Danielle Patterson down to four (none of them are UConn) | The Boneyard

Danielle Patterson down to four (none of them are UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"Everybody offered her, except for Baylor and Connecticut," Mary Louis coach JoAnn Pinnock said. "Baylor did a home visit with her, but their policy is not to offer during home visits."

Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma also was interested and came to see Patterson play during her sophomore season. Ultimately, though, Patterson narrowed her college search to four schools: Notre Dame, St. John's, Tennessee and Virginia

Danielle Patterson of New York's Mary Louis leaps up women's basketball recruiting rankings for 2017 class

Reaction Score
"Everybody offered her, except for Baylor and Connecticut," Mary Louis coach JoAnn Pinnock said. "Baylor did a home visit with her, but their policy is not to offer during home visits."

Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma also was interested and came to see Patterson play during her sophomore season. Ultimately, though, Patterson narrowed her college search to four schools: Notre Dame, St. John's, Tennessee and Virginia

Danielle Patterson of New York's Mary Louis leaps up women's basketball recruiting rankings for 2017 class

I see that she has moved way up in the ESPN rankings but I was not thrilled with her play at Boo Williams recently.....saw several NJ Sparks games on the Cube and she played OK but not up to that ranking.................................if I'm not mistaken the Sparks had a multi-player mutiny after that tournament including Patterson, don't know her new AAU home

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A strange mix of the final four there! What is she looking for? Reminds me of a deposition I took of a very New York City kind of guy who ended up living on a little lake in Sherman, CT. I asked him why Sherman, and he said because his dog really liked the way the water tasted! Guess he really loved that dog. Back then it was a far different Sherman than today.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I see that she has moved way up in the ESPN rankings but I was not thrilled with her play at Boo Williams recently.....saw several NJ Sparks games on the Cube and she played OK but not up to that ranking........if I'm not mistaken the Sparks had a multi-player mutiny after that tournament including Patterson, don't know her new AAU home
That recent Jump is not explainable by her recent play (AAU or HS) + AAU turmoil on the team. Seems like ESPN was determine to write a feature and bumped her ranking to coincide with the article.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A strange mix of the final four there! What is she looking for? Reminds me of a deposition I took of a very New York City kind of guy who ended up living on a little lake in Sherman, CT. I asked him why Sherman, and he said because his dog really liked the way the water tasted! Guess he really loved that dog. Back then it was a far different Sherman than today.

Here's the paragraph on the four schools:
"Patterson grew up a Tennessee fan -- Candace Parker is her favorite player -- and St. John's is her hometown team. Patterson has visited St. John's and Virginia and plans to tour Notre Dame and Tennessee in the fall."

I'm sure she's visited SJU more than a few times, given how close it is to her. Apparently she (and Megan Walker) will be coming to visit ND in September, which is probably the optimal time to come to northern Indiana (before "permacloud" sets in after mid-October!)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I see that she has moved way up in the ESPN rankings but I was not thrilled with her play at Boo Williams recently.....saw several NJ Sparks games on the Cube and she played OK but not up to that ranking........if I'm not mistaken the Sparks had a multi-player mutiny after that tournament including Patterson, don't know her new AAU home

Interesting...wonder if this article was researched prior to the tournament, because the Sparks coach is still quoted:
Keith Gilchrist, who coaches Patterson on the New Jersey Sparks AAU club, likes her chances.
"She's a great athlete who can guard multiple positions," Gilchrist said. "She can defend post players, but she can also keep little guards in front of her."

You and I went back and forth on this one...30+ jump in the rankings? Like Coco said, seems ESPN (or Mr. Olsen) had his mind made up. The other person who made a similar jump btw, is Raven Farley-Clark, who you and I also have shared notes on...I have no idea what schools are interested in her or visa versa.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Oh well. Guess geno had his reasons.
Azura Stevens. That's sort of tongue in cheek as UCONN showed little interest in her from the beginning. I recall reading that UCONN had been out to see her play, but apparently she was never invited to First Night (IIRC) and I just don't think Geno put much effort into recruiting her. ND, on the other hand, has been all over her for a long time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The updated ESPN 2018 rankings have Charli Collier number one and Christyn Williams number two....both UConn targets and based on her twitter CW is a big UConn fan and if that's not enough her AAU teammate and pal is Lexi Gordon
For 2017 Kasiyahna Kushkituah has taken a major tumble from being #1 post to # 5 post and 38th overall.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
That recent Jump is not explainable by her recent play (AAU or HS) + AAU turmoil on the team. Seems like ESPN was determine to write a feature and bumped her ranking to coincide with the article.

Charlie and I both saw a forward, Raven Farley-Clark, from northern NJ, who also made a big jump this time around, from the 40s to the mid-teens. She, Patterson and LaDazhia Williams had been all ranked around the same last time, but the former both jumped. The Irish are very interested in Patterson and MM went to see LaDazhia Williams play, as Geno did if memory holds. (Same for Jade Williams in Texas, where we're both finalists along with Duke and Utah (?))

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Charlie and I both saw a forward, Raven Farley-Clark, from northern NJ, who also made a big jump this time around, from the 40s to the mid-teens. She, Patterson and LaDazhia Williams had been all ranked around the same last time, but the former both jumped. The Irish are very interested in Patterson and MM went to see LaDazhia Williams play, as Geno did if memory holds. (Same for Jade Williams in Texas, where we're both finalists along with Duke and Utah (?))
How would you rank the four of them Patterson, J. Williams, J. Williams & Raven Farley-Clark?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Two conflicting thoughts on this:

-- I haven't seen her play, but the articles I read about her high school games weren't overly effusive. I'm a little surprised to see her jump that much.

-- On the other hand, ESPN puts on articles on relatively lower ranked recruits somewhat frequently. They could have written the same article with her ranked in the 40s. So I doubt there is an ulterior motive for the ranking.

In the end, if she's good enough for ND's coaches, she's good enough for me. It will be interesting to see how she does at USAB tryouts. That will give us another good clue as to how good she may truly be.

Reaction Score
have to say that the rankings below the top 5 rarely mean anything...after all they are 17-18 year old kids...the services rank the girls to serve their purposes a lot of the time...one of the things that set Uconn aside from the other schools in the last decade is the staff's ability to find players that fit the mold for their type of play...everyone that signs with the Huskies are not top 20 kids out of high school...however when they leave Storrs that is quite often a different store...just an opinion

Dillon77

Reaction Score
How would you rank the four of them Patterson, J. Williams, J. Williams & Raven Farley-Clark?

Hard to rate them in order of preference because the only one I've seen play in person is Farley-Clark. I've only seen highlights and/or read reports of Patterson and the two Williams. It's hard to judge a player on the highlights -- even from high school games -- because the producers are editing in/out what they want.

So, like Orangutan and others have said, if ND coaches have seen things they want/like in these kids, that's good enough for me. Plus, if bigs are athletic they can get better as the coordination and strength catch up to that body. They all are althletic.
Plus, all of them run the floor well on breaks. And they can all block shots (however, against a lot of the competition I saw this was not that difficult given the height/talent disparities.)

- L. Williams of Florida plays the closest to the rim offensively and defensively and does putbacks with left and right equally. Nice jump hook. Didn't see much outside of 5 to 7 feet from the hoop. Generally, she was not dribbling on breaks but was on the wings.
- D. Patterson does bring the ball up on breaks. In half-court sets, she was not shy at driving into the lane both left and right. Was pulling up for a jumper up to 10 feet out.
- J. Williams had a smooth delivery on the one piece of footage I saw. Friend of mine saw her play last summer and thought she ran smoothly for a big and accelerated well. Liked her disposition on the court well...composed but intense.

Farley-Clark looks like more of a traditional post. Although she could face the basket and shoot a nice jumper up to 10 feet, I liked her left and right-handed swoop hooks from the edges of the lanes. Reminded me a little of Brianna Turner in that sense.
Shot free throws well when they needed to be, late in games. Good anticipation on blocking shots and weak-side help.
Both Charlie and I noticed she could disappear in games, but I was wondering if that was coaching plans on offense or just not an aggressive attitude (her HS team had a bunch of weapons...).

No stretch fours that I've seen here....going for the length.

Reaction Score

That's a tough one..................it's actually kind of unfair to judge these girls based only on seeing them in person a few times (D Patterson, RFC) or watching just a few games on video(LWilliams, JWilliams). Frankly as I wrote on one of the other threads, I haven't been that impressed with any post players that I've seen this year and that includes Charli Collier. Somebody replied back to me that post players develop slowly and Collier is a 2018 so she has plenty of time to improve her game and I would agree with that.

Of all the post players that I have seen lately, I think that Jade Williams had the single best performance followed by Patterson and RFC but again, that's not to say that who is the best of the group...................I'll leave that up to the experts like Coach Bill.......

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
in the simply "just saying " category..... Danielle Patterson's list of 4 is old news.
going back to the Fall.. I used to correspond with Danielle & her Father a lot.
Danielle is a true sweetheart of a young lady.
In the spirit of wanting to see the best for her... I'm not in love with a couple of those options in her remaining 4. Especially with ALL the schools that were courting her.
( one man's opinion )

imo.. she was never going to be a fit for UConn

as always.. Rankings are not only very subjective. but often make me shake my head a bit. simple honesty =
in 2016 it doesn't take all that much to be an "evaluator " . There is always a distinguishable difference between Vision (watching games )... and Recognition

I had a chance to view Many of those kids recently

Last edited:
Reaction Score
in the simply "just saying " category..... Danielle Patterson's list of 4 is old news.
going back to the Fall.. I used to correspond with Danielle's father a lot.
In the spirit of wanting to see the best for her, not in love with a couple of those options in her remaining 4. Especially with ALL the schools that were courting her.
( one man's opinion )

Coach Bill - It's my understanding that the Sparks kind of imploded after the Boo Williams Tournament. Has DP joined another AAU team? I assume not the Philly Belles whom she left for the Sparks,

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
going back to the Fall.. I used to correspond with Danielle & her Father a lot.
In the spirit of wanting to see the best for her... I'm not in love with a couple of those options in her remaining 4. Especially with ALL the schools that were courting her.
( one man's opinion )

as always.. Rankings are not only very subjective. but often make me shake my head a bit. simple honesty =
in 2016 it doesn't take all that much to be an "evaluator " . There is always a distinguishable difference between Vision (watching games )... and Recognition

I had a chance to view Many of those kids recently
Also coach since Jade Williams seems fully off The UConn's list and Collier is, how much interest do the Husky's have in Sedona Prince? How does she fair in comparison to Collier, Jade, and Ladazhia Williams?

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
charliebball - I had not heard or seen any confirmation of Official change with Danielle.... BUT she did play with Postivie Direction (aau program ) in last weekend's
Rose Classic games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99