Courtney Banghart | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Courtney Banghart

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
No chance Banghart stays in state to Rutgers huh? :)
The problem is, Vivian isn't going anywhere immediately.

While next year is the only one guaranteed, RU has some good talent coming in next year and Viv has no real interest - at this moment - in retiring. And RU has enough issues that, if they were to let her go, it would be to go really, really cheap, probably cheaper than Banghart will be.

In the abstract it has been talked about. The biggest question with her is recruiting, as the Ivies don't do athletic scholarships (most of the players are on academic ones). But she doesn't move in the same recruiting circles as Vivian, for example. That might be able to be overcome, but it is a concern.

Reaction Score
Why? It's not gonna help his team all that much, if any. Another mid major team to pummel. It could help Princeton, so if they want the help, they should reach out to UCONN. Have they? If not, then talk is cheap. Back it up.
Unless Geno's scared...

do you know about the UCLA Bruins of the '60s and '70s? Milford Husky and others can tell you about them and the way they played the game under John Wooden. He played ND twice a year home and home a week apart. They used to play a lot of big games in November and December. This was while he and the Bruins were ruling Div. I men's basketball during their unbeaten streaks. They didn't televise many of the games in those days. You had to just visualize those games in your own imagination by reading the news reports for the most part.

Wooden didn't leave any doubt about what team was the best.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't see the need for either program to schedule a series. Princeton is not ready for UCONN. Princeton did not even win the Ivy last year. They won Ivy 4-5 years prior to that, but those Ivy League titles translated to virtually no NCAA tournament success. I think Princeton’s next step is to translate Ivy League domination into NCAA tournament success and build a reputation as a dangerous Mid-major team like Marist used to be. Marist actually had some success in the NCAA (sweet sixteen??). If the two teams still feel the need to play then target the same early season tournament like UCONN playing Marist in paradise Jam in 2012.
It remains to be seen whether UCONN can beat Maryland even on a neutral court. You guys are putting the cart before the horse...

Reaction Score
I think it would be a mistake to take the Georgia job. No matter how good Georgia is in MBB or WBB, their attendance is mediocre and their facilities are, too. Georgia fans only care about football.
But Georgia would mean she's coaching in the SEC against SC. I think the Ga. fans would get interested pretty fast with that rivalr.

Reaction Score
You guys are also getting way too overconfident. UCONN has run roughshod over a weak conference during the regular season and conference tourney. Before that they beat a ND team that was missing their star forward and also beat a dysfunctional Duke team.

Don't forget they lost to Stanford.

Now they've just beat a 16 seed and a beaten up Rutgers team.

I hate to tell you but the jury's still out...

Reaction Score
Not sure how heralded those two were... but A.S. was the FIBA Europe Young player of the year in 2014. She is a starter on a pro team in Spain. Im excited at the opportunity to see her in action next season. Im a huge fan of Cooper.... and if Belton returns from her ACL injury... i think we will be fine in the post.
Fine but not done. I would like to see us go all out for Lauren Cox.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
But Georgia would mean she's coaching in the SEC against SC. I think the Ga. fans would get interested pretty fast with that rivalr.
As successful as Andy Landers was there for years, they never really drew well.

Reaction Score
You guys are also getting way too overconfident. UCONN has run roughshod over a weak conference during the regular season and conference tourney. Before that they beat a ND team that was missing their star forward and also beat a dysfunctional Duke team.

Don't forget they beat a full-strength #1 SC team by 25.

Jury is out, but mainly re. Notre Dame. UCONN will destroy Maryland.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Georgia, Florida, Utah & Kansas all have head coach openings. If Courtney is looking for a significant larger pay check any of these might work. The men’s coaches at these schools are obscenely overpaid IMO so for political correctness Courtney’s contract at these schools would be pretty hefty. These schools are also in big 5 conferences and have significant Nike and Addidas deals in place which cover entire athletic departments.
wouldn't be surprised if AZ opens up too...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Unless Geno's scared...
HAVE THEY EVEN ASKED ABOUT A GAME!!!????

If you don't know, then you're just flapping your trap about something you have no clue about.

do you know about the UCLA Bruins of the '60s and '70s? Milford Husky and others can tell you about them and the way they played the game under John Wooden. He played ND twice a year home and home a week apart. They used to play a lot of big games in November and December. This was while he and the Bruins were ruling Div. I men's basketball during their unbeaten streaks. They didn't televise many of the games in those days. You had to just visualize those games in your own imagination by reading the news reports for the most part.
Wooden didn't leave any doubt about what team was the best.
Wait a minute. You're not actually trying to suggest that Princeton is even considered in the conversation with UCONN are you???

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

The jury is still out?

youve-got-to-be-kidding-me.jpg

Reaction Score
I think it would be a mistake to take the Georgia job. No matter how good Georgia is in MBB or WBB, their attendance is mediocre and their facilities are, too. Georgia fans only care about football.
We can change. We can change. In any case, what does an SC chicken know?:)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Couldn't we have said the exact same thing about South Carolina -" all their fans care about is football" until Dawn's arrival?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn can give Stewie the night off and beat Maryland at Maryland.
UCONN did give KML and Morgan Tuck the night off and beat MD at MD when MD still had Thomas in uniform. Ok, technically they were injured but it was still a UCONN beat down.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Unless Geno's scared...

Striper, Geno deals with a plethora of 18-22 year old women every day. It would take A LOT to get him shakin' in his shoes & game with Princeton isn't even on the radar in that regard! ;)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
UCONN did give KML and Morgan Tuck the night off and beat MD at MD when MD still had Thomas in uniform. Ok, technically they were injured but it was still a UCONN beat down.
And, not to pile on, but Brenda Frese certainly had the opportunity to continue the regular-season series with UConn instead of ending it after last year. She is one of the many Top-15, P5 coaches who does not consider it to be in her team's best interest to play UConn during the season. I think that justifies the inference that she doesn't think her team would be competitive.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Couldn't we have said the exact same thing about South Carolina -" all their fans care about is football" until Dawn's arrival?

No, we have highly rated attendance in baseball, soccer, men's basketball (considering how bad we've been) and other sports.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
If there was ever a good time for Banghart to jump ship to a stronger program, now is the time since the iron is hot. She should be able to land a great gig with a significant pay increase if she decides to leave Princeton.
I have been telling my inside crew, I would not be surprised if she ends up at Duke!
That may be a perfect fit for her and Duke!!!! That's my feeling!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
We're essentially starting 4 underclassman with 3 coming off the bench, yet we're in the Sweet 16? Thanks but no thanks. And no matter who came to coach Duke, Sierra is not returning. She didn't leave because of Joanne P, and there's no indication that Coach P was the reason she left. If you did research, idk if you did or didn't, it seemed like her parents is the one who plugged the plug. Coach P stated that Sierra wanted to return. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.d...846&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209872188&DB_OEM_ID=4200. The Duke dislike is obvious,50/50, on this board and that's why I LOVE both Duke programs because if you do not like Duke you hate them. There's plenty of programs that would want her like Georgia or Ku, yet you force Duke name in this discussion based on a tweet by Mike Flynn, a known Coach P hater? Open your eyes people.:cool: Back to Courtney Banghart I would like to see her at Rutgers.
I am not a Duke hater. I've spoken to Joanne P , and like her. She looks like what a basketball coach should look like to me. I believe in my heart, that for whatever reason, she consistently accomplishes less with more! Having said that, coach Banghart, would be a natural fit for Duke coming from Princeton. Gonzaga and Ga Tech also! Rutgers would be the last place she would go and a huge mistake for her-IMO. Unless that was the only great offer and she just wanted that shot at the big money. Maybe she would want to stay in that area as well- whoch could influence the decision. But it would be a terrible move for her coaching wise for the long term. The entire culture at Rutgers is different/opposite to Princeton!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I am not a Duke hater. I've spoken to Joanne P , and like her. She looks like what a basketball coach should look like to me. I believe in my heart, that for whatever reason, she consistently accomplishes less with more! Having said that, coach Banghart, would be a natural fit for Duke coming from Princeton. Gonzaga and Ga Tech also! Rutgers would be the last place she would go and a huge mistake for her-IMO. Unless that was the only great offer and she just wanted that shot at the big money. Maybe she would want to stay in that area as well- whoch could influence the decision. But it would be a terrible move for her coaching wise for the long term. The entire culture at Rutgers is different/opposite to Princeton!
As I said above, I don't know particularly think she would be a good fit, but I think it is at best difficult to compare the culture at Rutgers - academic or athletic - with Princeton and get a conclusion.

To a great extent, the academic university is an excellent research institution and that has always been much of the focus at RU; their recent 1 Billion Dollar campaign designated that bulk of the money to that aspect, as membership in the CIC, the B1G's academic arm, will bring increased grant money as well. In the abstract, RU would like to consider itself a "public Ivy".

On the other hand, what RU lacks generally is the money that is around Princeton University. Princeton is all about being Ivy League in an academic sense and for that matter, so is the town of Princeton. There also is no comparing, I suspect, the financial worth of the students. All of that said, I'm not sure that the schools compete directly in that many specific disciplines. Rutgers is poor.

If RU can correctly be accused of currently operating athletics "on the cheap", obviously they are still in a different "world" than Princeton.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
wouldn't be surprised if AZ opens up too...
It will not be opening up. School announced at the end of the season that coach Butts will be returning next year, the final year of her contract.

I strongly suspect that another bad year next year will be the end. This is 2 years in a row that pressure from fans has forced a statement from the AD regarding her status; the gist is that she is under contract (i.e. would be owed money if replaced) and has had some adversity (transfers and injuries) that she should have a chance to overcome. She is also "popular" in the athletic department, whatever that means.

I personally like her but still think she can't do the job, but we will se.

Reaction Score
Don't forget they beat a full-strength #1 SC team by 25.

Jury is out, but mainly re. Notre Dame. UCONN will destroy Maryland.
I was bored so I opened this thread again...

they beat SC at home with the BIG crowd (that wasn't there this weekend) but they won't be at Gampel next time.

Hope UCONN doesn't think they'll "destroy" Maryland.

Cause they'll get a big wakeup call...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member