Could Uconn try this play with the ACC? | The Boneyard

Could Uconn try this play with the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am sure the President and AD have already considered this, but I was just wondering.........

Could we offer to join the ACC for all sports except Football? In my opinion, adding UCONN Bball to the ACC would clearly make the ACC the best basketball conference in the land. Also, adding Uconn in basketball would help with scheduling for the ACC. In addition, our olympic sports are solid across the board and could compete well in the ACC. We could keep our football program in the Big East and just be a football only member like Boise State. FSU and Clemson shouldn't complain because we wouldn't weaken the ACC football brand and BC could still consider itself New Englands premeir football program. It's a win win for everyone. We keep our basketball program and olympic sports relevant and if and when ND has to join a conference for football we could just slide in to the ACC with them.
I believe I read that 80% of the ACC TV contract is for football and the remainder comes from Bball. Therefore, UCONN could negotiate an exit fee for around 20% of $50 million dollars or $10 million dollars. $10 million dollars is a reasonable exit fee just in case in the unlikely event the B12 or B1G come calling.
I am guessing our Bball programs aren't worth enough to ESPN for the ACC to add us for everything but football. However, it's worth the phone call though in my opinion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why would the Big East allow us to do that? It's pretty obvious they wouldn't.

Reaction Score
I am sure the President and AD have already considered this, but I was just wondering.........

Could we offer to join the ACC for all sports except Football? In my opinion, adding UCONN Bball to the ACC would clearly make the ACC the best basketball conference in the land. Also, adding Uconn in basketball would help with scheduling for the ACC. In addition, our olympic sports are solid across the board and could compete well in the ACC. We could keep our football program in the Big East and just be a football only member like Boise State. FSU and Clemson shouldn't complain because we wouldn't weaken the ACC football brand and BC could still consider itself New Englands premeir football program. It's a win win for everyone. We keep our basketball program and olympic sports relevant and if and when ND has to join a conference for football we could just slide in to the ACC with them.
I believe I read that 80% of the ACC TV contract is for football and the remainder comes from Bball. Therefore, UCONN could negotiate an exit fee for around 20% of $50 million dollars or $10 million dollars. $10 million dollars is a reasonable exit fee just in case in the unlikely event the B12 or B1G come calling.
I am guessing our Bball programs aren't worth enough to ESPN for the ACC to add us for everything but football. However, it's worth the phone call though in my opinion.
i suggested that, but u would need to go independent in FB with a guarantee you would xome in with ND. The ACC $ might be close to the BE money, now that ND has left. I feel for you guys and Lville. Fluck RU.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Why would the Big East allow us to do that? It's pretty obvious they wouldn't.

Does the Big East have a choice? Wouldn't they gladly keep UConn football then to add yet another Con-USA/Mountain West castoff? Te=he bigger question is why would the ACC accept. Partial memberships always seem like a bad idea. You can make an argument that Notre Dame is the exception to the rule. But UConn is not Notre Dame

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sounds good - as long we can bump teams with a better record to get into ACC bowls.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Does the Big East have a choice? Wouldn't they gladly keep UConn football then to add yet another Con-USA/Mountain West castoff? Te=he bigger question is why would the ACC accept. Partial memberships always seem like a bad idea. You can make an argument that Notre Dame is the exception to the rule. But UConn is not Notre Dame
You do it to improve--and make easier for scheduling--your olympic sports without diluting the football. Also, it makes it very easy when ND fully joins to have UConn fully join.

A lineup of Duke, UNC, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Maryland and the rest is a ridiculous hoops lineup. And much like, while not to the same extent of, Notre Dame, UConn's olympic sports are really good.

That said, I doubt this happens. If I were UConn, I'd be pitching, even if they couldn't bump an ACC school. Get your foot in the door, and unless you're Temple, you won't get kicked out.

pj

Reaction Score
UConn couldn't accept such a deal. It risks leaving the football team an orphan. Like it or not, we have to be a full member wherever we are.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yes they have a very simple choice. Independent is a non starter. There is no option so they have no reason to allow it. You may as well propose they drop football as be independent.

Reaction Score
If I had the choice I think i'd take ACC for all sports and Football indy over Big East as long as we had the bowl tie ins and five ACC teams had to play us every year. We could play Army or Navy, and ND every year (they would need someone to fill a late October / November game when conference play is in full gear and pickings are slim) a team in Midwest, Texas and a team from out West.

This move makes a lot of sense for the ACC as well.

I'm sure if the ideal scenario isn't being discussed - this option is. I honestly think the rumor of the ACC adding non-football school to the conference was just an attempt to gain leverage over a proposed 16th member in an attempt to get that school to agree to the above scenario.

Reaction Score
This makes a ton of sense for both parties. I'm sure the ACC could build in a scheduling agreement. I don't think expansion is done for the ACC and I could see something like this or even a more robust expansion.

Reaction Score
This makes a ton of sense for both parties. I'm sure the ACC could build in a scheduling agreement. I don't think expansion is done for the ACC and I could see something like this or even a more robust expansion.
Seriously. If only. The only teams I always got excited to play recently were Syracuse, Louisville, and Pitt. Villanova and Georgetown sometimes. Only Louisville is left--and they are one of the few remaining teams with a great athletic department and good history--which means they may be gone soon.

Reaction Score
Why does this make sense for the ACC?

For one, if they wanted to add non-FB schools, they could just as easily go for Georgetown, Villanova, or St John's. And while you may laugh at the latter, a chance to be at MSG and get NY media attention is very attractive.

Most of the folks on this board have screamed and yelled that being in a conference with non-FB schools is a death knell. What reason would the ACC have to head down that road? And please don't bring up that they've done it with ND. If you still don't understand that the Irish are a very very special case, I can't help you.

Part of the reason for expansion is to shrink the pool. They don't want to take all the Eastern teams -- they want some of them to die on the vine, putting the ACC in position to steal that turf -- whether it's recruiting, markets, or prestige.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Even if they gave us the same 5 game commitment as ND, would we be able to fill another 7 games? I doubt it. ND can get a game anytime they are willing to travel. We know we could get Buffalo, UMass but that's about it. Maybe the occasional game against RU or another former BE team, that's only 8. Lots of road games against the likes of the MAC or Sun Belt.

Little chance of it happening, but sadly we'd have to consider it. Now, if the have a super secret commitment from ND to join FB (they don't) that would be different. All else being equal, I'd say no. Up it to 8 games (as a non-conference member) and share the bowl tie-ins...maybe, but still too awkward for my liking. Kick out Wake Forest.

Reaction Score
if you got that deal and had 5 games with the ACC, one with UMass, one with FCS, one with Buffalo/Mac, still need to find four games. I'd offer up a game at Gillette/MetLife and then road for two. I suspect ND would be there. still leaves four spots. I guess they'd have to do go to big schools on road and take $$ to offset loss of TV dollars

Reaction Score
if you got that deal and had 5 games with the ACC, one with UMass, one with FCS, one with Buffalo/Mac, still need to find four games. I'd offer up a game at Gillette/MetLife and then road for two. I suspect ND would be there. still leaves four spots. I guess they'd have to do go to big schools on road and take $$ to offset loss of TV dollars

Would SNY be interested in UConn's football rights? If so, how much would that be worth in everyone's opinion? That is the only way i can see UConn being independent in fb working. I would really rather the team join a conference as a full member. But i guess you take what you can get at this point.

Reaction Score

UConn is playing 3 MAC teams this year (UMass, WMich and Buffalo). That may become the norm if this scenario play out. I would suspect that a deal could be made with BYU (another independent) for a long term home and home. One other top level BCS opponent like the deal with Michigan and Tennessee and the schedule fills out nicely.

In short, this would make Warde's job more difficult as he would have to become a scheduling gugu to fill out the 12 games, but it is not impossible.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
5 acc teams
2 nbe teams
2 mac teams(umass is 1)
1 or 2 bcs games(like tenn and michigan types...)
fcs if needed

Reaction Score
Does anyone here think our football tv value is worth enough to someone to make it work? Seriously? Look at byu's contract with espn for example. I don't think we bring as much following to the table as they do....

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Does anyone here think our football tv value is worth enough to someone to make it work? Seriously? Look at byu's contract with espn for example. I don't think we bring as much following to the table as they do....

if uconn basketball was in the acc next year, our basketball programs combine would be worth 7-10mil as we stand. thats over half the battle $$ wise. half of uconns schedule cuse/duke/unc etc would be big games which = big paydays on espn. remember, tier 3 is out the window so its all acc network money then,. all sports schools get what 17mil with the contract they have now? i bet uconn fball in the acc is worth 7 mil at least. the $$ is there.

Reaction Score
if uconn basketball was in the acc next year, our basketball programs combine would be worth 7-10mil as we stand. thats over half the battle $$ wise. half of uconns schedule cuse/duke/unc etc would be big games which = big paydays on espn. remember, tier 3 is out the window so its all acc network money then,. all sports schools get what 17mil with the contract they have now? i bet uconn fball in the acc is worth 7 mil at least. the $$ is there.

I think 10 is a little high. Maybe 5-7 is more like it, but there's no way we get more than 8 or 9 for football. I'm all for it if the numbers work out and there's a bowl agreement in it for us, but I just don't know of its worth it.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I think 10 is a little high. Maybe 5-7 is more like it, but there's no way we get more than 8 or 9 for football. I'm all for it if the numbers work out and there's a bowl agreement in it for us, but I just don't know of its worth it.

right now in the nbe sny says our wbball is worth 1mil, imagine a acc schedule with nd/duke/unc etc vs what we will have. wbball will be worth almost 2 mil
mbball will be worth 5mil and up with a acc schedule.
7mil is the bottom imho.

Reaction Score

That's the real problem. In this hypothetical, UConn would get a cut from the ACC for all sports but football. I don't know what financial arrangements Notre Dame has with the ACC, but I'd imagine the payout would be the same. If you buy the idea that football is 80 % of the contract value (a comment that came up during the last renegotiation), that means less than $4 million for everything else. Let's round it to an even $4 million for all non-football sports.

The deal BYU has with ESPN reportedly averages $4 million per year. BYU has both a much longer (and more successful) football history and a more national following. I don't see how UConn could possibly match that. But assuming that UConn could, it means only $4 million for football.

So in total that means $8 million for all sports. Obviously its unknown what a new Big East deal would yield per school. But I think most would be shocked if it's less that $8 million. So basically a pretty optimistic view of an ACC move vs. a pretty pessimistic view of staying in the Big East are about the same money wise. It's hard to justify the financials of this hypothetical, which is part of the reason the "rumors" are hard to believe. It only really works if UConn can land its football team somewhere. And the only sensible option is the Big East. So it boils down to if the Big East is willing to keep UConn football for the sake of the overall league. I guess it depends on how bitter the Big East would be if UConn tried such a move.

Reaction Score

LMFAO. Yes, the ACC is going to take us for hoops only and pay us double what their other schools, including Duke and UNC, take for hoops.

When pigs friggin fly.

Seriously -- why do you post stuff like this?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
LMFAO. Yes, the ACC is going to take us for hoops only and pay us double what their other schools, including Duke and UNC, take for hoops.

When pigs friggin fly.

Seriously -- why do you post stuff like this?

im not saying the acc would pay us more. im saying our bball may be worth more than the average acc team which would make us a good add bball wise for the acc.

right now the acc bball lets say is worth 4 mil a team. doesn't clemson and teams like that bring down the average of say unc and duke? maybe unc ball is worth 8 mil to espn but they get 4 mil worth just like evreyone else. all im saying is that espn/acc could see that uconn bball is worth 7mil to them and would be a good add becuase they would only have to pay us 4mil or w/e the number is.

bl, instead of always going after the same few posters here, just ignore me. i ask again. if u think im a clownass thats fine. so be it in your eyes. but many here are tired of your act.

Reaction Score
All the talk about UConn to the ACC and how TV money would look is fine, but here's a more pragmatic perspective. One of my buddies from Syracuse, a former athlete, is friends with Boeheim and played golf with him recently. I was with him last week and he let me in on a bit of their conversation. The friend asked JimB whether Calhoun's leaving could possibly now enhance the opportunity for UConn to join the ACC (his feeling being that some of JC's vitriole was off-putting). Here was Boeheim's response " Not really. UConn won't be getting in. There's a lot of bad feeling still there from a lawsuit filed by "some official" (his words) from Connecticut. They won't be coming in." Take that as you wish but it looks like it wasn't only DeFillipo who had a hard on for us. Does Boeheim's perspective represent the conference's attitude?--who knows, but as a respected friend of JC, it doesn't strike me that he was talking out of spite or jealousy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom