Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
We broke their forum

1705544714094.png

Reaction Score
I'd say the biggest thing Castle, like many past Husky freshmen, needs to learn is when it's not his night offensively to focus on the other things. He played great D and did a lot of great things, but he can't go 2 for 12. Less is sometimes more.

Reaction Score
Really nice to see Clingan back and looking like Clingan last year. He's a little rusty around the rim, but his movement was lightyears better than anytime this season.

My only gripes with the team are:

1) When they get an offensive rebound and there is a seven footer or double team or double team including the seven footer, kick it back out and run offense.
2) I love Newton's toughness, but he seemed a bit selfish with the ball the last 5-8 minutes, or if not selfish, made some really bad decisions. Pull up from 8 feet or put up a floater and if you miss, go 2 on1 underneath for the board with Clingan being the other guy.
Still, I'm glad he plays for us, and it seems his stroke from outside is returning.

Finally, when a team plays defense like that, you can get a team to quit sometimes, especially if they are on the road. Creighton didn't quit though, I give them credit for that.

Reaction Score
Karaban didn't start "playing" until the 2nd half. Still had 13 points. And ZERO fouls. That's amazing considering I was sure he'd have to help defend on Kalkbricker.
He was great though on the defensive end. HIs closeouts on a few 3's were very good, and he didn't foul a single time doing so. I also think he saw Cam with the hot hand and he is smart and willing to defer to a player hitting shots.

Reaction Score
-Dude (yeah i'm talking to you) CLINGAN IS BACK! that is the big ! of the game. Thought Danny put him in at the right times. No sign of injury, decent conditioning
-Throwback D - did we learn how to stop the dribble AND guard the 3? They missed some open looks but we had them rushed and flustered. Game ball goes to everyone
-We missed some easy shots, we'll make more of them when we need them.
-I thought the big test was Steph D tonight and it seemed like he came out Aces. BS was held in check. That just doesn't happen really he's very tall and skilled
-Never was too worried about Kalk. He's soft. Solid player but not a good matchup for him against us. Kong looked a lot bigger than him
-This feels very satisfying to see all of our guys out there playing so hard.
-Our coaching staff is amazing.
-Kudos to the crowd, even the middle section got off their arses tonight on TV.
-Love Raf. Always have. Fanta cares so much, which makes him good. He did less of the last name play call tonight which was good on him
-This wine, tasty - cheers boys.

Reaction Score
I'd say the biggest thing Castle, like many past Husky freshmen, needs to learn is when it's not his night offensively to focus on the other things. He played great D and did a lot of great things, but he can't go 2 for 12. Less is sometimes more.
It's a hard thing to not shoot when you're left that wide open, Castle and Johnson learned that tonight. It took Jackson and Sanogo some time last year to adapt, he'll get there

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score
I love love love last year's team. I think they have more of a shot vs. 1999 and 2004 than 2011 or 2014 (2004 would run train on 2014), but to me they are a clear #3.

2023 was, in totality, the best team last year. Their run was amazing in the NCAAT. But they didn't play anyone all that good—they were underseeded (IMO by 1 line) and they got to avoid all 1 and 2 seeds. I think that has to play into our discussion of that run.

Now, they killed the overall #1 seed earlier in the year. But at their peak I think they'd give 1999 or 2004 a very good game and win some games in a seven game series.
I agree on this one. I think the talent and overall offensive and defensive efficiency is in that class. We had a great run last year but those two teams were dominant all year long and even in the ncaa tourney there were only one or two close games. 1999 was Gonzaga and Duke and by memory 2004 there was the Duke game and I really can’t think of any other game that was close in the tourney. This team has the look of a team that can be dominant in that class. I know it is going to be fun to watch. If we end up the top one seed in the tourney the pressure is going to be enormous. This is basketball heaven for me.

Reaction Score
I agree on this one. I think the talent and overall offensive and defensive efficiency is in that class. We had a great run last year but those two teams were dominant all year long and even in the ncaa tourney there were only one or two close games. 1999 was Gonzaga and Duke and by memory 2004 there was the Duke game and I really can’t think of any other game that was close in the tourney. This team has the look of a team that can be dominant in that class. I know it is going to be fun to watch. If we end up the top one seed in the tourney the pressure is going to be enormous. This is basketball heaven for me.
2004 killed everyone but Duke. And they were absolutely smoking Duke until the refs called a second foul on Okafor. It was like 11-2. The refs were awful on both sides in that Duke-UConn game, but Calhoun took the gamble to sit Okafor and we were down most of it. Turns out it was the right call because we had Horvath defending Okafor in key moments.

Long and short of it is that 2004 team won their tournament games by:

1* (random Duhon 3)

Almost all the games but the Duke game were over by the under-8 minute mark in the first half. And, again, we were up by almost double figures against Duke by the 16 minute mark before the terrible refs made that a game.

1999...that team had some tough games (Iowa, Gonzaga, Ohio State, Duke) but all were against good tough teams, and that win against Duke is the single best win against the single best team UConn ever played.

Reaction Score
This. Outside a quick deep jack from Newton and a couple sloppy drives, the offense we ran was very good. Tons of open shots (Castle looking at you) that were missed. Even Spencer was missing some of the step back 8 footers he never misses.

No problem with the offense, shots just did not fall at the normal. Oh well, its nice to blowout a top 20 team on nights like that.
Spencer missed 4-5 8 footers in second half which he never misses. Even diarra missed a 3. Horrible shooting night and dormey early. Same some of the makes for at creighton

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Best team defense of the season. I have little doubt that Dan is not pleased when we gave up 81, 75 and 67 in consecutive games. Clingan helps a lot, not just rim protection but in allowing us to have the depth to play aggressively. It impacts both Johnson and Karaban. Maybe even Castle. Helps rebounding as well, our guys have been tentative worried about fouls.

Hated the slow down game late, but the results are still the results. Coaches do it for a reason.

We aren‘t quite a wagon yet. But of we can combine that defense with the offense we showed recently, nobody is going to want to play us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom