Cooper Flagg sets official UConn Visit! | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Cooper Flagg sets official UConn Visit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Reaction Score
The football game matters in a way of trying to give him the best possible experience while on campus for a visit.

Watching a team get their butts kicked in an empty stadium does not help have the best visit experience possible. Especially when the team that did the butt kicking is the favorites.

Weird time to visit and I hope we get him back during hoop season.
Utter disaster. No marching band or fight song. Empty stadium by half. Total my demolished. Miserable day. I can’t imagine the kid has a good feeling walking away from that crap show.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And he has a Samoyed as his beloved family pet
Great. If we lose him to Duke, I'm going to blame it on the switch to the blue wolf.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Utter disaster. No marching band or fight song. Empty stadium by half. Total my demolished. Miserable day. I can’t imagine the kid has a good feeling walking away from that crap show.
Meanwhile he’s going to go to Duke and experience the Cameron Crazies during the first night… then somehow is suppose to feel good about a terrible football game visit.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile he’s going to go to Duke and experience the Cameron Crazies during the first night… then somehow is suppose to feel good about a terrible football game visit.
The football game doesn’t matter. I’m sure Cooper’s parents will have great influence over his decision….infinitely more than the football team. Family matters here.

Reaction Score
How does our basketball center facilities and campus compare with Duke's I've never been there? I can only guess it's pretty nice.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The football game doesn’t matter. I’m sure Cooper’s parents will have great influence over his decision….infinitely more than the football team. Family matters here.
It’s not about how good our football team is or not. Of course he doesn’t care how good our football team is. But we just had him watching them as his experience. So that’s now part of the impression he has of the school overall. An empty stadium is a part of his impression of our fans. We let his favorites add to his impression of how good of an overall sports program they are.

It’s not going to be the straw that breaks that camel’s back but it doesn’t help move the needle at all for him when the purpose was to wow him. Maybe we did an amazing job everywhere else to make up for it who knows. But it doesn’t feel good.

Reaction Score
It's got to be a crap shoot to recruit. I'm sure every recruit has something different that pushes their buttons. Some may be flipped by facilities. You hear some say they committed to a school because the coach didn't promise him anything and told him he had to earn a spot. There are probably others that commit because they're promised playing time and significant minutes. Then there's the nil. I'm sure how much of an effect nil has varies from recruit to recruit.

Reaction Score
It’s not about how good our football team is or not. Of course he doesn’t care how good our football team is. But we just had him watching them as his experience. So that’s now part of the impression he has of the school overall. An empty stadium is a part of his impression of our fans. We let his favorites add to his impression of how good of an overall sports program they are.

It’s not going to be the straw that breaks that camel’s back but it doesn’t help move the needle at all for him when the purpose was to wow him. Maybe we did an amazing job everywhere else to make up for it who knows. But it doesn’t feel good.

Good lord.

Reaction Score

I really need you to think critically for just a second. Guys who are going to be high lottery picks, who have been very specific and clear about compensation/NIL, who want nothing but development and offenses designed around their strengths, who want a program where the off the court professional connections are just as real as the on the court stuff do not care one iota about “vibes.” They don’t. At all. People were met and conversations were had at the game, that was the purpose. Business decisions. He is going to be on whatever campus he chooses from July to March, that’s it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My memory is shot but went to a football game years ago with same exact scene. Rodney The Ferrari was hangin' with DHam, IIRC. Worked out.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I really need you to think critically for just a second. Guys who are going to be high lottery picks, who have been very specific and clear about compensation/NIL, who want nothing but development and offenses designed around their strengths, who want a program where the off the court professional connections are just as real as the on the court stuff do not care one iota about “vibes.” They don’t. At all. People were met and conversations were had at the game, that was the purpose. Business decisions. He is going to be on whatever campus he chooses from July to March, that’s it.
But what happens when most things are equal? We’re talking about three premier programs here.

Those same conversations are going to be had at both Kansas’s and Duke’s first night events while he watches their basketball teams be celebrated by their rabid fan bases.

Crazy thing is our first night is Oct 13th. Right in the middle of Kansas’s and Duke’s. There was probably a scheduling conflict for that time. But man I wish he could’ve came in for that instead with how good this team is and how riled up our base is going to be then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But what happens when most things are equal? We’re talking about three premier programs here.

Those same conversations are going to be had at both Kansas’s and Duke’s first night events while he watches their basketball teams be celebrated by their rabid fan bases.

Crazy thing is our first night is Oct 13th. Right in the middle of Kansas’s and Duke’s. There was probably a scheduling conflict for that time. But man I wish he could’ve came in for that instead with how good this team is and how riled up our base is going to be then.
When most things are equal he definitely thinks “well, Duke’s football team is better than UConn’s, so that settles it”.

Clearly it’s the tie breaker here and we’re now out on Cooper Flagg.

Kobe Bryant Eye Roll GIF

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Before you ask UConn has had two five stars in Hurley's tenure:

Akok Akok (2019, injuries ruined his promising start)
Stephon Castle (2023)

So Scheyer has had 5, 2, and at least 2 in three recruiting years, with one de-committing, for a total of 9 (10).

For fun, for UConn to match the same number of five stars Scheyer has signed/had commit in three classes (as of September 24, 2023) you have to go back 20 classes:

Hurley has had two, as mentioned.
Ollie had Jalen Adams (2015) and Daniel Hamilton (2014) as five star freshmen.
Calhoun had Andre Drummond (2012), DeAndre Daniels (2011), Kemba Walker (2008), Rudy Gay (2004), Charlie Villanueva (2003)

Technically Scheyer had one more signed with Mgbako but that evens out with Bynum (2005) as neither played for Duke or UConn respectively.

I don't think I missed any.
Was Akok a five star? I thought the projections said he could be great given the physical tools but he was somewhat raw from a BB perspective. Unfortunately the Achilles injury changed everything. He came back but even the last couple years ar Georgetown he was an ever age player.

Reaction Score
Insiders say we had even odds with Duke to land Flagg. After this weekend 's disaster on all fronts, our odds took a big hit. Our AD should be under fire for his recent performance.
Just out of curiosity, who are these "insiders'" ?

What did AD do wrong?

( I do not mean to sound like I am challenging this. Learned some bad news--had negative family issue weekend--am sorry )

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
When most things are equal he definitely thinks “well, Duke’s football team is better than UConn’s, so that settles it”.

Kobe Bryant Eye Roll GIF
I’m not sure why this keeps being said when that’s not what anyone is saying.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Kobe Bryant Eye Roll GIF
Nah, but development, exposure, those are a wash at best. Chance to win? Wash. I do think he will focus on the guys he’d be on the floor with. Also, where the coach needs him to play. It’s not clear which school best fits. That is most likely the deciding factor. Can he coexist with Power at Duke?

Does the football game matter? Unlikely. But it certainly doesn’t help any. Kansas won at home against BYU in front of a good crowd yesterday. Duke is solid. If that culture matters at all, it hurts us.

Reaction Score
The football game experience and other activities on visits probably do matter to most recruits in some way. They want to see wild fans, pretty girls, a packed stadium etc.

cooper Flagg is already at a level that surpasses all of that and likely has completely different considerations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom