Could we win it all? | The Boneyard

Could we win it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Once you get to the sweet 16, especially looking at this years tournament field, the national championship is really up for grabs. This team has what it takes and I think has just enough pieces to get the job done. You need 3 keys pieces to be a champion:

1) Great guard play
Is there any question that we have the best front court in the country? Shabazz is the most clutch player in the country and can bring us over the hump in those closer games. Boat has become a key play maker, who's assists have been off the charts lately and gives a chance for Bazz to play off the ball. And now with emergence of Terrence Samuel we have a reliable back up and spark off the bench.

2) Shooters
We have multiple long range threats in NG, RB, LK, SN, and DD. Hell, maybe even Omar could still come in a light it up out of no where.

3) A great big man
Amida is becoming a force inside and a true defensive anchor. That takes away a lot of scoring options for opponents and is an intimidation factor. It forces teams to beat us from the outside (as we saw with Nova). Nolan is contributing positive minutes and we have an option in Olander if we need a little more muscle and tourney experience. I truely think the two headed monster of Amida and Phil will hold their own. Plus Deandre and Neils has really pitched in big time in the rebounding and defense department.

In addition we are quick, we are a veteran squad, we are hungry as ever for being left out last year, and last but not least we have arguably the best up and coming coach in the game right now. Coach Ollie is a young charismatic coach who loves his team and his school, and his passion for the game rubs off on everyone. He understands the game and it shows in his in game execution. Could you all imagine if he could win a ring in his first tournament appearance and on his first attempt?!? That would be an achievement of epic proportions, something that would secure our position as one of the greatest programs in history and for many years to come (seeing that coach has probably decades left ahead of him). The 5 star recruits would be flocking in from everywhere and we would become even more attractive than we already are to big time conferences.

In short, the opportunity is there for us to seize. The only ones that can stop us is ourselves (and maybe Louisville lol). The way this tournament has been going with parity as high as it is, I like our chances.

Let's get it boys! Bleed blue! GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
I may be talking crazy here but we can beat Louisville. First off we need defensive intensity like yesterday. Secondly, TSam is going to play more minutes on Smith. It's a tough matchup granted but the team is more confident now.

Edge2017

Bleed Blue
Reaction Score
If Bazz continues to do Bazz things, our defense remains stellar, and guys keep making shots, I don't see why not.

Reaction Score
I'm thrilled with just making it to the sweet 16 and yes we can win it all, we need to do a little better job of cutting down on turnovers, those layups we missed against Nova can't happen moving forward. Gotta take it one game at a time, you gotta get to the Elite 8 first.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Right now fivethirtyeight has UConn as a 3% chance of winning the championship, there are 9 teams ahead of us in the odds and a bunch right behind at 2%. That will change once all of today's games are played. I would think if Louisville gets knocked off that would increase our chances.

Reaction Score
Digger Phelps asked Jay Bilas on ESPN if this year's team could repeat 2011's team. Bilas' reply was no b/c Napier's supporting cast is not as good as Walker's cast. J. Lamb etc. I disagree.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
162935562_daf31c14c3.jpg

Reaction Score
The odds are against us, but on any given night, we can beat any team in the field. Its all about matchups. The problem is that there will be a few teams that we don't matchup well against. I also think we are better in the second game of the weekends as I think if another team has a week to prepare for us, they can take more away than visa versa. Case in point, Nova should have taken inside on us a lot more. NC and Mich St both have big rebounding teams. If we are in foul trouble, we will be in trouble in those games if our outside shot it not falling. Then there is the Ville and Florida, who hasn't lost since we played them.

Reaction Score
On Monday there will be 16 teams that can win it all. Our only task is to whittle it down to 8 by Saturday morning.

Reaction Score
yes...

But any team could get hot and take it this year ...

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
By no means am I saying we should look ahead. Absolutely we should take it one game at a time. I am just opening discussion for our chances.

Reaction Score
I believe 2004's mantra was "Why not us?" So, yeah.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I haven't seen a game by anyone yet that suggests "unbeatable". Even Louisville.

We know Ville and I think Pitino has our number. Still, somebody else could take them out.

Both Florida and UVA all look like they have another gear to shut teams down when things get tight. But if they shoot remotely as poorly as Nova, there's a chance.

Fortunately for UConn, if we do get to UVA and beat them, it'll be great preparation for facing either FL or Ville.

Reaction Score
Digger Phelps asked Jay Bilas on ESPN if this year's team could repeat 2011's team. Bilas' reply was no b/c Napier's supporting cast is not as good as Walker's cast. J. Lamb etc. I disagree.
Bilas hasn't thought much of us all year and had us losing first round so take his comment with a grain of salt. The way we are playing, we have a chance. We have some flaws but so does everyone else except for maybe Florida and Louisville. Our flaws can be covered up though with our stellar guard play and defensive intensity. We have a chance and that's all you can ask for.

Reaction Score

When's the last time Bilas was right?

Reaction Score
"I want to just keep riding Uncle Mo," Ollie said.
"That's momentum. Wherever it takes us, it takes us."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bilas hasn't thought much of us all year and had us losing first round so take his comment with a grain of salt. The way we are playing, we have a chance. We have some flaws but so does everyone else except for maybe Florida and Louisville. Our flaws can be covered up though with our stellar guard play and defensive intensity. We have a chance and that's all you can ask for.

Even Louisville has some flaws. If you can play their defensive against them (a la Manhattan), they're beatable. That said, it is very hard to do and dependent on personnel. Haven't watched Florida enough to comment. That Wilbekin kid is a nice player and Patric Young has a godlike physic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom