crappy winter weather a factor for Monday? | The Boneyard

crappy winter weather a factor for Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Looks like snowfall Sunday and Monday. Will there be a game at all? Will everyone who bought a ticket be able to brave the treacherous terrain and hills around Tolland, Willington, and Mansfield? How much of a homecourt advantage would it be? Question marks?

I have no answers- just something to keep an eye out for over the weekend...

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
If South Carolina can make it, and our team gets back from the road okay, there will be a game unless Malloy closes the roads. All the seats will end up filled by students, but that might work just fine! ESPN will love it!

Reaction Score
I for one welcome the weather and not just because I'm a XC ski racer:) I'm planning on driving up from Mystic to Storrs and meeting my daughter (who is in her senior year at UConn) for dinner and the game. I always scalp tix so I can get really good seats and this weather will certainly drop the price of those courtside seats!! For those of you who drive up, be safe and enjoy the game-it should be close for at least the first 10:00!!! Poor SC, they are going to have to deal with the blizzard on the outside and then deal with the HEAT inside Gampel:)

Reaction Score
It would be terrible if it were canceled since they wouldn't be able to make it up. Fan and player safety comes first though. Too bad they couldn't just move it to South Carolina because that would be a quick trip for UConn since they'll be at USF this weekend.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
It would be terrible if it were canceled since they wouldn't be able to make it up. Fan and player safety comes first though. Too bad they couldn't just move it to South Carolina because that would be a quick trip for UConn since they'll be at USF this weekend.

Um, the USF game is on March 2....

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I believe in 2003 there was a true blizzard, but everyone showed up for the Tennessee game. However, Hartford is a bit easier to get to than Storrs. That being said, navigating through weather that bad is impressive, even in a centralized location like Hartford.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They are going somewhere this weekend, aren't they? Most of these AAC teams are in the south.
Memphis for some blues and BBQ. Oh and a little hoops.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I believe in 2003 there was a true blizzard, but everyone showed up for the Tennessee game. However, Hartford is a bit easier to get to than Storrs. That being said, navigating through weather that bad is impressive, even in a centralized location like Hartford.
I was there (and we met the team after the game at Hot Tomato) and we will be there Monday

Reaction Score
I was there (and we met the team after the game at Hot Tomato) and we will be there Monday
I was there but had to settle for meeting Sue Bird's Dad. That was an awesome game.

Reaction Score
Went home from Gampel after receiving a foot of snow during Rutgers game many years ago. That was fun although many cars spent the night in the 9 and X lots. Yes, of course I have an SUV and am looking forward to the game no matter what.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score

They are playing Memphis this Saturday but it's a great idea to switch the game to Columbia IF there is a problem with either team traveling. But I'm sure both teams will figure a way to play in Storrs... I think SC can travel on Saturday under NCAA rules...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
They are playing Memphis this Saturday but it's a great idea to switch the game to Columbia IF there is a problem with either team traveling. But I'm sure both teams will figure a way to play in Storrs... I think SC can travel on Saturday under NCAA rules...
With the weather expected, I think that would be wise. I hope their hotel is in Storrs and not in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Looks like snowfall Sunday and Monday. Will there be a game at all? Will everyone who bought a ticket be able to brave the treacherous terrain and hills around Tolland, Willington, and Mansfield? How much of a homecourt advantage would it be? Question marks?

I have no answers- just something to keep an eye out for over the weekend...
Uconn should be prepared for this by making it known that if the weather is bad they would open up seats to students (on campus already). Yes, they would need some plan as to when to let the students fill in the gaps. I think this would actually benefit Uconn. Imagine if most seats where filled with students instead of the usual crowd. Nothing against the usual crowd, but the regulars are older (I am older) and a whole gym full of students would be MUCH louder.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Uconn should be prepared for this by making it known that if the weather is bad they would open up seats to students (on campus already). Yes, they would need some plan as to when to let the students fill in the gaps. I think this would actually benefit Uconn. Imagine if most seats where filled with students instead of the usual crowd. Nothing against the usual crowd, but the regulars are older (I am older) and a whole gym full of students would be MUCH louder.
Could they do that since the game is sold out? Are all of your seats reserved or are most general admission?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
All seats are reserved or assigned on ticket. I booked the Best Western in Willamantic for Sunday & Monday nights- 6 miles away. I may give it up and just wing it in my SUV with my buddies. Before I cancel this bkg, if anyone wants to try to take it - pls let me know by private message. I think it was one of the last available rooms in the area because of the game & weather! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Connecticut is use to snow and has the equipment to handle it. It's only supposed to be 8 inches at the most over 3 days. No problem.

This isn't the South where the schools close if someone spills some ice from their mint julep.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Connecticut is use to snow and has the equipment to handle it. It's only supposed to be 8 inches at the most over 3 days. No problem.

This isn't the South where the schools close if someone spills some ice from their mint julep.
Heck, the schools close if snow is predicted sometimes, without even having materialized!

Reaction Score

Bestiarius- - The problem is most roads in and out of Storrs are hills! And the state does a good job on the highways, but individual towns can be rather helpless in any snow storm! I live in New London, and they suck! One forecast I heard tonight says 2" Sunday, near 8" Monday and 2" on Tuesday.
Remember when they had the huge snowstorm during the Big East Tournament 2001? Where Sue Bird made the last second basket to beat ND, the roof leaked during the Rutgers game, and UCONN let fans leave their cars in North and South garages no charge, now they'd charge us the $12.00 fee, my buddy and I stayed in his son's dorm room, 1 1/2' of snow!
What really sucks is the UCONN season tix holders looked forward to this date all season then I get 1 storm 28", another storm 10" in New London and other towns, then get hit with 3 days of on & off snow! The previous storms totals will most likely keep the crowd down because it's usually and older crowd, I'm 67, and they may not want to deal with more snow!

mr006

Reaction Score

12/30/2000 game, and yes, all but about 700 got to the XL - I don't recall if Hartford technically got the "blizzard" (NY got the brunt of that one), but the traffic was difficult at best; IIRC, Hartford got a foot or so? Nonetheless, ESPN would plow the road, if they needed to get the teams into town ;). This is their biggie for the regular season; barring the state closing the roads, they will play. How many fans get there may be iffy.

Reaction Score
Could they do that since the game is sold out? Are all of your seats reserved or are most general admission?
It's possible they could to send out a notice to fans with tickets that if they are 100% sure they aren't going to go because of the weather conditions to call in with seat numbers they won't use. Not only do fans far away have to deal with getting there, but also getting home, finding places to eat, and more. A true fan would want the house packed and loud.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
How many SC fans will travel to this game? Do they travel well to other games?

We had about 2500 fans at Duke and 500 or so at Georgia last night. A weeknight game in midwinter in Connecticut? Probably only a handful. We have a large alumni base in NYC, but with it being a weeknight, I doubt many can make it. I would have gone on a weekend, but I'd have to take prob 3 days off from work to make this trip. I'm saving time for the NCAAT.

Reaction Score
The weather outside will be frightful, well maybe. But if it is bad enough that you don't want to make the trec to Storrs and you have two tickets please let me know. I may be interested. I'm out of work so I can't pay a boadload but maybe we can work something out. I live in MA (Springfield) so depending on the roads it may/may not work for me either. But I'm an optimist and would love to see the game. I've never been to Gampel so I may be biting off more than I can chew both with travel and parking. But one step at a time. First, I would have to have 2 tickets. Either way Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like the snow is going to be that bad, maybe 8-12 inches spread out over a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom