Could an All Uconn Alum Team Win Olympic Gold? | The Boneyard

Could an All Uconn Alum Team Win Olympic Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“I think so,” said USA Basketball Women’s National Team Director Carol Callan. “In 2012 we had six (former UConn players). Several players (including 2012 Olympian Asjha Jones) have retired, but winning 11 national championships along the way means there are some really good players who have played there and then you bring them into their pro lives, that means there’s a lot of good talent that are alums so they would have a great chance.”

Are there too many former UConn players on the U.S. women’s basketball team?

What to say... what to say? :rolleyes::eek::D

Lots of quotes from different folks. Priceless. Great article.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm assuming we don't count Elena as a former Husky, but taking last nights starting unit and adding Stewie, Morgan, Moriah, Renee, Swin, and Kaleena would make for a competitive unit. I'd add Looooouuuu as well.

Reaction Score
SHOULD be able to win. The problem is twofold:
  1. The "Any Given Sunday" rule.
  2. Kia Nurse.

Reaction Score
Olympic Team History question!

Over the year how many players that made the Olympic team did not win National Championships?

This Team;

Elena, Sylvia, Angel, Seimone, Lindsay – 5 of the 12.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, the TASS Force was limited to the "don't call them the ASS Force" by 2012, but I love having as many of that unit as possible.

Meanwhile, I very much look forward to seeing what Tina, Maya, Stewie, Diana and Sue can do. Over time, I'd also love for Moriah to join the team in 2020. If we're talking Uconn alumnae only, I'd want Kelly Faris on the team in some capacity. Morgan might be a good addition if she's up to it physically. There is also a number of other options. Certainly, it doesn't hurt recruiting if playing in the olympics is something many girls dream of doing.

Reaction Score
Let us see an off season tourney of Pro Players. For one week lets have 16 teams from the schools they graduated from play for Charity and of course Pride. I dont know if they could fill that many so maybe 8 teams and let them have their schools coaching staff. This would be pretty special to see! Dont worry this is only a dream but dreams sometimes come true,LOL!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I would love to see Moriah as an Olympian in 2020 but I would wonder where Odyssey Sims and Skylar Diggins fit in the picture.

Lindsey Whalen may try to give another go but she is 34 currently.

Courtney Vandersloot is another option as could Danielle Robinson depending on her rehab after the ACL injury.

2020 Olympics could have a lot of new flavor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would love to see Moriah as an Olympian in 2020 but I would wonder where Odyssey Sims and Skylar Diggins fit in the picture.

Courtney Vandersloot is another option as could Danielle Robinson depending on her rehab after the ACL injury.

Those are good questions, but I'm not sure Diggins is a future Olympian. Sims, Loyd and McBride seem like better choices right now. Additionally, there are very few PURE PG's in the WNBA. Most of them are some form of converted SG's, and IMHO a player like Vandersloot or Jefferson (especially Moriah) are more valuable in that they really are floor generals and were never converted from a scoring guard mentality.

I do love Whalen, but even if she's "up" for it, I'm not sure she makes the team in 4 years, unless she's rewarded for past service. I think there will be several players better at her especially when she's 38. I also agree Robinson should get a hard look too. I don't know if they will look at Sims as a future "PG", or if she will be more in the mix as a 2G. Or maybe versatile and both. Still, good questions!

Reaction Score
Jordan Canada from UCLA could be the best PG in the country this year. 2020 you never know.

Reaction Score

Moriah and Sim should be in the 2020 team, Diggins can also be in the 2020 cheerleader team too...LOL

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Did you read the whole paragragh? A 1 week tourney but again only a dream!
Yea I read. What off-season? i.e. when would this off season be?

Reaction Score
Yea I read. What off-season? i.e. when would this off season be?
As Walter from the Jeff Dunham Show would say Hey Dumb##s IT Is Only a Dream !!!!!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
"I think certainly I don’t want a misperception to exist that if you go to UConn you get to be on the Olympic team easier than somebody else but..."

Ms. Callan, if you have to add a "but" and a long explanation...you're not helping to fight the "misperception."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As Walter from the Jeff Dunham Show would say Hey Dumb##s IT Is Only a Dream !!!!!
You're the one who brought it up. I'm just trying to figure out WTF you're thinking. (or not thinking as the case may be)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I liked the post, but I do believe in redemption. Look at Angel McA.... she has come a long way to mate talent with team mate.

I should let it slide but I'm dying to know...redemption from what?

Reaction Score
Easily yes.

Current Olympians as a starting 5: Sue, DT, Maya, Breanna, Tina
Bench of others who have played with the national team: Dolson, Stokes, Hartley, KML
Final roster spots: Moriah, Renee, Swin (experience)

And still leaves Tuck, Hayes, and Faris!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
IMHO...........If you let Geno and his current staff pick and coach the 12 players they would go to battle with, there is no doubt in my mind they would win gold in an Olympic year.
His biggest problem would be picking which 12 he wanted on the team. Several former players (who can still play) would no doubt be mildly offended if not chosen. For the 12 that were chosen, it would be like "old home week". Winning the gold with a team of only former UConn players would be one more feather in Geno's all ready crowded (with feathers) hat. Something no other college coach could do this Olympic year.

Remember the quote by Syracuse's Quentin Jerome Hillsman (born October 16, 1970) after the recent NCAA championship game (referring to UConn), "They've forgotten how to lose". I'll go with what he said, and rest my case. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm assuming we don't count Elena as a former Husky, but taking last nights starting unit and adding Stewie, Morgan, Moriah, Renee, Swin, and Kaleena would make for a competitive unit. I'd add Looooouuuu as well.

You can't consider Delle Donne. You can't let her take a spot that another UConn alum that actually played for Geno could take. Please don't forget Tiffany Hayes. She's playing out her mind right now in the W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom