Could an All Uconn Alum Team Win Olympic Gold? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Could an All Uconn Alum Team Win Olympic Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm assuming we don't count Elena as a former Husky, but taking last nights starting unit and adding Stewie, Morgan, Moriah, Renee, Swin, and Kaleena would make for a competitive unit. I'd add Looooouuuu as well.
You DO count EDD. She signed and showed up for a few practices.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That will be a perfect team:
Sue
1. DT
2. Tina
3. Maya
4. Rene
5. Stewie
6. Morgan
7. KML
8. Moriah
9. Dolson (assume Swin retired)

Pick three more. A team consists of 12 players. I'd like Tiffany Hayes and Kiah Stokes to join the team.

Reaction Score
I liked the post, but I do believe in redemption. Look at Angel McA.... she has come a long way to mate talent with team mate.
Yes, she has. She lost her way for a short time, but has pulled it back together, again. Give credit where credit is due.

Reaction Score
Pick three more. A team consists of 12 players. I'd like Tiffany Hayes and Kiah Stokes to join the team.
Yes, how can I miss Tiffany. She should replace Morgan in my 10. And, Kiah, Morgan will be the 11-12.
Thanks.

Reaction Score
Definitely. i also think a US team consisting of no former UConn players could win an Olympic gold. Of course, the USA team is better with former UConn players, but our talent is that good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jordan Canada from UCLA could be the best PG in the country this year. 2020 you never know.
Someone (I think Rebecca) thought that Canada was the 2nd best PG in the country last year.

I think Renee is the PG of the future in Minnesota and may merit consideration again.

I also think that Moriah could soon be the 2nd best PG in the world. By next Tuesday. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue/Moriah
Diana/Tiffany/Bria
Maya/Kaleena/Kelly
Tina/Stef/Kiah
Stewie/Swin/Morgan

You'd have to cut 2 players from this group of 14. I'd like their chances.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sue/Moriah
Diana/Tiffany/Bria
Maya/Kaleena/Kelly
Tina/Stef/Kiah
Stewie/Swin/Morgan

You'd have to cut 2 players from this group of 14. I'd like their chances.
Right now you would have to take Renee over Bria I think - better defender and shooting better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Right now you would have to take Renee over Bria I think - better defender and shooting better.
I'd agree.

Sorry, I missed you last night, Miami. I was enjoying my time with the Stewart family and didn't make it down to the gathering.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Go ahead - make me jealous!!!:cool:
Life is full of tough choices. But this was a no-lose proposition. :)

If you'll be at MSG, I'll make a point of looking for you. I'll be with TJI.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Did you see her play and her attitude at Louisville?

I did not. Got any articles referencing it?

The fact that that was your go-to example is telling. She's been a pro for 4 years now.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I did not. Got any articles referencing it?

The fact that that was your go-to example is telling. She's been a pro for 4 years now.

Angel has come a long, long way. I think she's a terrific pro. At Louisville she was a talented spoiled brat. Another poster here cited her being sat down with her coach to review video of her inappropriate court behaviors. Geno referenced the great progress/improvement she has made as a pro - indeed she more than anyone else. If you did not see her in college ... well, you missed it.

She carried her crummy attitude into the WNBA. See Voepel: Now we know who's really in charge in Atlanta

Geno: " Auriemma tweeted out the news Monday afternoon. His words: "marynell meadors gets fired atlanta owners cave in inmate in charge #coachingisabitch"

"Seriously, Auriemma said what many are thinking. He uses the term "inmate" as it would be used for an asylum,..."

Like I said, you had to be there. A different person today.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Angel has come a long, long way. I think she's a terrific pro. At Louisville she was a talented spoiled brat. Another poster here cited her being sat down with her coach to review video of her inappropriate court behaviors. Geno referenced the great progress/improvement she has made as a pro - indeed she more than anyone else. If you did not see her in college ... well, you missed it.

Oh, you meant Angel at Louisville. I was asking why you were lumping Skylar in with Angel as needing "redemption"? I get the thing with Angel and yeah, she has mellowed over the last couple years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Angel wants to win as much as anyone. But her approach is often to try to do it by herself. She has to make adjustments to her game, which don't come easily to her. She responded to Geno's coaching very well in 2012 and looks great this year. In 2014, she was out of control and got limited PT.

Angel's facial expressions and body language are legendary. When she stays positive, she's really, really good.

Reaction Score
2020 Team possibility:
1.Maya
2.Tina
3.Stewart
4.Hayes
5.Dolson
6.Stokes/Loyd
7.Jefferson
8.Angel/McBride
9.Brittany
10.Nneka
11.Sims
12.KLS

Taurasi still a possibility. Norte Dame/Tennessee fans are crying now,what would they say if UConn did place 7 or 8 players on the team.What do you think?

Reaction Score
I would love to see Moriah as an Olympian in 2020 but I would wonder where Odyssey Sims and Skylar Diggins fit in the picture.

Lindsey Whalen may try to give another go but she is 34 currently.

Courtney Vandersloot is another option as could Danielle Robinson depending on her rehab after the ACL injury.

2020 Olympics could have a lot of new flavor.
I honestly think one of those young guards should have been chosen this cycle to get some experience. Mo Jeff, Sims, Diggins, McBride and Loyd all have a ton of potential. I don't see any of the current guards making it 4 more years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I honestly think one of those young guards should have been chosen this cycle to get some experience. Mo Jeff, Sims, Diggins, McBride and Loyd all have a ton of potential. I don't see any of the current guards making it 4 more years.
I imagine at least DT (maybe Whalen) will carry the youngin's through the World's. But yea, they will probably be on their own for the 2020's.

Reaction Score
I agree with MSSportsGuy above except I think Diggins doesn't make 2020 USA team for same reasons Parker didn't make this years team!
Look for Loyd, McBride, MoJeff, Robinson, Vandersloot, & Sims to battle for 3 spots! Outside chance for Tiffany Hayes to earn a spot, she's really improved her game!
Personally I think McBride, MoJeff & Sims will make the 2020 team!

Reaction Score
Seeing people put up possible 2020 teams makes me realize what a step down we're about to take. I like Hayes, Dolson, Stokes, etc. but they are not in the same league as the players they would be replacing (Bird, Taurasi).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seeing people put up possible 2020 teams makes me realize what a step down we're about to take. I like Hayes, Dolson, Stokes, etc. but they are not in the same league as the players they would be replacing (Bird, Taurasi).
Yeah, but NO ONE is in the same league as Sue and Diana. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom