Danny O'Brien | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Danny O'Brien

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The loser of the DOB-Whitmer battle wouldn't leave, I think, because they'd be out of eligibility at that point, right?

I do think adding DOB might be a risky recruiting move, in that we probably promised Whitmer we wouldn't bring in any other transfers at the QB position...but for a talent like DOB, that's a risk I'm willing to take. I think Whitmer has the highest chance of being our starter next year, and he seems like a good kid - but sometimes we talk about him like we beat out Florida State for his services. I don't think we were exactly competing against top 25 teams.

Whitmer could compete over the summer, leave in September, sit out the 12 season and have two years left to play two. If DOB enrolls, doesn't win the job and leaves before the start of the season, he can either leave and go straight to the Colonial and have two years or sit out '12 and play in '13. If either actually starts the '12 season with UConn and then wants out, they lose one year from the above.

But Whitmer is already here and DOB will have the same situation whereever he goes. It's not like he wouldn't have competition at Wisoncsin or Penn State or Vandy.

Reaction Score
I just hope he makes a decision quickly. If he comes here great, but I like the guys we have and I hate to see this rumor hanging over them.

Reaction Score
Am I missing something with DOB. If he were to transfer here, he would still have to sit out the season. It's one year from the time he enrolls, meaning he would be eligible for the 2013 season.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
he is grading this may, 2 years left to play.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread. We want the staff to bring in 4 and 5 star recruits and upgrade the talent, but seemingly not if it will create a glut or challenge starters. How many 4/5 star QBs are on most top CFB rosters? Kids should be embracing a challenge not shirking from it. If we have someone, anyone, who can raise the talent level, add depth, produce, etc., and we have room, I don't care what position they play, bring them in.

I don't see DOB here, I just don't. I could see Wisc. as a really good move for him. I also think Vandy is sititng quietly as they sort thru the complaint the ACC filed. And i would love to see us get the DB who left UM because they tried to make him in to a LB.

Reaction Score
Danny O'Brien is the perfect name for a Notre Dame QB.

Reaction Score
Maybe I missed it, but wouldn't O'Brien have to sit a year where ever he transfers unless its a 1AA or lower level school? Even if he does come to UCONN he isn't going to solve the quarterback problem this season. that will require someone of the guys already on campus to step up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Agreed. I think some folks feel we have a QB glut at the moment. Until we get someone who can run the offense reliably... bring in the best competition and let it play out.

Yup. Like they say, if you have 5 quarterbacks you don't have any quarterbacks.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Maybe DOB has some interest in us to piss RE off? Woudn't blame him and we do have an opening!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Yup. Like they say, if you have 5 quarterbacks you don't have any quarterbacks.
A bit of an oversimplificaiton to ignore the quality of the 5 quarterbacks, yes?

Reaction Score
Maybe I missed it, but wouldn't O'Brien have to sit a year where ever he transfers unless its a 1AA or lower level school? Even if he does come to UCONN he isn't going to solve the quarterback problem this season. that will require someone of the guys already on campus to step up.

He will graduate from Umd in may so if he enrolls in a graduate program not offered at maryland then he can play right away. its the russell wilson rule

Reaction Score
really? I didn't realize that. Thought he was an underclassman. I'd love to have him in the mix.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i would pay his trip cost from rangoonjail to uconn. i suspect other by's would pitch in for things as well. COME TO STORRS DOB!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I'm an inveterate optomist but chances do appear slim for us getting O/Brien. Frankly, I'd rather concentrate on who we have. I'm feeling comfortable that someone pretty dynamic will emerge---but maybe that's just the optomist showing.

Reaction Score
Have a hard time believing that with our corps of QB's he'd give us serious consideration. Unless PP know s something we don't

Huh? "Our corp of QB's???" Seriously. We had terrible QB play last season - and that's a disservice to the word terrible. And now, there may be too much competition at the position? Keep recruiting and keeping signing transfers until the time this situation improves dramatically on the field (on in prognostications for the up coming spring game).

Reaction Score
It's like Johan Bruyneel used to say in the Lance Armstrong days. You simply can never have too much talent.

Reaction Score
The reason why Vandy isn't on his list is because of the tampering allegation. He said he won't talk to vandy until that situation is cleared up. That's the likely place he winds up at.

Reaction Score
The reason why Vandy isn't on his list is because of the tampering allegation. He said he won't talk to vandy until that situation is cleared up. That's the likely place he winds up at.

I actually don't see him going to Vanderbilt. They just got a highly regarded transfer who had a solid year at Wyoming before he transferred in Austyn Carta-Samuels.

I still have not given up on O'Brien coming to UCONN. He would be a fantastic get for the team.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
sounds like its all but a done deal hes going to PSU. was at spring poractice again, this time wearing a nitty jacket.

Reaction Score
sounds like its all but a done deal hes going to PSU. was at spring poractice again, this time wearing a nitty jacket.
It could be a done deal, I have no clue, but I'm not putting a lot of stock in the fact he was wearing a PSU jacket at the spring game as the indicator it is all but a done deal. They could have just given him a team jacket to wear for the day, it was a bit cooler this weekend.

Either way, he is not coming to UConn, that much I am pretty certain of. My guess would be that if the Vandy "tampering" issues get settled, he goes to Vandy, if not...it could be PSU or where ever else he's looking.

Reaction Score
It could be a done deal, I have no clue, but I'm not putting a lot of stock in the fact he was wearing a PSU jacket at the spring game as the indicator it is all but a done deal. They could have just given him a team jacket to wear for the day, it was a bit cooler this weekend.

Either way, he is not coming to UConn, that much I am pretty certain of. My guess would be that if the Vandy "tampering" issues get settled, he goes to Vandy, if not...it could be PSU or where ever else he's looking.

He was wearing the Penn State jacket over a Penn State sweatshirt - maybe he borrowed that too.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
He was wearing the Penn State jacket over a Penn State sweatshirt - maybe he borrowed that too.

He could improve his odds of getting a PSU offer by wearing PSU Underoos.

Too soon?

Reaction Score
He's not coming to Uconn. Never was an option, and never will be. And if he ends up a Husky, I will not post ever again. Someone quote that I do not mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom