Crowd Reaction If Things Go Poorly vs. URI | The Boneyard

Crowd Reaction If Things Go Poorly vs. URI

Reaction Score
Say our young, inexperienced D can't handle the URI offense and our offense again self- destructs with penalties and turnovers. Say URI goes up by 17 at the half. Will the boo-birds be heard when the team heads to the tunnel at the half? I would never boo the team under any circumstances but I think many "fans" will lose it if we fall way behind URI - and in my view this is a real possibility.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The halftime tailgating will be legendary.

Reaction Score
The crowd will boo. They will yell bad words. They will drink more beer. They will leave early.

Reaction Score
If URI is up by 17 at the half, I would expect 75people left in the stands so the boos will not be heard.....

You're probably right. But even if only 75 people are left, it just seems inappropriate to rain boos down on a bunch of young guys playing their 3rd college game. Even though the boo birds may be expressing their disgust with the management of the overall program, not the players themselves, I'm concerned about the effect that kind of crowd reaction may have on the players' attitudes going forward. Some may start to wonder if they would be better off playing for more appreciative fans somewhere else. Hopefully if we fall behind the crowd will refrain from booing and remain supportive.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Maybe beer should be free whenever we fall behind. That would keep people from leaving early.

Lol. We’ve been behind for 111 out of 120 minutes so far, so this seems like a good deal for the fans!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I hate to think about what this board will be like if we lose the game or struggle.

It'll be in the chat, not on the board. At least during the game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The crowd will boo. They will yell bad words. They will drink more beer. They will leave early.
In haiku form:

The crowd will yell boo.
They will drink even more beer.
They will leave early.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You're probably right. But even if only 75 people are left, it just seems inappropriate to rain boos down on a bunch of young guys playing their 3rd college game. Even though the boo birds may be expressing their disgust with the management of the overall program, not the players themselves, I'm concerned about the effect that kind of crowd reaction may have on the players' attitudes going forward. Some may start to wonder if they would be better off playing for more appreciative fans somewhere else. Hopefully if we fall behind the crowd will refrain from booing and remain supportive.
We may elect to play the balance of the season on the road!

Reaction Score
Sometimes in life, shame is a good teacher and motivator. College is often the first time they bump into reality — you’re just not that smart or good as the coddling self esteemers were telling you as a child. I don’t care for the booing, but it’s called natural consequence.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Meh. If we had any expectations whatsoever entering the season then, sure, boo. But we didn't and don't. We're bad. URI looks at us as a winnable game too. The real question is whether or not the URI fans will boo if they are losing at halftime.

Reaction Score
I expect us to struggle. We're too bad not to. Truthfully would be content if we're up even 7 pts at the break.

Not sure booing is worse than apathy anymore - we've been there too many times. Just go to the game and back the home team. They need it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I expect us to struggle. We're too bad not to. Truthfully would be content if we're up even 7 pts at the break.

Not sure booing is worse than apathy anymore - we've been there too many times. Just go to the game and back the home team. They need it.

Agree with every word. If we do win this game - and there is no guarantee we will - it won't be by more than 2 scores like Vegas projects. And to be honest, I don't care. I will take a 1 point win against a FCS team lickity split at this point. We're just not good enough to expect anything more than that or to boo when we are losing.

Reaction Score
If you're going to the game, you know what you're signing up for. Booing isn't productive.

You're right - it's not. I never boo this team. But some people will boo out of frustration, whether at the coaches, the refs, general state of the program, etc. Only upside is that the boo-birds boo because they care.

Just go to the game if you can, cheer the team, make noise, show 'em that you're there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom