DD ... my take | The Boneyard

DD ... my take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm watching the game again right now but I counted at least 12 points that IMO were a result of the defensive play of DD and I think many are overlooking the liability he is for us on that end. His team defense is absolutely abhorrent. He constantly puts our team defense in bad position and I cringe watching him play defense..

Like I tell my idiot friends who love Carmelo.. if you score 30 and let your opposing player on offense average over his scoring average by over 5.3 points then is that an effective player? The best players are also the best defensive players.

When was the last time you saw DD get a tip on defense or take a charge or stop ball and create a turnover opportunity? While he rebounded well today his numbers are not impressive.

I would love him to become the player we all hoped he would be but his defense cost us a few games last year and will again this year. Watch him play defense next game and watch how he gets beat off the dribble constantly and cant recover and then watch his team covers or step ins and recovery.. It is truly a disaster .. he couldn't play a minute at the next level.

I would rather Kromah in at every minute... I don't mean to be a downer and I love this team but I cant get my head around his defensive effort.. It doesn't help that our guards play a very free wheeling and risk prone style.. DD needs to get better.

Reaction Score
I'm watching the game again right now but I counted at least 12 points that IMO were a result of the defensive play of DD and I think many are overlooking the liability he is for us on that end. His team defense is absolutely abhorrent. He constantly puts our team defense in bad position and I cringe watching him play defense..

Like I tell my idiot friends who love Carmelo.. if you score 30 and let your opposing player on offense average over his scoring average by over 5.3 points then is that an effective player? The best players are also the best defensive players.

When was the last time you saw DD get a tip on defense or take a charge or stop ball and create a turnover opportunity? While he rebounded well today his numbers are not impressive.

I would love him to become the player we all hoped he would be but his defense cost us a few games last year and will again this year. Watch him play defense next game and watch how he gets beat off the dribble constantly and cant recover and then watch his team covers or step ins and recovery.. It is truly a disaster .. he couldn't play a minute at the next level.

I would rather Kromah in at every minute.,

Not sure what you're watching........he was fighting for rebounds, blocked or changed many shots and while he did get beat on D so does everyone else. He made some real nice plays late too and swatted a shot by Cormier who he wasn't guarding........Many of the bigs look bad on D as they tend to have to cover for the guards who have been beaten off the dribble or gambled and missed on a steal. Not the night to pick on DD for sure so I have to say I disagree. I do agree that Kromah needs time but with DD in also......

caw

Reaction Score
I can't remember any UConn big trying to draw charges on the regular. It's not part of the game plan. Bigs usually don't get tips either, unless there are entry passes and not a ton post up Daniels.

He blocks a good number of shots, which are close to tips I guess. He does have trouble with quicker players and rotates too much sometimes.

Reaction Score
I respect your opinions.. watch the game again and tell me he didn't get flat out beat on defense off the dribble 4 times which created points. if you would like I can get you game times. Listen I have been a Uconn fan forever and IMO no one loves this program like me (figure of speech). There is no argument the proof is in the "pudding".

FYI DD averages 3.7 rebounds per game - less than Boatshow and Bazz so don't tell me that he is a scrappy rebounder at his height. Think about my post before you reply as if I am some sort of ignorant person. Ive watched the game twice and every game and I love the game so this is not some rant but an analysis that wasn't up for opinion - it is a fact

Reaction Score
I can't remember any UConn big trying to draw charges on the regular. It's not part of the game plan. Bigs usually don't get tips either, unless there are entry passes and not a ton post up Daniels.

He blocks a good number of shots, which are close to tips I guess. He does have trouble with quicker players and rotates too much sometimes.

I consider him a 3 but I understand this point. Travis knight, adrien and scotty B? and if you consider him a 3 then the list is enormous.
and if he is a big then is 3.7 RBS/game a solid line?

Reaction Score
bfair said:
I respect your opinions... this is not some rant but an analysis that wasn't up for opinion - it is a fact

Wait what

Reaction Score
Wait what

haha.. lol... good catch.. you got me there...
listen i love the team and i didn't mean this as a hateful post..

I hope fellow husky fans will know that,

Reaction Score
I respect your opinions.. watch the game again and tell me he didn't get flat out beat on defense off the dribble 4 times which created points. if you would like I can get you game times. Listen I have been a Uconn fan forever and IMO no one loves this program like me (figure of speech). There is no argument the proof is in the "pudding".

FYI DD averages 3.7 rebounds per game - less than Boatshow and Bazz so don't tell me that he is a scrappy rebounder at his height. Think about my post before you reply as if I am some sort of ignorant person. Ive watched the game twice and every game and I love the game so this is not some rant but an analysis that wasn't up for opinion - it is a fact

3.7 rebounds but 8 tonight and kept many others alive. Simply stated I said this was a bad game to bring the hammer down on DD as he was a key to squeaking out a win. I respect your opinion and usually you are spot on.......just not good timing on this one.

And of everyone the one who gets beat the most game in-gameout is Boat. Sorry but it's not close and as I have stated many times this leads to the domino effect for our defense. DD needs to improve but he's also 6'8" guarding 6'4" guys a lot.....who can't guard him down the other end.....tough match up for both!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
DD has flat feet and can't defend quicker defenders. Also he's soft and weak and can't defend stronger defenders. Today we played Loyola and statistically he had a good game. But when we play Louisville, expect Chane Behanan to have 20+pts and 10-15 rebounds because he will eat DD alive.

Reaction Score
bfair said:
haha.. lol... good catch.. you got me there...
listen i love the team and i didn't mean this as a hateful post..

I hope fellow husky fans will know that,

DD needs to improve team D a lot, most of us just didn't think this was story of the game, essay length material. You are overreacting and losing credibility in your argument when you say Kromah should get all his minutes. Are you proposing Kromah gets 30 minutes at the 4?

Reaction Score
3.7 rebounds but 8 tonight and kept many others alive. Simply stated I said this was a bad game to bring the hammer down on DD as he was a key to squeaking out a win. I respect your opinion and usually you are spot on.......just not good timing on this one.

And of everyone the one who gets beat the most game in-gameout is Boat. Sorry but it's not close and as I have stated many times this leads to the domino effect for our defense. DD needs to improve but he's also 6'8" guarding 6'4" guys a lot.....who can't guard him down the other end.....tough match up for both!

agree there.... and i chose today because we did win and he did have a good game and he "showed up" for all of his minutes. You are spot on about boat, and bazz frankly - but I truly believe that many of you will watch this next game and flat out agree with my opinion. and boat's steals per game do not warrant his risky style of dedense. But in general guards can afford to be more risky at the top but there is no help behind a front line player. That can also be argued but just my take.

You the man MAU!!! and I am so excited about our team and KO... never would have imagined how great he would be!!!

Reaction Score
DD has flat feet and can't defend quicker defenders. Also he's soft and weak and can't defend stronger defenders. Today we played Loyola and statistically he had a good game. But when we play Louisville, expect Chane Behanan to have 20+pts and 10-15 rebounds because he will eat DD alive.

I don't expect he will do a great job vs Chane but who does? And Chane will have his troubles down the other end guarding him too......that's basketball. You take Chane, I'll take our guy!

Reaction Score

Something tells me you don't watch Louisville play.

Behanan and Blackshear are grand grand grand disappointments.

Harrell is an excellent player. The others, not so much.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't expect he will do a great job vs Chane but who does? And Chane will have his troubles down the other end guarding him too......that's basketball. You take Chane, I'll take our guy!
I want to take DD! But I feel like he can't guard upper echelon post players. As the OP said, he is a liability on defense in my opinion. I like his offensive game but I wish he was more aggressive.

Reaction Score
DD has flat feet and can't defend quicker defenders. Also he's soft and weak and can't defend stronger defenders.

When we're ripping guys for not being able to defend defensive players I think we've officially run out of things to b itch about.

Reaction Score
Watch the next game and you will see my point... I dont hate DD and I dont think he should sit but he will cost us a game thjis year due to his lack of defensive ability. watch

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Yeah let's just ignore the 3 blocks

Also I'm not sure who he was guarding but their forwards scored a combined 4 points on 2/15 FG.

Reaction Score
I want to take DD! But I feel like he can't guard upper echelon post players. As the OP said, he is a liability on defense in my opinion. I like his offensive game but I wish he was more aggressive.

He can't but he's a 6'8" swing who is forced to be a PF - almost a tweener because of his physicality. I agree he needs to be tougher on the boards and move his feet a little more but he's getting better. He actually did a better job late in the game and it was noticeable........we'll be fine just need to be more consistent, all of them. Hell Bazz got beat back door twice by Cormier (no help of course) and off the dribble too. Not a great night by many but DD was good for us on O.......lasan and niels too

Reaction Score
Yeah let's just ignore the 3 blocks

Also I'm not sure who he was guarding but their forwards scored a combined 4 points

In college its less iso so often its a team effect on the defensive end when someone gets beat off the dribble. OMG... watch the game...

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Well whatever his effect on team defense is, forcing a 35% FG is good enough for me, especially when he contributes heavily to a 50% FG.

Reaction Score
Ive watched the game twice and every game and I love the game so this is not some rant but an analysis that wasn't up for opinion - it is a fact

Uncle Leo?

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
I consider him a 3 but I understand this point. Travis knight, adrien and scotty B? and if you consider him a 3 then the list is enormous.
and if he is a big then is 3.7 RBS/game a solid line?

First, he may be a three in style but he plays the four. I'll come back to that.

Second Adrien rarely ever tried to draw a charge. He either played straight up or went for the block.

My memory isn't great on Travis or Scotty but I recall Scotty playing mostly the 3 position and I don't recall Travis going for charges that often either. It has been 15+ years since they played at UConn (nearly 20).

Going back to Daniels, he had trouble rebounding at the four to start the year, that's probably because he's a three masquerading as a four. His averages last year were decent/not great. He had a horrendous start to the year but has rebounded and scored better recently. He has 30 rebounds on the year with 20 coming the past three games. Not amazing but he has done a much better job recently. Also his average is now up to 30/7 = 4.3 per game. His scoring is up to 13.3. That's including his horrendous first two games.

Reaction Score
everyone listen.. I love the Huskies..... and have since i was 4... I shot hoops with Ray ray, KO, and donyell after a game VS Miami and I have a great story about that... I hung out with Doron and KO for a while - just me, my bro and my dad... also met Popa. One of the best memories of my dad.

I love basketball and have studied and learned under some great teachers - and I will not apologize for what I know is the reality. I am upset that fellow fans just cant hear my thoughts without attacking me. I am very excited about this season and didn't mean to "bitch" . His defense will cost us games this year and its not always "stats" its the team defense effect of bad defending. Great coaches and players and winners can always see ways to improve and often wins are more effective than a loss to do so.

I wish you all a very happy and safe holiday and Lets go Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom