Connecticut Sun does it again | The Boneyard

Connecticut Sun does it again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Despite being the worst team in the league over the last two years, they found a way to have the number 4 pick in a 3 player draft. That's genius.

Reaction Score
Didn't they trade #3 for 2 forwards needed to replace Tina Charles who supposedly didn't want to play for Ann Donovan? Is it possible they never wanted Kaleena anyway? This group seems to dislike UCONN players even though they win championships and out fannies in the seats at Mohegan.

Reaction Score
Didn't they trade #3 for 2 forwards needed to replace Tina Charles who supposedly didn't want to play for Ann Donovan? Is it possible they never wanted Kaleena anyway? This group seems to dislike UCONN players even though they win championships and out fannies in the seats at Mohegan.

On her own, Ann was a great woman's basketball player, but as coach at Seton Hall, as I recall, she had a very poor winning record. Now, as coach of the Conn. Sun, I see players coming & going with little to no improvement in the team. I'm beginning to have deep reservations with her ability as a coach.

Reaction Score
On her own, Ann was a great woman's basketball player, but as coach at Seton Hall, as I recall, she had a very poor winning record. Now, as coach of the Conn. Sun, I see players coming & going with little to no improvement in the team. I'm beginning to have deep reservations with her ability as a coach.
Welcome to the party! Some of us loyal Sun fans have been saying this from day 1.

Reaction Score
Despite being the worst team in the league over the last two years, they found a way to have the number 4 pick in a 3 player draft. That's genius.
I get your first point but not the second at all. Had Loyd and Zahui not come out early Williams would have been the top pick. They did well by getting her. To call it a 3 player draft is a sad statement on the state of woman's basketball. Not a big fan of The Sun or Donovan but they got players that are needed. ;)
Having said that I think their genius moment was letting one of the best coaches in the WNBA go. He may not have won championships but he made silk, not quite, but something comfortable out of burlap every year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I get your first point but not the second at all. Had Loyd and Zahui not come out early Williams would have been the top pick.

You'd take Williams over KML?

Reaction Score
I would take Williams for sure. KML will be an OK WNBA player, but we need a center we can count on. The biggest problem with the Sun is the front office. They need to be replaced along with the coach.

Reaction Score
I would take Williams for sure. KML will be an OK WNBA player, but we need a center we can count on. The biggest problem with the Sun is the front office. They need to be replaced along with the coach.

DICKG - - -If you're counting on Eliz. Williams to resurrect the CT SUN you'll have a long, long, long wait! She doesn't play equal to her rep! I agree the front office has NO clue and AD as Head Coach was ridiculous from the hiring!

Reaction Score
DICKG - - -If you're counting on Eliz. Williams to resurrect the CT SUN you'll have a long, long, long wait! She doesn't play equal to her rep! I agree the front office has NO clue and AD as Head Coach was ridiculous from the hiring!
I just meant she could help us more than KML. I agree we are far away from being a good team again.

Reaction Score
I don't watch much WNBA but I have followed the draft for a long time and not to ruin things for anyone but what I see is a situation where things in the W are done for the good of the league as opposed to teams doing things for their own benefit. I remember the days when the draft lottery was held behind closed doors and despite having several chances for elite stars, the Sun always seemed to end up picking 4th or 5th. There's a reason that the top draws go elsewhere every year. Whalen didn't last, Charles left and I expect to hear that Chiney gets traded for 3 journeymen and the 5th pick next year.

Sorry to sound so cynical but that's the way I see it.

Reaction Score
I thought I made the point clear but for a happy go lucky gold fish, with out slander on just how sharp you were on this one, I'll just say yes. :D
So we do not have to do this again my reasoning. First and foremost one must understand when drafting a player it must be analyzed not only what a player may do for your team but what you may be able to get for them in a trade. This now or down the road, Williams fits a hole the sun needs to fill right now as KML did not. A four time All American, scorer, rebounder, shot blocker and assists from a front line player is not easy to come by. I see her not only as a need but if not a fit of greater trade value.

As for KML she has a niche but questions to be answered yet at the next level. And again it all depends on where you land and how you fit.
Would KML have been the all time best 3 point shooter on a team that did not lead the world in assists? Would Williams have even achieved greater status had she played here for four years under Geno & Co? Many questions remain to be answered but I agree with the pick at this time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
First and foremost one must understand when drafting a player it must be analyzed not only what a player may do for your team but what you may be able to get for them in a trade.

Nonsense, that's a strategy for losers.

Reaction Score
Nonsense, that's a strategy for losers.
OK your angry and think you have a better idea than most, care to explain how and why you would have chosen different? Any dummy can keep throwing out one liners of slander with out reasoning behind it. I think you are above that and possibly very knowledgeable on the topic. Please fill us in on why KML would have been a better fit for the Sun at this time. At the very least give this loser the strategy of one who must have the mind of a winner! :) I thank you in advance for the enlightenment! :rolleyes:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
OK your angry and think you have a better idea than most, care to explain how and why you would have chosen different? Any dummy can keep throwing out one liners of slander with out reasoning behind it. I think you are above that and possibly very knowledgeable on the topic. Please fill us in on why KML would have been a better fit for the Sun at this time. At the very least give this loser the strategy of one who must have the mind of a winner! :) I thank you in advance for the enlightenment! :rolleyes:

You have gone off the rails. I don't know what you are talking about. My last comment was a response to your point that "when drafting a player it must be analyzed ...what you may be able to get for them in a trade." The draft is where you get stars. not look for trade chips. That's the loser strategy I was talking about.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't watch much WNBA but I have followed the draft for a long time and not to ruin things for anyone but what I see is a situation where things in the W are done for the good of the league as opposed to teams doing things for their own benefit. I remember the days when the draft lottery was held behind closed doors and despite having several chances for elite stars, the Sun always seemed to end up picking 4th or 5th. There's a reason that the top draws go elsewhere every year. Whalen didn't last, Charles left and I expect to hear that Chiney gets traded for 3 journeymen and the 5th pick next year.

Alydar

Could you explain how it's "good for the league" for the Suns not to have competitive personnel.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Could you explain how it's "good for the league" for the Suns not to have competitive personnel.[/QUOTE]

Ann Donovan gives me the impression she does not like UCONN personnel - Kelly Faris is the lone rep on the Sun (with a very minor role).

Willing to bet that the Storm and the Mystics both do a lot better than the Sun. Could it be that it's also the coaching ????

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Could you explain how it's "good for the league" for the Suns not to have competitive personnel.

Ann Donovan gives me the impression she does not like UCONN personnel - Kelly Faris is the lone rep on the Sun (with a very minor role).

Willing to bet that the Storm and the Mystics both do a lot better than the Sun. Could it be that it's also the coaching ????[/QUOTE]

I've got to agree with CC on this one. It's always struck me as strange that so few UConn kids wind up on the Sun, and if they do, bail as quickly as they can. I live in Ohio and get over to Indy for 3-4 games a year, usually based on what ex UConn players are on the collective rosters. If I still lived in Ct, I'd be much more inclined to attend Sun games if they had more of our kids on the roster. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.
With all the quality UConn players in the league right now, it would seem that the management or coaches have made the poor decision to avoid UConn kids.

Reaction Score
Personally I think the main problem is Chris Sienko the VP. Not only is he the VP of the Sun but he is also the VP of the Mohegan Sun. He isn't going anywhere soon. The WNBA loves the Sun setup at the Mohegan (WNBA Draft & All-Star games). Their draft picks have been questionable in the last couple of years. While I love Kelly Faris at UConn I'm not sure she should have been a round one pick of the Sun. I agree with the comments by Geno that he isn't sure why they took Kelly because they didn't need a defensive player they needed scoring. He said she really needed to go to the right place that she could fit in. Mike Thibault had loyalty from several people like Tina and Kara. They were mad at management (Sienko) for his firing and they chose to leave. This year was a great pick with Elizabeth Williams, but let's be honest that pick was handed to them. She was the last elite player in the mix.
I've never been a fan of Ann Donovan and I'm willing to bet if she can't turn the team around this season she will be a goner soon.

Reaction Score
This will be another long year for us loyal SUN fans. Maybe they will tank the season to get Stewart, only to have her ask to leave after a year. I think the location of the SUN doesn't help to keep players. If I am not mistaken, the other teams are all located in cities which may be what the players want. It just seems that we have our fare share of good players asking for trades.
Seinko is probably here for the duration, but the coach has to change. If KT is interested, she would be my choice.

Reaction Score
This will be another long year for us loyal SUN fans. Maybe they will tank the season to get Stewart, only to have her ask to leave after a year. I think the location of the SUN doesn't help to keep players. If I am not mistaken, the other teams are all located in cities which may be what the players want. It just seems that we have our fare share of good players asking for trades.
Seinko is probably here for the duration, but the coach has to change. If KT is interested, she would be my choice.
I love the idea of Katie Douglas. I do agree with you regarding the location. The best situations are the WNBA teams that have NBA teams also. I would think that the UConn players would prefer playing in a different location then Connecticut again. Chiney has seemed happy to be here but it's early yet. I do think if this franchise is successful again players will be more apt to sign with the Sun. I was surprised that Katie Douglas returned.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Ain't that the Damn Truth!!

Reaction Score
In my not so humble opinion (IMNSO) I offer this opinion of Anne Donovan--good player, nice person, Horrible Coach--she has proven this over and over. Can we please get Mike Back???

Reaction Score
Williams against Kiah Stokes loses every time--watch the Duke reruns. I like William and respect her wanting to be a doctor, but didn't deserve the ranking or hoopla she got. Kiah didn't deserve the hoopla she didn't get either!!!

Willing to bet that the Storm and the Mystics both do a lot better than the Sun. Could it be that it's also the coaching ????

I've got to agree with CC on this one. It's always struck me as strange that so few UConn kids wind up on the Sun, and if they do, bail as quickly as they can. I live in Ohio and get over to Indy for 3-4 games a year, usually based on what ex UConn players are on the collective rosters. If I still lived in Ct, I'd be much more inclined to attend Sun games if they had more of our kids on the roster. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.
With all the quality UConn players in the league right now, it would seem that the management or coaches have made the poor decision to avoid UConn kids.[/QUOTE]
it's interesting few if any Uconn on the Sun. Wasn't Uconn kids the reason the Sun was successful early on, didn't they almost build the franchise and the WNBA???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom