2025 Recruiting: - Cooper Flagg | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Cooper Flagg

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
As far as national notoriety and respect goes, I don't think UConn has ever been hotter that they are right now. If they could close here...
so hot right now hansel GIF

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This year will be the true test of the Duke coaching transition. They have everybody back except Lively plus a top recruiting class. A team w/ Prosper, Flip, Mitchell, Roach and the #3 recruiting class should be dominant in the ACC.

Wait until they get the Boozer twins along with Flagg. Although, if Cooper does reclass then they probably won't cross paths. Or maybe He should just come here.

Reaction Score
I honestly don’t see the appeal of Duke that some of these recruits see. I get that the campus revolves around their men’s bball team and I could see it if Coach K were still there but he isn’t. Sheyer just literally did less with more than maybe anyone outside of Calipari in his first year as head coach last year. Dan Hurley would coach circles around him blindfolded with 2 hands tied behind his back. Just hoping Flagg is smart enough to see it. Duke could very well be headed into Indiana territory if they have a couple more down years. The ACC has also been very weak lately which doesn’t bode well.
I can't believe I'm about to do this, but here goes...

Duke is still one of, if not the most recognizable bball brands in the country. It's one of the top academic universities in the country, bar none, and it's a beautiful campus in a cool area (Durham is no longer a dump), with one of the most rabid fan bases in the country. The whole coaching argument is just a cluster...I dislike Scheyer as much as the next guy, but he's a first yr coach, give the dude a minute. Do you remember Hurley's first year...or his second...or his third...or his fourth?? Ya, not great. Even up until January (and beyond for many) folks on this board were calling for Hurley's head, but now he's suddenly a coaching savant (all props to him, he crushed it in the 2nd half of the season and I think he's awesome...now let's keep it going)?

What "down" years are you talking about? They just won the ACC tourny and made the 2nd rd of the NCAA tourny, and are 2 years removed from a FF (coach K).

Man, I get the Duke hate around here is strong, and rightly so, but come on...give your eyes a break and take off the national flag blue glasses every now and again. I'm gonna go watch a bunch of TCF videos to atone for what I just defended...

Reaction Score
Just being in connection with Flagg is a good thing for the program. He has SO much clout on social media. 3 years ago we wouldn't have bothered wasting our time. Being right there with Duke--even if he doesn't end up here--is a signal that we're back on top.
I'm friendly with a couple guys who know Scheyer and his parents intimately. They both say the guy and his parents are clowns and it will be shown with time. One of them has a weird Hatfields & McCoys type thing with his family and the Scheyer family so it's all probably totally irrelevant.

I do bring it up because we don't really know anything about Scheyer and his coaching. If it was coach K I would probably say we're wasting our time going all out recruiting the kid but it's not K. Scheyer is living off of Coach K's rep and the Duke name right now.

Reaction Score
I can't believe I'm about to do this, but here goes...

Duke is still one of, if not the most recognizable bball brands in the country. It's one of the top academic universities in the country, bar none, and it's a beautiful campus in a cool area (Durham is no longer a dump), with one of the most rabid fan bases in the country. The whole coaching argument is just a cluster...I dislike Scheyer as much as the next guy, but he's a first yr coach, give the dude a minute. Do you remember Hurley's first year...or his second...or his third...or his fourth?? Ya, not great. Even up until January (and beyond for many) folks on this board were calling for Hurley's head, but now he's suddenly a coaching savant (all props to him, he crushed it in the 2nd half of the season and I think he's awesome...now let's keep it going)?

What "down" years are you talking about? They just won the ACC tourny and made the 2nd rd of the NCAA tourny, and are 2 years removed from a FF (coach K).

Man, I get the Duke hate around here is strong, and rightly so, but come on...give your eyes a break and take off the national flag blue glasses every now and again. I'm gonna go watch a bunch of TCF videos to atone for what I just defended...
Im a Huskies and Hoos supporter as well. Graduated UVA in 97. That being said I need to quibble with your oppinion that the Duke campus is beautiful. I think it's pretty lame actually. Its all fake architecture. The exteriors of the buildings look like they're from the 16th century but the interiors look like your average high school with cinderblock walls. The greens are always roped off and can't be used. It's all bad. I actually prefer Uconn's campus.

Reaction Score
Im a Huskies and Hoos supporter as well. Graduated UVA in 97. That being said I need to quibble with your oppinion that the Duke campus is beautiful. I think it's pretty lame actually. Its all fake architecture. The exteriors of the buildings look like they're from the 16th century but the interiors look like your average high school with cinderblock walls. The greens are always roped off and can't be used. It's all bad. I actually prefer Uconn's campus.

Weren't they explicitly trying to replicate Princeton or some other Northeastern school? I seem to remember hearing something like this on a tour in high school and thinking it was incredibly lame. (Chapel Hill is a much prettier campus, to me.)

Reaction Score
'09 for me. wahoowa

It's a cool gothic-y architecture that I can certainly see love it or hate it. I spend a bunch of time in the sports complexes, which are awesome (their football stadium is laughably bad). Agree with @BigErnMcCracken that chapel hill is way prettier (going for that whole uva vibe). I lived in chapel hill for a while and went did my masters at NC st so spent a lot of time in the area...from a bball perspective the rivalry is basically non-existent any more since '04...playing them twice in meaningless games in the last 20 yrs will do that. However, again from being around the area I can confidently say that most Duke people suck (some exceptions)

Reaction Score
Billy Packer's ACC-centric commentary(back in the day) and the fact that he said Chris Smith carried the ball on his famous crossover move is why UConn fans dislike Duke.. Jay Bilas has been trying to compensate for that ever since..

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Billy Packer's ACC-centric commentary(back in the day) and the fact that he said Chris Smith carried the ball on his famous crossover move is why UConn fans dislike Duke.. Jay Bilas has been trying to compensate for that ever since..
More Dukie V and his promotion of that program. And it's why Duke is universally hated by every ACC school as well.

Reaction Score
More Dukie V and his promotion of that program. And it's why Duke is universally hated by every ACC school as well.
Can't argue with your point on that perspective.. Pretty sure Calhoun didn't have those guys over to the house for dinner and beverages

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Weren't they explicitly trying to replicate Princeton or some other Northeastern school? I seem to remember hearing something like this on a tour in high school and thinking it was incredibly lame. (Chapel Hill is a much prettier campus, to me.)
Interesting the differing opinions. UNC and Duke are both widely considered to be among the prettiest campuses. We toured both campuses and my family all independently came away very disappointed with the aesthetics of UNC. The buildings just looked old and not in a good way and the student union area was about the worst we saw anywhere. Landscaping in general was disappointing. TBH, we preferred NC State, especially the engineering campus. We found Duke to be beautiful. Yes, the architecture is a reproduction but I still think it looks very nice. BTW, if you go inside other schools with gothic architecture, they are also cinder block inside in most cases. I’m not sure how many campuses have landscaping as nice as Duke and the Sarah P Duke gardens are very impressive. The all around vibe is better as well if you spend some time there. As someone noted previously, there are a lot of cool places and things to do in Durham nowadays. Anyway, different strokes I guess. I’m just glad that as of May I’m done writing checks to those bastards.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm actually more interested in the landscaping of schools in North Carolina at this point (not even joking, not going to be any Cooper news for months now at this point).
Couldn’t he announce the re class at any time?

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
Packer carrying water for Duke and the ACC was always a nauseating aspect of watching college hoops. His last name is apt. You could hear him getting wood when Bobby Hurley pounded the hardwood. Being a hick state school with cows in the middle of nowhere, ya just gotta hate on the elites. It's a time honored tradition.

Reaction Score
Packer carrying water for Duke and the ACC was always a nauseating aspect of watching college hoops. His last name is apt. You could hear him getting wood when Bobby Hurley pounded the hardwood. Being a hick state school with cows in the middle of nowhere, ya just gotta hate on the elites. It's a time honored tradition.
Packer absolutely carried water for the ACC. That’s where he played and started his broadcasting career. If you heard him carry water for Duke, it was because Duke earned it.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
Packer absolutely carried water for the ACC. That’s where he played and started his broadcasting career. If you heard him carry water for Duke, it was because Duke earned it.
IMHO, Coach K giving his blessings to UConn as an elite program during the FF did more for our status than all the other BB commentators put together. Funny how Hurley/Duke/UConn synergy happened.

Reaction Score
What’s it say about us?
There's a bunch about Hurley and riding the excitement of winning a championship and just being a enjoying being a college coach. Can't post it all without it getting deleted but the Flagg stuff

Because I’m shaking more hands than ever and I’m a germaphobe,” he said. “But the handshakes are awesome. And the players here see me now and there’s a recognition; they remember watching our team play and seeing my guys get drafted, and there’s a definite bump from that.”

Trying to ride that wave, Hurley sat in the front row with his staff, three-deep, for Flagg’s games all week. Most assume Flagg, who grew up a Duke fan, is headed to the Blue Devils or the pro route — possibly in 2024 via a reclass, if this week’s chatter is to be believed — but if there’s a dark horse in his recruitment, it might well be Hurley’s Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom