are the result of active cheating abetted by the universities. It's not a problem to create easy classes open to everyone which dumb football players can use to pad their GPAs, or to admit a few players who become academically ineligible as long as enough of them remain eligible to maintain the overall team APR.
2. Harvard admits dummies for money. Football brings money. It's OK for UConn to admit dummies for football/money/image. Every other university does it, Harvard included.
3. You acknowledge that athletic success by a coach recently punished by the NCAA for the poor academic performance of his recruits has enhanced the academic and admissions standards at UConn and improved the academic profile of the university -- and you think this supports your point and rebuts mine? Going backwards would be regressing athletically because of a foolish demand that athletes be competitive as scholars.

Reaction Score
Because they're not good football players....next question
I'm not saying that every pg in prep is a good football player, but there are some who are!! And right now we're not a very good football program, so we obviously cannot expect to get 4 & 5 stars either...next question.

Reaction Score
Agree.

The one thing this staff (PP + GDl) can do is evaluate and coach tight ends (maybe not use as much as we would have liked w/ Griffin) - so I wonder what they and others see that we don't w/ Joyner. Interest from a lot of NE/Mid A D1 programs but no offers. Listed as anywhere from 6-3 to 6-5 and 240.
I agree...I've wondered that myself. He had good film and would qualify, but ultimately the staff has to want and see a need for a certain recruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom