Crush Colgate Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Crush Colgate Game Thread

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
With the Larier we’ve all heard about finally on display, and Jalen coming back, if we can just get a third scorer...

By the way, after Larrier I really thought Anderson showed the most tonight.

Wait...,Taylor Rooks is on
Larrier, Anderson, Polley, Whaley, with Cobb rebounding and Gilbert playing great D second half. And the two players we expected the most in the beginning did nothing.

Reaction Score
Larrier, Anderson, Polley, Whaley, with Cobb rebounding and Gilbert playing great D second half. And the two players we expected the most in the beginning did nothing.
I think the starting lineup we saw today minus AG for JA is going to be where we end up. I think Anderson is a better fit starting next to JA than AG. AG forces everything. He will be good energy off the bench. Terry and Jalen need to carry the team. I do love Polley's skill set and length.

Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion because he was good tonight against a team that didn't have much going for them athletically, but I still don't want to see much of Anderson against real teams. His handle was loose and I think he'd get eaten alive if any decently athletic guard decides to play in his face.

Reaction Score
Fun kids to root for. Nice to see them going after rebounds and showing some toughness. Seem very coachable to me. Alterique and Christian were off, especially CV. So basically it was Terry and all our new kids and our transfer. If Terry goes 11 for 18 I don't give a crap where he shoots from. Diarra seemed to barely play. Not that he deserved to over the other guys, but I'm still wanting to see more of what he has. Whaley is going to be a fan favorite. It will take time for them to learn to play better D. Playing without our best player and pulling out a W with clutch shots, I'm happy tonight.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think the starting lineup we saw today minus AG for JA is going to be where we end up. I think Anderson is a better fit starting next to JA than AG. AG forces everything. He will be good energy off the bench. Terry and Jalen need to carry the team. I do love Polley's skill set and length.
Really like Polley. See some real promise with Carlton but am guessing needs longer time to develop.

Reaction Score
Really like Polley. See some real promise with Carlton but am guessing needs longer time to develop.
The one thing Josh Carlton does very well for a big man is keep the ball high. That is hard to teach.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Decided to just watch the game, and not comment during. By the way, SNY was listed as "blackout" in NH, but the game was televised. Observations:
  • Gilbert is not nearly the finisher at the rim I imagined him to be. Too many double clutches, too many off balance heaves. When he penetrates he can be looking to "get to the rim," but should be thinking "where's the open guy?"
  • Gilbert's 3 point shot was atrocious. His plus, though, was terrific on the ball defense.
  • Clearly a good decision to start Anderson. Very calm and mature, very good defender, and ran the offense professionally.
  • Ollie sat Vital and started Polley for the length in combination with Larrier. I think that is also a good decision. Why play small against a small team?
  • Larrier has a much better jump shot this year. He tends to fade away, however, and needs to work on going straight up with it.
  • Polley can play all over the floor. He'll be productive all year. As he becomes more comfortable will be another 3 point shooter. And Whaley is going to be a force on the offensive boards. He's got a knack for it, has very good hands, and keeps the ball high.
  • We turned down open threes while at times forcing challenged and deep threes. You have to know where your own shots should come from. If you're not in rhythm and in your spot, don't shoot it.
  • Cobb looks awesome at times, and then sometimes looks clueless. With time we should see more awesome and less clueless. He is very strong.
  • Diarra doesn't have as much court awareness as I thought he'd have. He tried to finish through the defense a few times when really the play wasn't there. Gotta see more from him.
  • Overall the defense still tends to lose track of shooters. Too many open three pointers for a team that doesn't have much size or speed.
But hey, a win to start the season puts this team already ahead of last year, and without Adams. So not bad at all.

Reaction Score
tumblr_n47d7f7uFv1rt5pgzo1_400.gif
How cool is it that we have a guy named Carlton and also a guy that kinda looks like Carlton (Cobb)

Let's go Huskies!!!!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The one thing Josh Carlton does very well for a big man is keep the ball high. That is hard to teach.
You can see he has game. Needs to get stronger and get a feel for the quickness of the college game. It will be interesting to watch his development.

Reaction Score
You can see he has game. Needs to get stronger and get a feel for the quickness of the college game. It will be interesting to watch his development.
Yeah he has some skills and isn't bean pole like Amidah. I know different games but it is nice to at least have a little girth with him Diarra and Cobb up front.

Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion because he was good tonight against a team that didn't have much going for them athletically, but I still don't want to see much of Anderson against real teams. His handle was loose and I think he'd get eaten alive if any decently athletic guard decides to play in his face.

Liked what I saw with Anderson but I get what you’re saying. Will have to wait and see how he looks against better competition.

I still start AG and look for him shake the rust off. He’s (got to be) better than what we saw tonight. I’d stay with him for awhile, give him a chance to figure hinges out.
He’s the best option to be that third big weapon we’re going to need to get to the NCAAs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Liked what I saw with Anderson but I get what you’re saying. Will have to wait and see how he looks against better competition.

I still start AG and look for him shake the rust off. He’s (got to be) better than what we saw tonight. I’d stay with him for awhile, give him a chance to figure hinges out.
He’s the best option to be that third big weapon we’re going to need to get to the NCAAs.

There is no doubt about it. I didn’t get to see the game, but he’s shooting with a new brace he just got a few weeks back. He will be fine. Vance Jackson couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn early last year, and he had no physical reason. AG will be very good for us.

Reaction Score
This team is just not the brightest. So many terrible terrible shots.
Well, the difference between this team, even if they are "not the brightest" and last years team seems to be at least 10 to 20 points vs the Colgates and Wagners of the world. So I will take it, at least they have a mental toughness not really found last year.

Reaction Score
On one defensive set in the 2nd half, I saw the bigs come out on the perimeter and pressure the Colgate guards, while Alterique and Anderson were down low in the paint watching the Colgate bigs.

It was absurd and bizarre, but it worked!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For HuskyHawk and anyone else out there who wants to watch the game... go to www.espn.com, then click on "Scores", then "American"... when our game comes up click on "WatchESPN".

I am watching the game through the ESPN feed right now. No subscription to their paid site needed. Trying to watch through their website without being a paid member does not always work, but it seems to be working fine tonight.

A couple of quick observations...

- We have a couple of big guys who actually look like they know how to make low post moves, with the ball, without traveling and or constantly bringing the ball down to the floor... Who knew you could do THAT?

- for everyone who thought Jalen Adams was not in the building... he is there, around the bench, in a suit.

- Our help D is still a step slow at different points, and it has hurt us several times already.

I dont have SNY at my home in MA. Right now I’m at our vacation house up in Vermont. This game is blocked in Vermont. So I was shut out. I use Watch ESPN all the time.

Reaction Score
I still hate the expectation level of "Maybe this is a tourney team". But recovery is a step at a time process.

Reaction Score
Way too early evaluation:

This is not an NCAA tournament team. But they're going to be soooooooooooooooooooo much fun to watch. In all the right ways. It's weird, I feel like my expectations have been totally grounded while simultaneously thinking to myself 'this is going to be so much fun to watch these guys try to figure basketball out..' Even if they're not that good, they're gonna be a blast to watch just be alive.

But quasi-joking aside - there's some talent here. They've got so much figuring out to do... it's going to be like watching a hamster figure out a rubix cube, but they're so ridiculously game. Everyone's got a big flaw, but everyone's got something to be excited about. If you're going to just shoot straight lottery tickets for a year, I guess this is how you do it? Because it could totally be a worthwhile venture?

I dunno. I like this team after one game more than I liked anything about last year's team in anything they did and it's one game. They're so coachable, somewhat limited but the epitome of a squad that will give everyone a lot of things to have fun with down the stretch....

Reaction Score

Hmm, I respect you opinion @NielsisGood but I generally thought his handle was pretty tight and I was pretty confident that something stupid wasn't going to happen with the ball in his hands

Reaction Score
Way too early evaluation:

This is not an NCAA tournament team. But they're going to be soooooooooooooooooooo much fun to watch. In all the right ways. It's weird, I feel like my expectations have been totally grounded while simultaneously thinking to myself 'this is going to be so much fun to watch these guys try to figure basketball out..' Even if they're not that good, they're gonna be a blast to watch just be alive.

But quasi-joking aside - there's some talent here. They've got so much figuring out to do... it's going to be like watching a hamster figure out a rubix cube, but they're so ridiculously game. Everyone's got a big flaw, but everyone's got something to be excited about. If you're going to just shoot straight lottery tickets for a year, I guess this is how you do it? Because it could totally be a worthwhile venture?

I dunno. I like this team after one game more than I liked anything about last year's team in anything they did and it's one game. They're so coachable, somewhat limited but the epitome of a squad that will give everyone a lot of things to have fun with down the stretch....

They might not be an NCAA team tonight but I could see them becoming one, and a solid one at that, as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
There is no one on this team who makes me groan when I see them checking in. That's an improvement over last year! Really enjoyed watching them tonight!

The lineup for the last five-or-so minutes (AG, AA, Polley, Larrier, Whaley) was an interesting look! Imagine we won't be seeing the three lil' big men on the court together too often, but there's some kinda potential there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom