Crush Colgate Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Crush Colgate Game Thread

Reaction Score
Definitely a fun group of guys to root for. So excited to watch them grow and get better.

Larrier was a maniac tonight. It was awesome.

Cobb - 8 rebounds in 16 minutes? Dude looked like he was twice as wide as everyone else on the court. Love it.

Whaley - 3 blocks, 4 rebounds, 8 points. He was awesome to watch.

I had a great time at the game. Wish CV and AG had hit some more shots, and we definitely missed Jalen. Love this team though.

Reaction Score
There is no one on this team who makes me groan when I see them checking in. That's an improvement over last year! Really enjoyed watching them tonight!

The lineup for the last five-or-so minutes (AG, AA, Polley, Larrier, Whaley) was an interesting look! Imagine we won't be seeing the three lil' big men on the court together too often, but there's some kinda potential there.

Agreed @elmcityboy!

This was also a solid coaching performance on the part KO.

Ps Gampel looked great on tv

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Gilbert's shooting scares me. Other than the preseason game against Queens college, I'm not sure he has hit an outside shot since becoming a husky. He's got to work on his shooting and look to pass more when he penetrates. Loved Whalley and Polley. Agree with others that Larrier can really stroke it and Anderson can shoot also. We are sure going to need their offense this year. Can't have long offensive droughts. All things considered... a nice win to start the year. Game was never in doubt but couldn't really pull away. With Adams back and Vital hitting some shots we should be competitive. Polley and Whalley look like they will be able to help us this year more than previously thought. Will someone please tell Cobb to stop dribbling the ball up the court!!! Accident waiting to happen.

Reaction Score
Way too early evaluation:

This is not an NCAA tournament team. But they're going to be soooooooooooooooooooo much fun to watch. In all the right ways. It's weird, I feel like my expectations have been totally grounded while simultaneously thinking to myself 'this is going to be so much fun to watch these guys try to figure basketball out..' Even if they're not that good, they're gonna be a blast to watch just be alive.

But quasi-joking aside - there's some talent here. They've got so much figuring out to do... it's going to be like watching a hamster figure out a rubix cube, but they're so ridiculously game. Everyone's got a big flaw, but everyone's got something to be excited about. If you're going to just shoot straight lottery tickets for a year, I guess this is how you do it? Because it could totally be a worthwhile venture?

I dunno. I like this team after one game more than I liked anything about last year's team in anything they did and it's one game. They're so coachable, somewhat limited but the epitome of a squad that will give everyone a lot of things to have fun with down the stretch....
Agree with much of your post. But I can easily see this team as a tournament team +Jalen.

Reaction Score
Way too early evaluation:

This is not an NCAA tournament team. But they're going to be soooooooooooooooooooo much fun to watch. In all the right ways. It's weird, I feel like my expectations have been totally grounded while simultaneously thinking to myself 'this is going to be so much fun to watch these guys try to figure basketball out..' Even if they're not that good, they're gonna be a blast to watch just be alive.

But quasi-joking aside - there's some talent here. They've got so much figuring out to do... it's going to be like watching a hamster figure out a rubix cube, but they're so ridiculously game. Everyone's got a big flaw, but everyone's got something to be excited about. If you're going to just shoot straight lottery tickets for a year, I guess this is how you do it? Because it could totally be a worthwhile venture?

I dunno. I like this team after one game more than I liked anything about last year's team in anything they did and it's one game. They're so coachable, somewhat limited but the epitome of a squad that will give everyone a lot of things to have fun with down the stretch....

How did you come to that conclusion? It's the first game and Jalen didn't even play. Gilbert and Vital didn't even play well and we still won. Larrier looks like a potential AA and a pro. Polley and Whalley look like very good freshman that are gonna contribute a lot this year. Anderson looks every bit the part of a tough veteran point guard that makes big plays and shots. This team is very long and quick. Adams and Larrier might end up being one the best duos in the country. Get a clue dude.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hmm, I respect you opinion @NielsisGood but I generally thought his handle was pretty tight and I was pretty confident that something stupid wasn't going to happen with the ball in his hands

Seemed like he was only comfortable with the ball in his right hand and he seemed to be dribbling with the ball far away from his body. Looked pretty sloppy to me but luckily Colgate didn't have anyone who was capable of providing on ball pressure.

Reaction Score
Agree with much of your post. But I can easily see this team as a tournament team +Jalen.

Oh totally I mean if the raw talent on this squad figures itself out...

They'll be fine.

But even if they don't - if they stay this fun, It'll be a pleasure to watch them kind of learn.

Reaction Score
How did you come to that conclusion? It's the first game and Jalen didn't even play. Gilbert and Vital didn't even play well and we still won. Larrier looks like a potential AA and a pro. Polley and Whalley look like very good freshman that are gonna contribute a lot this year. Anderson looks every bit the part of a tough veteran point guard that makes big plays and shots. This team is very long and quick. Adams and Larrier might end up being one the best duos in the country. Get a clue dude.
Don’t hate on a guy for being somewhat realistic. This team is a borderline tournament team right now with a lot to work on, mainly perimeter offense and defense. Also need our bigs to finish better at the rim, they seem to panic a little bit. But, as many posters have said, there’s a lot to like. Time will tell, but this team will at the least be entertaining.

Reaction Score
Don’t hate on a guy for being somewhat realistic. This team is a borderline tournament team right now with a lot to work on, mainly perimeter offense and defense. Also need our bigs to finish better at the rim, they seem to panic a little bit. But, as many posters have said, there’s a lot to like. Time will tell, but this team will at the least be entertaining.

If this team stays healthy meaning we don't lose one of our top three players in Adams Larrier or Gilbert there's no question this is a tournament team if you can't see it that's your problem

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What’s realistic is far different than an obsession with negativity. I know little of your posting patterns, but a quick search of your posts after yesterday’s win leads me to believe you shouldn’t be working at a suicide hotline.

885A7866-E248-4F7B-8D4F-72F4BAA93F0B.png

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not sure how people are being negative. They won by double figures with their best and most experienced player out, and with two of their best players, AG and Vital, having bad shooting games. Did everyone forget that we lost the opener last year?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Not sure how people are being negative. They won by double figures with their best and most experienced player out, and with two of their best players, AG and Vital, having bad shooting games. Did everyone forget that we lost the opener last year?
Not as worried about Vital's shooting as about Gilbert's. Vital looked good shooting, and was just a hair off, but also took some bad shots. That's easily correctable. Gilbert's 3 point shots weren't even close, and on his drives he had blinders on, for both the defense closing on him and the passes available. Then tried to create something once he's already committed. What happened to having a plan before you leave your feet?

But he's talented - let's see if he can calm down and use his court vision along with his quickness and handle.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not as worried about Vital's shooting as about Gilbert's. Vital looked good shooting, and was just a hair off, but also took some bad shots. That's easily correctable. Gilbert's 3 point shots weren't even close, and on his drives he had blinders on, for both the defense closing on him and the passes available. Then tried to create something once he's already committed. What happened to having a plan before you leave your feet?

But he's talented - let's see if he can calm down and use his court vision along with his quickness and handle.

Couldn’t watch the game. I’m sure AG will figure it out. My point is that a team ranked #16 lost to Wagner last year. Then Northeastern. Then lost two starters, and still won 18 games. I think people have been too down on this team. It looks like Anderson and Cobb can contribute. Like Whaley, Polley and Carlton will too. They’ll all keep getting better, especially since they’ve never really played together.

Reaction Score
What’s realistic is far different than an obsession with negativity. I know little of your posting patterns, but a quick search of your posts after yesterday’s win leads me to believe you shouldn’t be working at a suicide hotline.

View attachment 26076
Oh that’s rich

Reaction Score
If this team stays healthy meaning we don't lose one of our top three players in Adams Larrier or Gilbert there's no question this is a tournament team if you can't see it that's your problem
All i’m saying is it’s hard to be so definitive about that after 1 game and following last year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom