CTInsider article: Newtons decision coming soon | Page 3 | The Boneyard

CTInsider article: Newtons decision coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Granted. Castle is very talented. But it may take him some time to adjust to college BB. As most of you are aware, that is not always a seamless transition.
I doubt anyone disagrees with that, but it is irrelevant for the point at hand. He is going to start no matter what.

Castle/Jackson/Karaban/Clingan names can go in pen. The last name remains to be seen based on who comes back and who comes in.

Reaction Score
For the last time Castle the burger boy is not coming off the bench. He is just too talented not too start. Newton's shot looked money at times and I'm sure Jackson's shot will get better. If we need a shooter off the bench then Alleyne or a transfer SG will play more.
You very well may be right, and as far as I'm concerned if Castle comes in and is the best player in the damn country that will be great. But Kemba didn't start as a freshman, Shabazz didn't start as a freshman, Kevin Ollie didn't start as a freshman, Marcus Williams didn't start as a freshman and AJ Price didn't start as a freshman. To be fair, Taliek Brown did and so did Khalid El-Amin.

So I must ask -- if two point guards who were national player of the year candidates by their junior years didn't start as freshmen, and both were more "natural" point guards than Castle is, how in the world can you be so sure that Castle is ready to start from day one? Because if there is any more to your theory than just continuing to declare it, I and others would be glad to hear it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You very well may be right, and as far as I'm concerned if Castle comes in and is the best player in the damn country that will be great. But Kemba didn't start as a freshman, Shabazz didn't start as a freshman, Kevin Ollie didn't start as a freshman, Marcus Price didn't start as a freshman and AJ Price didn't start as a freshman. To be fair, Taliek Brown did and so did Khalid El-Amin.

So I must ask -- if two point guards who were national player of the year candidates by their junior years didn't start as freshmen, and both were more "natural" point guards than Castle is, how in the world can you be so sure that Castle is ready to start from day one? Because if there is any more to your theory than just continuing to declare it, I and others would be glad to hear it.
It's a different time. With the "one and done" nature of the game, top ten recruits expect to come in and start immediately to showcase themselves for the draft. Not saying that this is necessarily the case with Castle -- but the top freshmen in the country generally expect to start (and do start).

Reaction Score
You very well may be right, and as far as I'm concerned if Castle comes in and is the best player in the damn country that will be great. But Kemba didn't start as a freshman, Shabazz didn't start as a freshman, Kevin Ollie didn't start as a freshman, Marcus Price didn't start as a freshman and AJ Price didn't start as a freshman. To be fair, Taliek Brown did and so did Khalid El-Amin.

Because we live in a different times were McDonald All-Americans pretty much start from the get go. Shabazz wasn't a top 10 recruit and burger boy and Kemba was behind AJ Price when he was playing as a Freshman and was small. Newton isn't really an ideal PG and I think Hurley would have no issue playing him off the ball. There are no guarantees in life but with the College game is nowadays these type of players start especially in an area of need. Right now there is no great shooter to pair with him but Newton would give UCONN the 2 PG look and the ability to knock down the long 3 playing off the ball will make it easier. I have seen Newton play and he is more athletic and even bigger than Newton. He just has to work on his outside shot to become truly elite. He is coming in as a 1 and done type player due to his size and playmaking ability. I hope that he isn't a one and done and he will play 2 years but either way college basketball is different from even when Shabazz was around. He will start the year at PG and unless he really struggles will stay there. The game is evolving especially with the transfer portal around. There is more pressure on coaches to give their recruit chances especially when they come in as Burger Boys.

Reaction Score
Because we live in a different times were McDonald All-Americans pretty much start from the get go. Shabazz wasn't a top 10 recruit and burger boy and Kemba was behind AJ Price when he was playing as a Freshman and was small. Newton isn't really an ideal PG and I think Hurley would have no issue playing him off the ball. There are no guarantees in life but with the College game is nowadays these type of players start especially in an area of need. Right now there is no great shooter to pair with him but Newton would give UCONN the 2 PG look and the ability to knock down the long 3 playing off the ball will make it easier. I have seen Newton play and he is more athletic and even bigger than Newton. He just has to work on his outside shot to become truly elite. He is coming in as a 1 and done type player due to his size and playmaking ability. I hope that he isn't a one and done and he will play 2 years but either way college basketball is different from even when Shabazz was around. He will start the year at PG and unless he really struggles will stay there. The game is evolving especially with the transfer portal around. There is more pressure on coaches to give their recruit chances especially when they come in as Burger Boys.
Is Castle going to get a chance to start? Of course he is. But anyone who thinks that Danny Hurley isn't going to start the guys who give him the best chance to repeat, as opposed to doing what Calipari does and picking lineups not to win but to help him recruit in the future, doesn't know Danny Hurley.

Reaction Score
One of the great strengths of this year team is it was DEEP. Dan Hurley played 8, 9, 10 players depending on the games and matchups. I don't know what Newton is going or staying but he was the PG of a NC team and was clutch in big moments and stage. Pretty sure DH will know what to do if Castle is as good or better than reported. There will be minutes for both. I have no worry if UConn lands Timberlake. It will great for UConn and Nick. Not sure if starting is the critical criteria for the HC and the players.

Reaction Score
Depth was key, as was having guys in the 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th spots on the roster not be jerks about it. Credit to them all, especially Samson and Richie.

It‘s not easy to keep everybody happy, but winning helps. I highly recommend another championship run- hit me up for more coaching tips, Dan and company! I got you.

Reaction Score
We were already 4th in the country in assists per game as a team this year. Imagine what that would look like with another year of Andre and Newton improving combined with Castle coming in. Ball movement would be spectacular
Would we be able to get a shot off with so much movement? Lol

Reaction Score
1) Castle is better than Kemba and Bazz were coming into this program.

2) The reason why you know that is because he won't be around to BE a junior.

This is a really bad take.
I don’t watch high school tapes, so as to #1 you very well may be right. I hope you are. But as true freshmen Kemba played a role in getting us to the Final Four and Shabazz a role in our natty. I have seen tons of McDonalds AAs come into college ball and not been at the level that Kemba and Shabazz were.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm saying a lineup of Castle, Newton, Jackson, Karaban and Clingan is a much better shooting lineup than what we ran out there in 2022.
That's really hard to justify.

Replace our best shooter, Hawkins, with Castle and then replace a much improved shooter in Sanogo with Clingan, who hasn't shown he can shoot yet in game play?

Reaction Score
I don’t watch high school tapes, so as to #1 you very well may be right. I hope you are. But as true freshmen Kemba played a roll in getting us to the Final Four and Shabazz a role in our natty. I have seen tons of McDonalds AAs come into college ball and not been at the level that Kemba and Shabazz were.

I don't even get what you're arguing anymore? Castle and the UConn staff are coming into the 23/24 season fully expecting him to be one of the starters. Kemba and Shabazz weren't coming into the program as projected one and done lottery picks.

Reaction Score
That's really hard to justify.

Replace our best shooter, Hawkins, with Castle and then replace a much improved shooter in Sanogo with Clingan, who hasn't shown he can shoot yet in game play?
He's not saying it's a better shooting team than 2022-2023, he's saying it's a better shooting team than 2021-2022 (if I'm understanding correctly).

Reaction Score
Is Castle going to get a chance to start? Of course he is. But anyone who thinks that Danny Hurley isn't going to start the guys who give him the best chance to repeat, as opposed to doing what Calipari does and picking lineups not to win but to help him recruit in the future, doesn't know Danny Hurley.
And another aspect(s) to remember is that Castle signed when he was a four star recruit so he didn't have the burger boy type status at that point AND more importantly he and his family realize that hard work is required before guaranteed success. He will be an absolute great match for Hurley's program culture.

Reaction Score
He's talking about the starting lineup in 2021-2022 of Cole, Jackson, Martin, Whaley, Sanogo vs. a proposed lineup next season of Castle, Newton, Jackson, Karaban, Clingan.
My bad.

Reaction Score
I don't even get what you're arguing anymore? Castle and the UConn staff are coming into the 23/24 season fully expecting him to be one of the starters. Kemba and Shabazz weren't coming into the program as projected one and done lottery picks.
I haven't seen anywhere that Hurley has stated he thinks Castle will be a starter in 23, let me know where I can find it or when you had the discussion with Hurley. Did Dan mention whether Castle would start regardless of Alleyne and/or Tristen returning; is he planning on starting Castle game one or just expecting him to earn a starting spot during the season?

Reaction Score
AJ Price didn't start as a freshman
AJ Price almost died going into that season and he redshirted. Then he was suspended another year. His first year—which was technically called his sophomore year—he started all but one game.

Castle is going to start. He's not walking onto a team with a junior Dyson and senior Price, or a junior Gordon and a senior Brown. It's much more akin to the situation that El-Amin stepped into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom