Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Personally, I had zero problem with Castle's offensive game. It was a poor performance but he needs to be involved with the offense to reach his potential. He really didn't take a bad shot except for an early put back.

Clingan is an absolute beast. He is better on one leg than most centers are with two. It will take a couple of weeks -at least- for his offense to come back. When it does we become capable of anything.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
2004 killed everyone but Duke. And they were absolutely smoking Duke until the refs called a second foul on Okafor. It was like 11-2. The refs were awful on both sides in that Duke-UConn game, but Calhoun took the gamble to sit Okafor and we were down most of it. Turns out it was the right call because we had Horvath defending Okafor in key moments.

Long and short of it is that 2004 team won their tournament games by:

1* (random Duhon 3)

Almost all the games but the Duke game were over by the under-8 minute mark in the first half. And, again, we were up by almost double figures against Duke by the 16 minute mark before the terrible refs made that a game.

1999...that team had some tough games (Iowa, Gonzaga, Ohio State, Duke) but all were against good tough teams, and that win against Duke is the single best win against the single best team UConn ever played.
Thanks for verifying 2004. I was doing that from memory. I remember Ohio State now. Because it was kind of a revenge game for what they did to us when Jim Jackson was on that mid nineties team. Iowa I would have had to look up.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think this team just realized what they are really capable of defensively. It helps to get a team a lead even when they aren't shooting particularly well. That bodes well for the stretch run knowing they can
kick it up a notch from now on. I know Castle had a bad shooting night and has a lot of work to do in that regard but he is a man out there on defense. His facial expressions are very calm but inside he must be roaring the way he plays defense and passes. I hope he stays at least another year. The way he can make those spin moves so quick just needs to be coupled with better shooting from mid range and deep.

Great team effort. They're feeling it. Love to see them playing so unselfishly.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
The only question I have is what up with Samson. I am thinking that Creighton plays basketball and not BE rugby but is that all it was ? He was a totally different player. With his length and quickness he can become and was very disruptive with the high hedges. He is so long and can recover so quickly. It will be interesting too see what happens in the rock fights but anyone playing the high screen game against us may be in for a surprise. We basically took Alexander out of the game with how well our bigs hedged tonight.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Spencer missed 4-5 8 footers in second half which he never misses. Even diarra missed a 3. Horrible shooting night and dormey early. Same some of the makes for at creighton
They might have worn their legs down with all that hustle on defense. That shows up later in the game. Creighton must have been frustrated (and startled) as hell.

Reaction Score
Everything else being a positive (genuinely mean it) a few things to work on.

Don’t mind Steph taking the wide open 3s, but do mind it when he hesitates. When it is in rhythm, it’s a lot better.

Newton, pass the ball in transition. Last couple games there must be 3 or 4 plays that we have 3v1s and he took a bad shot. You’re a good passer, make a good pass.

When they are giving Steph the Andre treatment, he needs to drive hard more often. He’s 5x the driver/finisher Andre was, don’t do their job for them by taking an out of rhythm 3 or bad mid range shot.

Reaction Score
That was the best defensive performance of the year. It would be the best performance last year too. That was a top 15 offense and top 20 team that was completely shut down and run out of the gym. They made the final score 'close', but that was a blowout.

My favorite parts -
  • Samson did really well defensively. Whaley-esque hedges and 99% excellent recoveries. Fouled out but he was in there and playing well when it mattered
  • The defense was amazing. With 8 minutes to go they had 30 points on 11-39. Nearly flawless rotations, communication, and most importantly effort
  • Castle's box score was miserable but he was EVERYWHERE. Lockdown defense (I mean lockdown), attacked the boards, and was on top of every 50/50 ball
  • Newton with a quiet 16/7/5/2stl
  • Donovan Clingan really changes a game, doesn't he?
Scheierman 4-11. Trey 3-12. Ashworth 5-15. Defensive masterclass

LET'S GO HUSKIES
This exactly. Hard to believe Castle could have been as bad as he was offensively and be as great as he was doing everything else. Very Andre Jackson-ish.

Reaction Score
I liked everything about the game except the offense taking the last ten minutes off. How many games are they going to try and make that corny Wolf of Wall Street video a thing? Trash that.

Reaction Score
I liked everything about the game except the offense taking the last ten minutes off. How many games are they going to try and make that corny Wolf of Wall Street video a thing? Trash that.
It's so Fetch though.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Yep…

IMG_2713.jpeg

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Castle should live inside the freethrow line. He has the size and speed to get to the rim. His shooting form isn’t bad and the midrange jumper is always there

Reaction Score
Just stay healthy.

It has been so cool to watch Hurley grow and evolve as a coach. He is really starting to get in a zone. Once we make a couple recruiting tweaks, watch out.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s a lot easier to play in your face man defense with Clingan back there to erase anybody who gets by you.

Welcome back Don.

Team is so so loaded. Only thing I’ll say is…

It’s probably a good time to make plans for Phoenix.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
On Castle, he’s a terrible spot up shooter but whenever he seems to be on the move and in rhythm he shoots much better. That’s been most of his 3 point makes this year.

Would just like to see him get a pull up mid range going if possible. He continues to have a huge impact on the game everywhere else though like Andre.

Reaction Score
We really haven’t seen much of this team play with both castle and clingan available and playing their usual minutes. Defense will be scary when that happens. Really great win

Reaction Score
At one time in the 2nd half, Tristan was at the foul line for the front end of 1-1. It seems he was asking for the ball to take the shot, a few times, actually. What was up with that? Anyone else notice that? He missed the front end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom