Could Uconn try this play with the ACC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Could Uconn try this play with the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's BS. Blumenthal was just being Blumenthal - a politician. UConn with all the other BE schools filed that lawsuit; we weren't out in front leading the band. It was actually the Pitt President (who I think is an attorney) & the WVU President who were the significant parties in the backbone of the legal strategy back then.

I actually think BC & Syracuse are sounding like Ex-wives. Rationalizing their own bad behavior with tales from Brothers Grimm. They were underhanded. In achieving their goal, they had to do unethical backroom tactics screwing longstanding partners. The just reward ... would be a few decades of athletic irrelevance.

I could care less what ACC folks think of Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
LMFAO. Yes, the ACC is going to take us for hoops only and pay us double what their other schools, including Duke and UNC, take for hoops.

When pigs friggin fly.

Seriously -- why do you post stuff like this?

Well ... let's NOT forget one thing that makes HFD numbers make sense: We have a WBB program that has Value. So $7-10m ... if the ACC programs are worth $5 ... might make sense if you include Geno ... and could keep that brand past his retirement (???_)>.

Reaction Score
BYU has the same problem that Notre Dame has ... and why they wanted to get to an ACC type conference. The Major Conferences will be going to 9 game schedules. Notre Dame, in taking 5 ACC games per year, acknowledged that they saw a future whereby they would have to take games against lesser FBS schools ... and that is against the Brand they want to be. The Tulsas & Western Michigans are done.

BYU has had a good schedule this year. On TV a few times already. But, can that be sustained into the future?

Reaction Score
Why does this make sense for the ACC?

For one, if they wanted to add non-FB schools, they could just as easily go for Georgetown, Villanova, or St John's. And while you may laugh at the latter, a chance to be at MSG and get NY media attention is very attractive.

Most of the folks on this board have screamed and yelled that being in a conference with non-FB schools is a death knell. What reason would the ACC have to head down that road? And please don't bring up that they've done it with ND. If you still don't understand that the Irish are a very very special case, I can't help you.

Part of the reason for expansion is to shrink the pool. They don't want to take all the Eastern teams -- they want some of them to die on the vine, putting the ACC in position to steal that turf -- whether it's recruiting, markets, or prestige.

What makes you think anyone here is concerned about why this makes sense for the ACC?

Reaction Score
What makes you think anyone here is concerned about why this makes sense for the ACC?

I continually see the statement "this makes sense for the ACC."
I've yet to see the evidence that is the case.

Reaction Score
That's the real problem. In this hypothetical, UConn would get a cut from the ACC for all sports but football. I don't know what financial arrangements Notre Dame has with the ACC, but I'd imagine the payout would be the same. If you buy the idea that football is 80 % of the contract value (a comment that came up during the last renegotiation), that means less than $4 million for everything else. Let's round it to an even $4 million for all non-football sports.

The deal BYU has with ESPN reportedly averages $4 million per year. BYU has both a much longer (and more successful) football history and a more national following. I don't see how UConn could possibly match that. But assuming that UConn could, it means only $4 million for football.

So in total that means $8 million for all sports. Obviously its unknown what a new Big East deal would yield per school. But I think most would be shocked if it's less that $8 million. So basically a pretty optimistic view of an ACC move vs. a pretty pessimistic view of staying in the Big East are about the same money wise. It's hard to justify the financials of this hypothetical, which is part of the reason the "rumors" are hard to believe. It only really works if UConn can land its football team somewhere. And the only sensible option is the Big East. So it boils down to if the Big East is willing to keep UConn football for the sake of the overall league. I guess it depends on how bitter the Big East would be if UConn tried such a move.
I had thought the byu deal was worth upwards of 1mil per home game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle