Dan Hurley press conference | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley press conference

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It takes two to tango. I have no inside information on this, but if KO thinks $10M is the number, then the school needs to pursue the just cause dismissal.

Although no one has asked me I feel like $4.5M over three years is about the right number based on the information that is publicly available. Keep in mind that KO gets 180 days pay in lieu of notice under the CBA, so that's about $1.5M that becomes the floor of the negotiation. If going to $5M let's everyone save face, that would be fine, add in a favorable mutual press statement and non-disparagement clauses and call it a day.
Agree on all of that, which is why I acknowledged that Ollie has to be flexible too. I also have no info but my hunch is that number is somewhere between $6M and $7M.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Agree on all of that, which is why I acknowledged that Ollie has to be flexible too. I also have no info but my hunch is that number is somewhere between $6M and $7M.
Agreed, Ollie has more leverage in that he can sit and say no, where the school is motivated to take some savings off the 10 million and move on. Up until the proceedings start, anyway.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Depends on the facts, right? I think I feel like UConn has a stronger hand/shallower pocket than you do. Keep in mind that Ollie/the union just played a trump card and lost with it. "In our opinion they UConn can't hire a new coach because Ollie is just on suspension. You can't have two head coaches." Bluff called.

It will be interesting.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Couple of things to note, I like his wife sporting the Husky on her apparel already.

The other thing is, and it will take time, from what I can see no ex-Huskies hanging around for the presser. While I understand the loyalty to KO they also have a loyalty to JC and the university so I hope at sometime they too accept Danny as part of the family now. This will be important and I expect as time moves on some normalcy in that regard will return. He obviously loves the program and knows the tradition, time for them to support him and the players who will put that same uniform on.

Couple of counter points vis a vis the former players:
  • I think they'll be supportive, doubt they just magically lost respect for JC and the program because of the KO thing.
  • I don't see why most guys would come. I mean, his brother Bob didn't come either. Long flight for just a 30min speach.
  • And the Hurley's themselves are respected in baskeball circles, so it's easy for other guys to get on board with that.
  • What'll speak volumes if guys come back over the summer or even during the year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My thoughts on the presser one day later:

1. If we had had Benedict in 2011 and in 2012, we would be in the ACC right now.

2. I don't want First Night to be October. I want it to be today.

3. Hurley doesn't get his microphone material from @InspirationalQuotes on Twitter. He actually forms his own thoughts.

4. He knows UConn history and understands the challenge to get us back to that top echelon of college ball. And, unlike the last coach, he has a plan for how to get that done.

Disagree on number 1, but that's a really small quibble. That's just your enthusiasm talking. I think it could have happened, but it would have takened a seasoned guy, with lots of connections, and a winner take all, killer mentality (like Jurich). DB maybe could have handled the last bit idk.

Reaction Score
While that team minimized possessions, it did have some offense. It had enough shooters (Boat, Giffey, Daniels, Bazz) to spread the offense out, and it had ballhandlers who could break down their defenders (Boat, Bazz, Daniels). Further, it had Daniels, who could catch in the post and face-up.

2016 had some of that, but the shooting was inconsistent, and only Adams could get past his defender with regularity.

But that was a team that demonstrated the cracks in KO's offense. Purvis, Gibbs, Miller, and Hamilton all had talents that could have been better exploited than they were, but it was an offense designed for 5 Adams'.

16 was disappointing because Adams wasn't used enough on ball. Took Ollie forever to realize Gibbs didn't have the skills of a real PG. Obviously there were problems beyond that, but just accepting the fact that a freshman was the best PG on that team should have been an easy enough 1st step.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom