Dan Hurley press conference | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley press conference

Reaction Score
I loved the talk about the defense.... get back to our Lyman Depriest Scott Burrell Henefeld days of lock down defense.. loved watching K a state last night against Kentucky and how there defense carried them.
I'm excited to see actual transition offense off of rebounds and turnovers. Something Ollie talked about every preseason and never accomplished

Reaction Score
I'm excited to see actual transition offense off of rebounds and turnovers. Something Ollie talked about every preseason and never accomplished
We literally never had an outlet pass ever. It was crazy.

Even in the championship year, our whole offense was predicated on slowing the game down.

Reaction Score
We literally never had an outlet pass ever. It was crazy.

Even in the championship year, our whole offense was predicated on slowing the game down.
exactly. if you're going to have the worst halfcourt offense in the country you better have some bigs who can rebound and pass OR have the best player in college basketball who can dagger some timely threes

Reaction Score
exactly. if you're going to have the worst halfcourt offense in the country you better have some bigs who can rebound and pass OR have the best player in college basketball who can dagger some timely threes
While that team minimized possessions, it did have some offense. It had enough shooters (Boat, Giffey, Daniels, Bazz) to spread the offense out, and it had ballhandlers who could break down their defenders (Boat, Bazz, Daniels). Further, it had Daniels, who could catch in the post and face-up.

2016 had some of that, but the shooting was inconsistent, and only Adams could get past his defender with regularity.

But that was a team that demonstrated the cracks in KO's offense. Purvis, Gibbs, Miller, and Hamilton all had talents that could have been better exploited than they were, but it was an offense designed for 5 Adams'.

Reaction Score

This is interesting if it's really TT. He and Hurley had a falling out half way through his second year at St. Benedicts and transferred to Findlay Prep where the team won the national championship that year and his senior year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is interesting if it's really TT. He and Hurley had a falling out half way through his second year at St. Benedicts and transferred to Findlay Prep where the team won the national championship that year and his senior year.

The blue checkmark next to his name signifies that it is indeed him.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Just rewatched because my wife wanted to watch, this is what she had to say:

"I like this guy because it's clear he feels lucky to work at UConn. I don't know if Ollie ever felt like that. And he's able to do it while still feeling UConn is lucky to have him."

Reaction Score

Couple of things to note, I like his wife sporting the Husky on her apparel already.

The other thing is, and it will take time, from what I can see no ex-Huskies hanging around for the presser. While I understand the loyalty to KO they also have a loyalty to JC and the university so I hope at sometime they too accept Danny as part of the family now. This will be important and I expect as time moves on some normalcy in that regard will return. He obviously loves the program and knows the tradition, time for them to support him and the players who will put that same uniform on.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Couple of things to note, I like his wife sporting the Husky on her apparel already.

The other thing is, and it will take time, from what I can see no ex-Huskies hanging around for the presser. While I understand the loyalty to KO they also have a loyalty to JC and the university so I hope at sometime they too accept Danny as part of the family now. This will be important and I expect as time moves on some normalcy in that regard will return. He obviously loves the program and knows the tradition, time for them to support him and the players who will put that same uniform on.
+1 on both fronts (except there are no "ex-Huskies" in my mind, other than the ones who left the program for another school; the others are always Huskies, they're just former players).

But I know what you mean, and I think the former players will come around. JC and KFree is a good start. I think all or most of the current players will come around, too, and I'm betting Jalen stays.

I know it's not my money, and I know we are cash-strapped, but I'm sure one of the things that would help accelerate all of that would be a quick resolution of KO's situation in a manner where they believe the school has dealt fairly with him. I don't know what that is or what it will take, but as I tell my friends who get divorced, the only way you will have a good relationship with your kids is if they believe you have treated your ex fairly. No matter what the circumstances. I think the same dynamic applies here. If you read Jalen's comments in today's papers, you can see even he recognizes that he and the team needed to be pushed harder than KO was pushing them. I don't think anyone believes that KO was without sin here. For whatever reason, he squandered a great thing and it was time for him to move on and get back on track somewhere else. But they don't want to see him railroaded either. As well as Benedict has handled bringing in Hurley, I think he will need to finesse a soft landing for KO in order to bring all the former players back into the fold. I hope KO also looks in the mirror and sees that it's in his best interest to be flexible here, too. It's time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

FWIW Hurley did say on WFAN yesterday that some of the UConn greats called/texted him. It was a 1 PM presser on a Friday, I'm not sure how many famous alumni are going to fly in just for that. I also can't remember which alumni, if any, were at KO's introductory presser. It also helped to have Calhoun there and everyone knows Hurley and Calhoun have had a relationship for years.

There was also that article a month or so back where anonymous ex-players seemed to understand that KO had to go. One said something to the effect of, "we love Kevin, but he's not what's right for the program now". The ex-players should care more about the health of the program than KO. It's always been bigger than one man.

We need to get a new wave of Huskies in the NBA, our numbers have been getting thin for a while now. Hurley's Huskies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know it's not my money, and I know we are cash-strapped, but I'm sure one of the things that would help accelerate all of that would be a quick resolution of KO's situation in a manner where they believe the school has dealt fairly with him.
It takes two to tango. I have no inside information on this, but if KO thinks $10M is the number, then the school needs to pursue the just cause dismissal.

Although no one has asked me I feel like $4.5M over three years is about the right number based on the information that is publicly available. Keep in mind that KO gets 180 days pay in lieu of notice under the CBA, so that's about $1.5M that becomes the floor of the negotiation. If going to $5M let's everyone save face, that would be fine, add in a favorable mutual press statement and non-disparagement clauses and call it a day.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

FWIW Hurley did say on WFAN yesterday that some of the UConn greats called/texted him. It was a 1 PM presser on a Friday, I'm not sure how many famous alumni are going to fly in just for that. I also can't remember which alumni, if any, were at KO's introductory presser. It also helped to have Calhoun there and everyone knows Hurley and Calhoun have had a relationship for years.

There was also that article a month or so back where anonymous ex-players seemed to understand that KO had to go. One said something to the effect of, "we love Kevin, but he's not what's right for the program now". The ex-players should care more about the health of the program than KO. It's always been bigger than one man.

We need to get a new wave of Huskies in the NBA, our numbers have been getting thin for a while now. Hurley's Huskies.

Chief made it. Fortunately, speeding laws were suspended - LOL

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
My thoughts on the presser one day later:

1. If we had had Benedict in 2011 and in 2012, we would be in the ACC right now.

2. I don't want First Night to be October. I want it to be today.

3. Hurley doesn't get his microphone material from @InspirationalQuotes on Twitter. He actually forms his own thoughts.

4. He knows UConn history and understands the challenge to get us back to that top echelon of college ball. And, unlike the last coach, he has a plan for how to get that done.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My thoughts on the presser one day later:

1. If we had had Benedict in 2011 and in 2012, we would be in the ACC right now.

2. I don't want First Night to be October. I want it to be today.

3. Hurley doesn't get his microphone material from @InspirationalQuotes on Twitter. He actually forms his own thoughts.

4. He knows UConn history and understands the challenge to get us back to that top echelon of college ball. And, unlike the last coach, he has a plan for how to get that done.
Not so sure about #1, but could not agree more on the rest.

C

Chief00

It takes two to tango. I have no inside information on this, but if KO thinks $10M is the number, then the school needs to pursue the just cause dismissal.

Although no one has asked me I feel like $4.5M over three years is about the right number based on the information that is publicly available. Keep in mind that KO gets 180 days pay in lieu of notice under the CBA, so that's about $1.5M that becomes the floor of the negotiation. If going to $5M let's everyone save face, that would be fine, add in a favorable mutual press statement and non-disparagement clauses and call it a day.

Quite frankly, I think that’s about right. He will need $2.2 million to finish paying his ex off and this would leave some money to support the life style he is accustom to living. This assumes he gets a $400k a year gig as an NBA assistant. In hindsight KO would have been better off with an NBA type just cause clause.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom