DD ... my take | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DD ... my take

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
everyone listen.. I love the Huskies..... and have since i was 4... I shot hoops with Ray ray, KO, and donyell after a game VS Miami and I have a great story about that... I hung out with Doron and KO for a while - just me, my bro and my dad... also met Popa. One of the best memories of my dad.

I love basketball and have studied and learned under some great teachers - and I will not apologize for what I know is the reality. I am upset that fellow fans just cant hear my thoughts without attacking me. I am very excited about this season and didn't mean to "bitch" . His defense will cost us games this year and its not always "stats" its the team defense effect of bad defending. Great coaches and players and winners can always see ways to improve and often wins are more effective than a loss to do so.

I wish you all a very happy and safe holiday and Lets go Huskies.

Well I don't think I attacked you personally at all, though I do disagree with parts of your post.

Anyway have a safe and nice Thanksgiving.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Watch the next game and you will see my point... I dont hate DD and I dont think he should sit but he will cost us a game thjis year due to his lack of defensive ability. watch
It also could be boat's defense or Giffs inability to recover from helping the guards or bazz taking a chance....
They all have their faults - collectively they play a good team defense but indididually they play spotty man to man
Is DD the dream defender? No But he can rebound and if he decides to play 100% on both sides of the ball 90% of the time he is the best/2nd best player on the floor. I think you are a bit too critical on his overall defensive efforts. IMO

Reaction Score
Watch the next game and you will see my point... I dont hate DD and I dont think he should sit but he will cost us a game thjis year due to his lack of defensive ability. watch

Next game is Florida by the way. Should be fun, got tx as part of a flex pack. Coach Ollie emphasizes defense so I don't think DD will get worse at it.

Reaction Score
Daniels is a fine defensive player - really, aside from some occasional lapses in our rotations against BC the defense as a whole has been very good all year. The fact that we're still top 20 in adjusted defense despite our problems on the boards should tell you all you need to know about the team defense. Omar, Boatright, and Olander were our three worst defensive players last season. Omar and Boatright have gotten a lot better, and Olander only plays sparingly. I can recall one instance tonight where Daniels was beaten off the dribble, other than that, you're going to have to direct me to the exact moments in the game his alleged miscues occurred.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
To me, DD's biggest weakness is and has been indecisive and/or careless passing.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
@bfair, your grammar makes you sound like you're 12 years old... saying 'THIS IS FACT' doesn't make what you say a fact. Saying 'everyone listen' doesn't make everyone pay more attention to what you're saying if your observations are baseless.

DD plays average to decent defense. Ollie wouldn't have him out there otherwise. He had 3 blocks and changed a number of other shots.

Reaction Score
I'm watching the game again right now but I counted at least 12 points that IMO were a result of the defensive play of DD and I think many are overlooking the liability he is for us on that end. His team defense is absolutely abhorrent. He constantly puts our team defense in bad position and I cringe watching him play defense..

Like I tell my idiot friends who love Carmelo.. if you score 30 and let your opposing player on offense average over his scoring average by over 5.3 points then is that an effective player? The best players are also the best defensive players.

When was the last time you saw DD get a tip on defense or take a charge or stop ball and create a turnover opportunity? While he rebounded well today his numbers are not impressive.

I would love him to become the player we all hoped he would be but his defense cost us a few games last year and will again this year. Watch him play defense next game and watch how he gets beat off the dribble constantly and cant recover and then watch his team covers or step ins and recovery.. It is truly a disaster .. he couldn't play a minute at the next level.

I would rather Kromah in at every minute... I don't mean to be a downer and I love this team but I cant get my head around his defensive effort.. It doesn't help that our guards play a very free wheeling and risk prone style.. DD needs to get better.

OklahomaUconn is that you?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think we play better team defense than any individual's defense. Of the individual defenders, I think Kromah is among the best, maybe Giffey too. DD seems to vary with his intensity. On fire (end of last year & today), he improves his O, his D and his rebounding. When he disappears, it all drops off. Let's hope he is moving up and not on a see-saw ride. He has talent!

Reaction Score
I missed this game, so I can't weigh in, but DD shut down a hot-shooting Smotrycz in a one-point win in our opener. And in the close win over BC, he either blocked BC's layup attempt to tie with a pinky, or challenged it enough to make the guy miss it badly. So he has had a defensive impact in two close wins already. Boat (MD) and Kromah (IU) both had big defensive stops too when challenged man to man with the game on the line.

Maybe somewhere down the line, someone will get the better of him, but that's basketball. Sometimes great players play well.

Reaction Score
The other issue is that our guards, for better or sometimes for worse, tend to gamble for the steal or play tight on their man outside of the three point line and let their mark get a step on them driving. This usually ends up pulling one of our wing defenders off of his man to help out, which leaves a man open on the perimeter. It all adds up to that help defender occasionally looking like they're playing sloppy d when in reality they're doing the correct thing and it's just one of those things you chalk up to team defense. I've noticed this particularly with Giffey, who is an incredible defender and yet seemed initially to me to have regressed a bit at the beginning of the year. I was wrong, though - he's as good if not better than ever, he's just been stuck in some compromising positions. Same with DD. Overall our D has played extremely well though so it all evens out in the end

Reaction Score
I have not been able to watch games but it seems he had a slow first half and ended with 18 and 7.

I'll take 18 and 7 any game- in a heart beat from DD

Reaction Score
The other issue is that our guards, for better or sometimes for worse, tend to gamble for the steal or play tight on their man outside of the three point line and let their mark get a step on them driving. This usually ends up pulling one of our wing defenders off of his man to help out, which leaves a man open on the perimeter. It all adds up to that help defender occasionally looking like they're playing sloppy d when in reality they're doing the correct thing and it's just one of those things you chalk up to team defense.

This... If we're going to criticize any defender(s) it has to be Boat or Bazz. For guys as quick as they are, it is insane how often they are beaten off the dribble. Usually it's because they are going for an ill-advised steal or as shown in the Indiana game, they are just lazy. When they get beat defenders have to rotate to stop the penetration which leaves shooters open.

Reaction Score
everyone listen.. I love the Huskies.....

Not necessary to say. You posted right after the game, and everyone is emotional. If you waited a day or two your points could have been reviewed differently or you may even had said it differently.

As for DD he is nowhere near NBA ready, however next year he will surely be. I see him still under construction in all facets of his game. As for college ball he is a very good one (even with his faults) and getting better right now.

Every team we have played I would take DD over the opposing player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom