Connecticut Sun does it again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Connecticut Sun does it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, the Sun was successful because THEY WON. If they start winning again, they will be successful again.

It has little to do with UConn players being on the team. I can give you a reasonable, business explanation for every UConn player that has been on the team that is not now.

How do you avoid the quality players in the league if you don't draft them? They never got a shot at KML, Taurasi, Bird, etc.

Sales - only wanted to play in Europe as career wound down
Jones - sat out because she was unhappy about Thibault, then tore her achilles, now only plays in Europe
Charles - unhappy about Thibault and simply did not want to be in Connecticut anymore, wanted to be in her home of NYC
Montgomery - big contract, max contract. Team rebuilding can't afford to have a sixth man at max contract.
Greene - end of bench player, if you're rebuilding, don't you want that to go to youngsters that you hope can grow?
Faris - if she doesn't make it, simply doesn't have the offensive game

Who am I missing? Taurasi? Bird? Trust me, if the Sun had gotten them they would still be here.

Reaction Score
Looks like The Sun need to be reorganized, either get rid of the coach or VP.

If so many UConn players are not willing to stay or unhappy to play. The Sun must have problems.

Reaction Score
Alydar

Could you explain how it's "good for the league" for the Suns not to have competitive personnel.

I think I wasn't clear enough. It isn't the continued mediocrity of the Sun that is "for the good of the WNBA". Rather it's that the top players go elsewhere that is "in the best interests of the league" as a whole.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately we feel that Ann Donovan is to her WNBA team what Joanne McCallie is to her NCAA team. We say " unfortunately" because we really like McCallie.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
No, the Sun was successful because THEY WON. If they start winning again, they will be successful again.

It has little to do with UConn players being on the team. I can give you a reasonable, business explanation for every UConn player that has been on the team that is not now.

How do you avoid the quality players in the league if you don't draft them? They never got a shot at KML, Taurasi, Bird, etc.

Sales - only wanted to play in Europe as career wound down
Jones - sat out because she was unhappy about Thibault, then tore her achilles, now only plays in Europe
Charles - unhappy about Thibault and simply did not want to be in Connecticut anymore, wanted to be in her home of NYC
Montgomery - big contract, max contract. Team rebuilding can't afford to have a sixth man at max contract.
Greene - end of bench player, if you're rebuilding, don't you want that to go to youngsters that you hope can grow?
Faris - if she doesn't make it, simply doesn't have the offensive game

Who am I missing? Taurasi? Bird? Trust me, if the Sun had gotten them they would still be here.

Kudos, David for trying to be a rational voice among the haters and UConn homers but I gave up a long time ago when it was Tibeault haters all over the place. I am a long-time season ticket holder and want nothing more that to see the Sun win. I was not a fan of Tibeault's firing or Donovan's hiring but I don't care if the team is all Duke or Tennessee or UConn or a mix of every team in WCBB. Of COURSE I love to see the UConn alums on the team, but not at the cost of winning. Uncasville has no social draw for these worldly young women and can't compete in that regard with most WNBA cities. It was a fact for Mike and its a fact for Anne. Worse for Anne probably due to a wounded rep.

Reaction Score
I'm with you PSconn. I don't care who's on the team I just want to win. I'm happy with the Duke, Tennessee and Stanford players this year, now win.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Well if anyone is free and interested in checking out the Connecticut Sun's opener on June 5th at 7 p.m. vs. Washington feel free to use this offer (attached) to purchase tickets at a discount and avoid additional fees.

If you can't open the pdf file:

Link- http://Post original url/SunOpener
Promo Code- CTSUN15

Attachments

• CTSUN OPENING NIGHT TIX OFFER.pdf
    457.1 KB · Views: 26

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think Sun fans are sophisticated enough to understand that UConn players are a "nice to have", not a neccesity. But when you run an all-timer out of town for 50 cents on the dollar, put up two awful years in a row and look even worse in the third; you're motives are going to be questioned.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Well if anyone is free and interested in checking out the Connecticut Sun's opener on June 5th at 7 p.m. vs. Washington feel free to use this offer (attached) to purchase tickets at a discount and avoid additional fees.

If you can't open the pdf file:

Link- http://Post original url/SunOpener
Promo Code- CTSUN15

Sorry link won't copy correctly

It should be -http://Post original url/SunOpener-

ps: Williams was a great pick up

psconn

Reaction Score
I think Sun fans are sophisticated enough to understand that UConn players are a "nice to have", not a neccesity. But when you run an all-timer out of town for 50 cents on the dollar, put up two awful years in a row and look even worse in the third; you're motives are going to be questioned.

You referring to Tina?

psconn

Reaction Score
I think Sun fans are sophisticated enough to understand that UConn players are a "nice to have", not a necessity. But when you run an all-timer out of town for 50 cents on the dollar, put up two awful years in a row and look even worse in the third; you're motives are going to be questioned.
You referring to Tina?

Since you didn't respond and clarify your statement, I'll assume you were referring to Tina and point out what utter nonsense that statement is. Yes, Sun management's handling of the whole Tibeault/Donovan affair was poor, and that's being charitable. It led to several player defections. When you imply that Tina was "run out of town" it suggests that the Sun wanted her gone and that is beyond ridiculous. She delivered an ultimatum and the Sun had no choice but to go along and considering the incredibly bad bargaining position they were in they did fairly well (I'm not saying they got equal value at all). Further, anyone paying attention over the years realized that Tina was going to NY sooner or later and far more likely sooner. As I've said numerous times here, for 90% of the young women in the league, Uncasville cannot compete as a summer location for a with most WNBA cities. Most players that are good enough to have options will exercise them elsewhere. Coach T bucked the odds because the players loved and respected him, but that's over now. I'm moving on, and still a Sun fan. 'Nuff said.

Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder if a number of posters have ever seen a rebuilding project before. It's a bumpy and uneven process at best. The reality is that the Sun's project has been relatively smooth until the injury to Chiney. That throws extra challenges at this, which should be the turnaround season, but now without the centerpiece. A positive result is still possible given some of the acquisitions, and would have to be viewed as quite an accomplishment and a superb foreshadowing for Chiney's return.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When you imply that Tina was "run out of town" it suggests that the Sun wanted her gone and that is beyond ridiculous.

The coach badmouthed her on the way out the door, that's getting run out of town in my book.

psconn

Reaction Score
The coach badmouthed her on the way out the door, that's getting run out of town in my book.

Interesting turn of the phrase... so she was "run out of town" after her demand to leave town was granted. :confused:

"When I Use a Word, It Means Just What I Choose It to mean, Neither More nor Less."
Humpty Dumpty in Through the Looking Glass

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Lenny+1024+768.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors