Courtney Banghart | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Courtney Banghart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Striper is hanging on to the the Princeton bandwagon for dear life.
barkley-head-shake-o.gif

Need to go on a diet, Charlie...

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if Banghart took one of these big state school jobs being tossed about in this thread. This is a Dartmouth grad and former player that's made her coaching chops at Princeton. That's a very suggestive profile, and I suspect any future career moves will be guided by similar criteria.

Reaction Score
If she does, in fact, decide to move to another coaching job then she should move out of that league. It's really holding her back.

Reaction Score
I was bored so I opened this thread again...

they beat SC at home with the BIG crowd (that wasn't there this weekend) but they won't be at Gampel next time.

Hope UCONN doesn't think they'll "destroy" Maryland.

Cause they'll get a big wakeup call...
Home crowd worth 25 points?? 3 Maybe, but not 25

Team may not think they will destroy Maryland, but they will, IF Maryland gets to FF

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
What the hell does this even mean?
Exactly what it says- I like her. I think she looks like a coach. I don't think she is very good at coaching. I was responding to someone accusing much of the board being Duke haters. Does that clear up anything for you?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Exactly what it says- I like her. I think she looks like a coach. I don't think she is very good at coaching. I was responding to someone accusing much of the board being Duke haters. Does that clear up anything for you?
Could you give an example of a coach who doesn't look like a coach?

Reaction Score
After witnessing what happened to her team in the NCAA tournament I'm not so sure she should stay with the program unless she's dead set on coaching this Ivy league team. I think her team will get the same treatment next season and will always be at a disadvantage with seeding and not get to host first round games no matter how well they do. This will happen time and again. I doubt if teams that would make their schedule stronger will want to play them anytime soon (how about it UCONN- Duke- ND?).

If she's truly interested in becoming an Elite Division I coach maybe she should move up to a better conference. The constrictions on Ivy League teams considering the academic requirements make the pool of players she can getto play on her team very small in the first place.

I really disagree with that - sure the academic requirements limit your pool, but as many of the Ivy League schools have full scholarships once you're admitted (for many non-athletes too) they have a pretty good academic draw. I think if she plays it right she CAN recruit some pretty good and athletic players, it's just going to take time. I can see them starting to take players away from places like Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, etc.). Let's see where they are in 7-8 years if she stays.

Reaction Score
I still say that she may be selling herself short if she stays in that league. The NCAA will never give that team an even break. Sorry but that's just how it is.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind a few things:

Courtney played at Dartmouth, so the Ivies are in her blood. She may have no interest is going to a WCBB powerhouse, though Duke would be an excellent fit.

Princeton is hampered by the Ivy schedule and academic requirements for admission, but I think they can position themselves uniquely. Princeton has an incredible draw for obvious reasons. Courtney may be able to get some of the kids who are considering Duke or Stanford. I think she could create a mid-major team that is head and shoulders better than the other Ivies and consistently ranked in the top 25.

I would love to see her follow this track you have laid out; however, I have no idea about the 'special' arrangements schools like ND , Duke (a lot would be my guess here) and Stanford (perhaps a short rope) have regarding student athletes- beyond the scholarship issue. But most students at the Ivy are given aid, so it would be called something else. In fact, she could recruit the world and lick the cream off the top of the army of recruits lining up for Duke, etc. What would Duke, ND etc have that would sell better then a Princeton buttered dough?

Reaction Score
I would love to see her follow this track you have laid out; however, I have no idea about the 'special' arrangements schools like ND , Duke (a lot would be my guess here) and Stanford (perhaps a short rope) have regarding student athletes- beyond the scholarship issue. But most students at the Ivy are given aid, so it would be called something else. In fact, she could recruit the world and lick the cream off the top of the army of recruits lining up for Duke, etc. What would Duke, ND etc have that would sell better then a Princeton buttered dough?
Re: MilfordHusky's comment about Princeton consistantly being in the Top 25- that didn't do them a lot of good this season. (The thread was buried under dozens of 0 reply threads so I thought I'd revive it)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I went to two Ivy schools and UConn (plus Lehigh), so I have a long familiarity with Ivy basketball. When I went to Penn, the men's team was nationally ranked. Princeton sent some really good players to the NBA. They also were traditionally a thorn in the NCAAs, even as a 16 seed, because they play very smart basketball.

Courtney got lots of recognition this year. Let's see if Princeton can build on that. I just saw that Blake is forgoing her senior season in lacrosse for a shot at a WNBA career.

Courtney is still young, but I think she would be a great fit at Duke and wouldn't have a string of sorry-ass pressers. I'd be willing to consider her as Geno's replacement in 10 years. :)

Reaction Score
I think Blake will be a no-brainer for an WNBA team that needs a point guard.

If Princeton can get some Top 25 teams to play them in OOC games then she will do well in the NCAA's in the future.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Blake will be a no-brainer for an WNBA team that needs a point guard.

If Princeton can get some Top 25 teams to play them in OOC games then she will do well in the NCAA's in the future.
I saw Blake in 2 games on TV. She's not the quickest or fastest, but she's smart, tall, and tough. And she shoots well, with a quick release. The projection was for a mid second rounder. I'm not sure she's athletic enough for the WNBA, but I'd like to see her succeed. She has to work hard to improve. I love that she was the all-time leading scorer at Wellesley High, girls or boys, in both hoops and LAX. Plus she's an English major at Princeton. Impressive kid!

Reaction Score
I think if MD played Princeton at Princeton the game may have went another way because teams aren't used to playing in a place like Jadwin Gym.

Blake was the main reason they went undefeated as long as they did. I think she'll be a lot like Bria and will run whatever team drafts her like a true point guard.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I really disagree with that - sure the academic requirements limit your pool, but as many of the Ivy League schools have full scholarships once you're admitted (for many non-athletes too) they have a pretty good academic draw. I think if she plays it right she CAN recruit some pretty good and athletic players, it's just going to take time. I can see them starting to take players away from places like Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, etc.). Let's see where they are in 7-8 years if she stays.

Wrong. No athletic scholarships no matter what, at Ivies. Only established financial aid. I know, I paid the bills.

Reaction Score
Milford Husky: "Courtney is still young, but I think she would be a great fit at Duke and wouldn't have a string of sorry-ass pressers. I'd be willing to consider her as Geno's replacement in 10 years."

It is truly depressing to acknowledge that Geno and CD will eventually retire, but as successful as Banghart has been at Princeton, she is missing two essential elements that I would like to to see in UConn's next :( head coach. Though there will never ever be another the likes of Geno, I do think an enormous, charismatic personality with the ability to really understand, inspire and motivate young women are essential requisites. Banghart seems very low-key. I'd also prefer a Husky who has played for Geno and is thus perhaps capable of replicating a facsimile of that which makes UConn's program unique and exceptional- the "Geno System" of practice, play and team. Now I've bummed myself out because catching lightning twice is so unlikely. :( So maybe a completely new direction? :( Too depressing.

Reaction Score
I'm reading John Wooden's book "They Call Me Coach" right now.

In it he said as he went onto the court when they won the last championship he thought to himself "Im really wrung out". The pressure of winning those titles got to him. He also got tired of fan's overboard expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom