"CT is a warm up game" | The Boneyard

"CT is a warm up game"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dysmal. That is how we are being described by the ESPN guys. You know what, they're not wrong.

That said, for me this season is now about developing Boyle as much as possible. The off season is about finding a right coach.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, more Max and less Lyle please. I know he had a nice week last week, but really I could do without having to witness anymore east west running and matador blocking. He is usually solid pass blocking, but not today.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Our football perception could not be any lower than it is this season. Warde needs to change this by opening up the UCONN checkbook in a few months.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Our football perception could not be any lower than it is this season. Warde needs to change this by opening up the UCONN checkbook in a few months.

I have heard from pretty good authority that the above is being fully addressed.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I have heard from pretty good authority that the above is being fully addressed.

I really hope so. The football head coach needs to be paid more than our Women's BB coach (sorry WBB fans). Also, our football assistants need to be paid handsomely. We need a culture change from top to bottom. Clear out the house and shoot some life and excitement back into this thing.

Reaction Score
Somehow I don't think its only the coaches. Talent has a lot to do with it.

I'd hate to lose Weist as he has shown fine pedigree at all other stops in his career.

Call it what you want, but a squad of players with limited or no other offers from BCS schools do not seem to have a very high ceiling in terms of athletic ability, no matter how good the game day coach, and/or how well he may coach up the "under rated".

And to think many on this board thought UConn was going to "breeze through" the AAC schedule. (Believe me, I am not criticizing anyone for having high hopes). Truth is, teams such as SMU, Houston, UCF, and even ECU come from talent rich recruiting grounds, and what is left after the BIG 5 pick the litter, is still quite good.

UCF beats Penn State, Louisville, and looses to S. Carolina by 3. ECU wacks N. Carolina. Louisville is good in itself.
And Temple, for Pete's sake, scores 20 points in the first half against Cincinnatti. Is UConn going to beat anyone this year?

For the record, I don't disagree with Weist using Boyle, and/or going to other youth to try to find someone who can play and execute at this level. To me, it seems inability to execute has a lot more to do with talent level.

I'm 1000% behind out team, but I hope, who ever the next coach is, he recruits a heck of a lot better, .......and the majority of those recruits no longer are classified as "diamonds in the rough" or "under the radar". Yes, UConn sent some to the NFL........but out of a squad of 85+ players, you need a more than a few that excel in each years recruiting class.

Reaction Score
We can't even break into a Top 70 class of ewcruits. Eventually it catches up. Last year we were 60. Cincy has had several Top 50 years, 35 last year.

Reaction Score
I really hope so. The football head coach needs to be paid more than our Women's BB coach (sorry WBB fans). Also, our football assistants need to be paid handsomely. We need a culture change from top to bottom. Clear out the house and shoot some life and excitement back into this thing.
You know, im surprised this does not get brought up even more. No disrespect to Geno, i know he has earned every penny but the football program is worth a lot more $$$$ then the womens basketball program. If you want to bring in a good head coach he has to get paid especially with the conference situation we are in. If we want to be a big time football program we should start acting like one.

Reaction Score
Also, our football assistants need to be paid handsomely. We need a culture change from top to bottom. Clear out the house and shoot some life and excitement back into this thing.
Absolutely spot on target!

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Pasqualoni the great recruiter. LMFAO.
Boy were we duped. And by we I mean you, Jeff, not the majority of
the posters here.

Reaction Score
I think that we have talent enough with these guys, but man the 2009 class we lost almost 50% of our class and 2010 we lost about 33 %. The last 2 classes are more in tact. So we lost many of our would be juniors and seniors to whatever and these guys are young and are mostly PP recruits.

I am not exactly sure on the numbers, but it's pretty close. Difton should now be our go to guy.

You can check here.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=8&toinid=702&yr=2012

2009 10/21 recruits not on team
2010 7/21
2011 Just Nebrich left I think
2012 5 of 23

Reaction Score
You know, im surprised this does not get brought up even more. No disrespect to Geno, i know he has earned every penny but the football program is worth a lot more then the womens basketball program. If you want to bring in a good head coach he has to get paid especially with the conference situation we are in. If we want to be a big time football program we should start acting like one.

Time to stop paying "under-the radar money" for an "under-the-radar" guy to find and coach up "under-the radar kids."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You know, im surprised this does not get brought up even more. No disrespect to Geno, i know he has earned every penny but the football program is worth a lot more then the womens basketball program. If you want to bring in a good head coach he has to get paid especially with the conference situation we are in. If we want to be a big time football program we should start acting like one.

Worth more, how? The women's team brings a profit to UConn as well as high profile success (Geno is a two-time Olympic coach)

Reaction Score
I like this word. A good cross between dismal and abysmal.
Was typing really fast, didn't bother to fix it. But your post made me laugh. Were so bad we are worse than dismal and abysmal. Were dysmal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You know, im surprised this does not get brought up even more. No disrespect to Geno, i know he has earned every penny but the football program is worth a lot more then the womens basketball program.

Of course, this is disrespecting Geno. That's why it isn't brought up more.

Reaction Score
Of course, this is disrespecting Geno. That's why it isn't brought up more.

You know what, Geno is great, but his greatness at what he does has not gotten out of this conference purgatory, and no matter how good he is going forward, it still wont. The only thing that may is having a football program that cannot be ignored, the only way to do that is that to find a top notch football coach and pay him. Geno makes more money than any women's coach or pretty close I'm sure. The football coach making more than him at the school wouldn't be "disrespectful" nor is it to suggest that the FB coach should make more than the women's ball coach.

Only winning big in football will land our Bball programs in the type of conference they belong in. The other option is what Waylon suggested. End the football program and beg for inclusion in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Was typing really fast, didn't bother to fix it. But your post made me laugh. Were so bad we are worse than dismal and abysmal. Were dysmal.

That's why its great. It was an accident, but it works. :)

Reaction Score
Our football perception could not be any lower than it is this season. Warde needs to change this by opening up the UCONN checkbook in a few months

I hope so....not with a Has been, but with a young assistant coach from a place like Bama, LSU or Michigan. We need to give the coach $$$ and his own assistants and if Burton hates the hire... screw him!!

what I think it will be a CT high school coach who'll get hired!!

Reaction Score
Worth more, how? The women's team brings a profit to UConn as well as high profile success (Geno is a two-time Olympic coach)

What he is saying is that most schools would have the WBB coach being paid 7th after FB, MBB, Baseball, a few FB assistant coach and maybe ice hockey... Geno is worth his $$4, but now we need to get a FB coach who will go out and make the players believe they could beat Bama, LSU, Florida and BYU, not a coach who coaches the team to lose to Towson...

If we want to show the ACC or the B1G that we are serious about FB, we need to pay the FB coach MORE then Geno!!

Reaction Score
You know what, Geno is great, but his greatness at what he does has not gotten out of this conference purgatory, and no matter how good he is going forward, it still wont. The only thing that may is having a football program that cannot be ignored, the only way to do that is that to find a top notch football coach and pay him. Geno makes more money than any women's coach or pretty close I'm sure. The football coach making more than him at the school wouldn't be "disrespectful" nor is it to suggest that the FB coach should make more than the women's ball coach.

Only winning big in football will land our Bball programs in the type of conference they belong in. The other option is what Waylon suggested. End the football program and beg for inclusion in the Big East.

Ending the FB program would help us get a LAX team. We need to seriously think of what we want as a FB program, are we a big time program or are we trying to be a FCS program playing as a FBS team. The next coach should tell us what we are.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What he is saying is that most schools would have the WBB coach being paid 7th after FB, MBB, Baseball, a few FB assistant coach and maybe ice hockey... Geno is worth his $$4, but now we need to get a FB coach who will go out and make the players believe they could beat Bama, LSU, Florida and BYU, not a coach who coaches the team to lose to Towson...

If we want to show the ACC or the B1G that we are serious about FB, we need to pay the FB coach MORE then Geno!!

Why is Geno even being dragged into this discussion? "Most schools" don't have the greatest coach in the world in their respective sport at the helm. Of course, you have to pay the FB coach. The guy we canned was getting paid plenty. If we have to sweeten the pot some to get a good guy, we will. But to insist that the WBB coach needs to be a benchmark is inane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom