DeAndre Daniels | The Boneyard

DeAndre Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i know he's only a freshman and we should give him time but im sorry DeAndre is pretty bad especially for a such a highly ranked recruit. how was this guy ranked top 10 on rivals? 6'8'' body built like a stick (with he could get stronger and gain some weight though), he cannot beat anyone off the dribble whatsoever, watching him try to create his own shot is painful (he simply cannot create his own shot against a D-1 defender). also his jump shot (i've seen him shoot up close in warm-ups) his release is ugly and flawed. i guess he's decent on defense? i honestly havent watched him closely enough to make a good assessment but it sounds like most people regard him as a decent defender.

the only thing i've seen him do all year was finish in transition, which is certainly nothing special.
obviously hes still young and he has time to develop but i've been extremely disappointed with him this year especially with how highly scouts regarded him out of high school.

what does the boneyard think?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Here we go ...

i know he's only a freshman and we should give him time but im sorry DeAndre is pretty bad especially for a such a highly ranked recruit. how was this guy ranked top 10 on rivals? 6'8'' body built like a stick (with he could get stronger and gain some weight though), he cannot beat anyone off the dribble whatsoever, watching him try to create his own shot is painful (he simply cannot create his own shot against a D-1 defender). also his jump shot (i've seen him shoot up close in warm-ups) his release is ugly and flawed. i guess he's decent on defense? i honestly havent watched him closely enough to make a good assessment but it sounds like most people regard him as a decent defender.

the only thing i've seen him do all year was finish in transition, which is certainly nothing special.
obviously hes still young and he has time to develop but i've been extremely disappointed with him this year especially with how highly scouts regarded him out of high school.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't think that I can disagree with a lot of what you said.

I'll tell you what, he's not a two-year player as he stated he would be before coming here.

Reaction Score
You answered your own question, he's stuggling so much because he needs to gain weight and mostly for this reason he can't beat his man off the dribble. I think he has a really nice looking jumpshot, he has just been struggling with it. He is young and needs time to develop.

Reaction Score
clearly the scouts were wrong but wow, he is severly handicapped on the offensive end

Reaction Score
You answered your own question, he's stuggling so much because he needs to gain weight and mostly for this reason he can't beat his man off the dribble. I think he has a really nice looking jumpshot, he has just been struggling with it. He is young and needs time to develop.

Calhoun is in love with the 6'8 wing. But without a handle, what good are they? Too small to play in the post, too slow and unskilled to play the perimeter.

Reaction Score
He can't shoot or drive.... basically has no offensive game at this point.... though i'm sure he will get much much better down the road.

Reaction Score
I'd rather have Olander at the 3 right now. Honestly. At least he can shoot and pass the ball. DD looks like a lost puppy

Reaction Score
Even Lamb wasn't Lamb out of the box. Lamb was awful until March last year. That being said DD will not turn it on like Lamb did last year. I'd like to say we're looking at another Stix but DD isn't even that good.
He's a freshman...not everyone can be Lamb right out of the box.

caw

Reaction Score
What you're missing is DD is not getting it done.

Do you honestly think so for he is a top 10 recruit?

By the way caw, you are an idiot.

Reality sucks doesn't it?

I love how dbags like you can call people morons.

What do you know?

Reality? You have to be kidding me. I don't take UConn games as life or death situation, that is reality.

What do I know: a lot actually. About UConn basketball, a good amount. About you, as much as I want to.

He is a moron for his timing not his analysis. I mean honestly, what is the point of posting something about a player that has nothing to do with the game after a loss, but piss people off/troll. Want to ask that question tomorrow, Friday, Saturday before the game, fine go for it. It's simply idiotic to post it after a game and expect any response worth your while. Daniels played 6 minutes tonight.

As to his analysis, sure it is mostly correct, though Daniels does have a good release on his shot, his issues are in his release point more than his arm/hand.

PS,

STB I congratulate you for not mentioning either your size or Syracuse in your post. <<clap, clap, clap>>

temery

What?
Reaction Score
clearly the scouts were wrong but wow, he is severly handicapped on the offensive end

I heard the same things about Ricky Moore right up to March 29, 1999.

Reaction Score
Reality? You have to be kidding me. I don't take UConn games as life or death situation, that is reality.

What do I know: a lot actually. About UConn basketball, a good amount. About you, as much as I want to.

He is a moron for his timing not his analysis. I mean honestly, what is the point of posting something about a player that has nothing to do with the game after a loss, but piss people off/troll. Want to ask that question tomorrow, Friday, Saturday before the game, fine go for it. It's simply idiotic to post it after a game and expect any response worth your while. Daniels played 6 minutes tonight.

As to his analysis, sure it is mostly correct, though Daniels does have a good release on his shot, his issues are in his release point more than his arm/hand.

PS,

STB I congratulate you for not mentioning either your size or Syracuse in your post. <<clap, clap, clap>>

i guess it wasn't the perfect time to start the thread but he once again he did absolutely nothing in this game so it wasn't a completely random/poorly timed thread.

there was absolutely no need to call me a moron though. and yes, i did recieve multiple responses that were "worth my while" so actually you are the one that is wrong but i will not call you a moron.

Reaction Score
I heard the same things about Ricky Moore right up to March 29, 1999.

that was actually the first uconn game i ever watched, i was 6 years old and he became my favorite player...anyway, yes there is always potential for him to improve (i know he will, how much he will is the question) but right now he has been very disappointing.

Reaction Score
It's getting to the point where I no longer can be angered when opposing fanbases claim that the Uconn fanbase knows jackshit about basketball, and have to agree with them.

Reaction Score
DD needs some strength and some confidence. He will be pretty good down the road.

caw

Reaction Score
i guess it wasn't the perfect time to start the thread but he once again he did absolutely nothing in this game so it wasn't a completely random/poorly timed thread.

there was absolutely no need to call me a moron though. and yes, i did recieve multiple responses that were "worth my while" so actually you are the one that is wrong but i will not call you a moron.

Glad they were worth your while. I said, "you can't expect". Fortunately there are some posters that obliged you by agreeing with what you wrote.

You are right, calling you a moron was probably over the line, but if someone posts that after a lose with a total of <25 posts prior, it seems an awful lot like a troll and meaning or not, you were doing just that which was a poor choice.

Reaction Score
Honestly, this might be the most premature post of the year so far.

You should change your username to "Pitino."

Reaction Score
Even Lamb wasn't Lamb out of the box. Lamb was awful until March last year. That being said DD will not turn it on like Lamb did last year. I'd like to say we're looking at another Stix but DD isn't even that good.
Lamb was not "awful"... he was a Freshman.... he had some pretty decent games, including 14 double digit scoring contests BEFORE MARCH... that's far from awful

and DD is def not another Stanley... not even close to the same sort of player

Reaction Score
At this point, DD would have thrived in the fast break/paced, pressing days of the mid 90's.
He'll be fine next year as Calhoun gives him a laundry list of things to work on over the summer. For now he'll get the confidence building starts just so he doesn't peer to far over the edge. Jim knows what he's doing.

H

huskymagic

Everything you said is spot on and nothing to disagree about. I have been saying this for a while now that losing Moe Harkless was a big loss for us. Giffey and Roscoe are both better players than Daniels and thats why both will see a majority of playing time ahead of Daniels.

Reaction Score
I'd rather have Olander at the 3 right now. Honestly. At least he can shoot and pass the ball. DD looks like a lost puppy

Plenty of moronic statements after losses but putting Tyler Olander is on or near the top..........wish you were coaching!!! He can't move his feet in the post but let's throw him on the perimeter vs a 6'5" athletic wing.....there's the fn solution for UConn instead of DD.....wow we have some beauties!! Ricky21 ans 990411 just joined the HOF in this thread.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The thing that most amazes me is that any UConn fan still places an emphasis on recruiting numbers. After all the years in which we've observed top recruits underperform and lower recruits out perform higher recruits, anyone surprised with players based on the recruiting hype is either a newbie or very literal and unable to make a generalization.

Secondly, a real good player who might do very well in one coaches system or style of coaching, can struggle with another coaches system or style of coaching. I like DD in that, at least from my observation, he appears to be trying even if his execution isn't there. He reminds me of NG last season in the way he's trying to figure out what the coach expects. I give him credit in that he is not pouting or negative.

Let's give the kid more time as you proposed but you were unable to control yourself from needing to say more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom