CONFIRMED: Boyle Takes Over as QB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CONFIRMED: Boyle Takes Over as QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm hoping for 2 things. first that the line blocks for him better than it has; and second that even if he has a mediocre performance that coach and the fan base sticks with him. don't forget that this time last year he was playing against high school players. Keep in mind that in Orlovsky's first game as a starter he was 14/32 with a td and an interception. And he had come off the bench in a backup role a few times before that game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It would be great if we got a little insider info at the end of the week as to how practice went with Boyle at the helm.

I'm not expecting miracles. just someone with a little better vision (with the 4 extra inches) and a little faster release.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing an interim coach, fighting to save his job and the respectability of the program, is doing this just to juice the fan base. You gotta pick the kid who gives you the best chance to win. Let's not pretend Whitmer has been all sunshine and flowers. Maybe it's all the O-line. Maybe not. But it sounds like, from what we've heard in practices, that people think Boyle is ready.

Hard to believe they'd throw him to the wolves to sell a few more tickets. I hope.

Ok Let's get this little lesson out to everybody once and for all.

#1. Division 1 football programs have people that monitor beat writers, websites, chat boards, newspapers 24/7 to get any information they can about their opponents. No - it's not paranoia - it's football.

#2. Announcing that you will be starting a true freshmen in the media, is essentially extending an open invitation to your opponent, to throw the kitchen sink at your offense in the form of blitz packages and gear up like hell to stop the run.

#3. Announcing that you will be starting a true freshmen QB TWO WEEKS in advance of a game, is giving your opponent defense two weeks to prepare for #2.

NOW: With that in mind, through 4 games of film this season, 12 last season, and the 12 before that - there is no reason whatsoever, for our offense, to be expecting anything but every opponent we see from here on in blitzing on every down, and gearing up like hell to stop the run.

So what possible purpose could announcing such a change now have?

Public relations.

I've got no problem with it. I'm excited to see the kid play. I'm tired of Whitmer's mistakes, and if we're going to have to live with QB mistakes, I'd prefer them to be freshmen mistakes, where it's easy to learn from and demonstrate progress, than what we're enduring with Whitmer.

Also - the best way to take pressure of a true freshmen QB in his first start, is to actually run the ball.

Get it?

The challenge has been laid down on this new coaching staff, and the players.

I like it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing an interim coach, fighting to save his job and the respectability of the program, is doing this just to juice the fan base. You gotta pick the kid who gives you the best chance to win. Let's not pretend Whitmer has been all sunshine and flowers. Maybe it's all the O-line. Maybe not. But it sounds like, from what we've heard in practices, that people think Boyle is ready.

Hard to believe they'd throw him to the wolves to sell a few more tickets. I hope.

Whitmer, behind a great OLine, with a good blocking TE and a solid FB kept in to block, is ok. He just doesn't handle pressure well, panics, gets happy feet and makes mistakes. He also takes a long time to get rid of the ball, and doesn't go through reads quickly enough. Lots of QBs have these problems. He's been an INT machine for long enough to try somebody else.

If Boyle is in (and I think it is significant that it is Boyle, not the more experienced Cochran), I am guessing that it is because the coaches think he has some particular quality that will allow him to function better in this offense, with this team. I don't know enough about Boyle, but with this group, I'd want a QB with a high FB IQ, ability to read defenses quickly, quick delivery and accuracy.

Reaction Score

#1. Division 1 football programs have people that monitor beat writers, websites, chat boards, newspapers 24/7 to get any information they can about their opponents. No - it's not paranoia - it's football.

#2. Announcing that you will be starting a true freshmen in the media, is essentially extending an open invitation to your opponent, to throw the kitchen sink at your offense in the form of blitz packages and gear up like hell to stop the run.

#3. Announcing that you will be starting a true freshmen QB TWO WEEKS in advance of a game, is giving your opponent defense two weeks to prepare for #2.

NOW: With that in mind, through 4 games of film this season, 12 last season, and the 12 before that - there is no reason whatsoever, for our offense, to be expecting anything but every opponent we see from here on in blitzing on every down, and gearing up like hell to stop the run.

Public relations.

I've got no problem with it. I'm excited to see the kid play. I'm tired of Whitmer's mistakes, and if we're going to have to live with QB mistakes, I'd prefer them to be freshmen mistakes, where it's easy to learn from and demonstrate progress, than what we're enduring with Whitmer.

Also - the best way to take pressure of a true freshmen QB in his first start, is to actually run the ball.

Get it?

I like it.

I don't know what all of us football novices would do without you.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Public relations.

Get it?

I like it.
Posts like this make it hard to defend you when you occasionally come up with a good point. The coach decided that Boyle gave us the best chance to win. Period. No ulterior motive. Yes, sometimes football really is that simple.

Reaction Score
Posts like this make it hard to defend you when you occasionally come up with a good point. The coach decided that Boyle gave us the best chance to win. Period. No ulterior motive. Yes, sometimes football really is that simple.

In fairness to Carl.....I don't think he disagrees with that. What I think Carl is trying to say, in 1,000 words or more, is that the announcement of this 11 days before the actual game is to create some excitement amongst the fans. I think that's part of it. I also think P let the cat out of the bag in his farewell presser (which, IMO he should not have done).

Then again, it's Carl. You would think a guy so well versed in football would've seen that the team quit on P last December against Cincy. But to his credit he eventually caught up to everyone else with a pulse 10 months later.

I kid Carl. I kid.

Reaction Score
Somewhere Logan Marchi celebrates, there will now be two years of separation between him and Boyle (assuming Marchi redshirts next year). Having another very talented QB committed makes it easier to burn Boyle's redshirt.

Reaction Score

I'm not here for credibility. I love UCONN. I love UCONN football. I also love to write. So - the two things go together, a place where you can write about UCONN football.

BUT: if that's the case - if that's all it is mike - why announce it? Wouldn't it have been better to spring a new QB on USF on game day?

It was not beyond Edsall to do keep such things away from the media, and then do it on game day.

Reaction Score
In fairness to Carl.....I don't think he disagrees with that. What I think Carl is trying to say, in 1,000 words or more, is that the announcement of this 11 days before the actual game is to create some excitement amongst the fans. I think that's part of it. I also think P let the cat out of the bag in his farewell presser (which, IMO he should not have done).

Then again, it's Carl. You would think a guy so well versed in football would've seen that the team quit on P last December against Cincy. But to his credit he eventually caught up to everyone else with a pulse 10 months later.

I kid Carl. I kid.

Yes - this is exactly what I meant, announcing this is a PR move, to stimulate the fan base, it's a good move. It's got me excited, and I'm not the only one, and I was responding to a poster who wrote the following after I first suggested this be the case:

.............."I have a hard time believing an interim coach, fighting to save his job and the respectability of the program, is doing this just to juice the fan base. You gotta pick the kid who gives you the best chance to win. Let's not pretend Whitmer has been all sunshine and flowers. Maybe it's all the O-line. Maybe not. But it sounds like, from what we've heard in practices, that people think Boyle is ready.

Hard to believe they'd throw him to the wolves to sell a few more tickets. I hope................."

The reality, is that YES - HELL YES _ things like this happen in the media to sell tickets. That Boyle is ready? That you have to assume that the coaching staff has made a good decision. No way to know - but the announcement? Totally public relations. We were going to get blitzed like hell anyway. It's a huge challenge to the offense, and I like it. It's telling the world, yup - we know what's coming and we're going to be ready.

(as much as you can say that for two winless teams going at it.......LOL)

Reaction Score
P let the cat out of the bag. Intentional or not intentional it felt a little like sabotage.

Reaction Score
There would be no other reason to announce the starting QB for USF this early than for PR purposes. While he certainly could have, and probably feels Boyle gives us the best chance to win, there is no other reason to tell us now.

As for PP telling everyone he was going to start Boyle for USF, that was certainly done to say..."See..if you had just let me coach a little longer, I knew Boyle was the answer". Of course Boyle would have to do well for that line to work.

Reaction Score
I feel like I did when I was single on the dating scene. You meet a new girl......you have hope, there's potential, there's butterflies....but in the end, she has to put out.

TJ has to put out.

But would you respect me if I put out on the first date? :)

Reaction Score
I'm not here for credibility. I love UCONN. I love UCONN football. I also love to write. So - the two things go together, a place where you can write about UCONN football.

BUT: if that's the case - if that's all it is mike - why announce it? Wouldn't it have been better to spring a new QB on USF on game day?

It was not beyond Edsall to do keep such things away from the media, and then do it on game day.

I disagree with 95 % of what you write, but I don't think anyone here questions your love for UCONN football.

Reaction Score
If the decision has been made, and you are planning on giving Boyle starters reps in practice and prepare him to start, then you announce it now. You don't want players and coaches dealing with questions about it for 2 weeks, and you want to show confidence in Boyle. And its not like there's a major style difference between the 2 that is going to affect how teams gameplan. I'm not saying its not good PR, but there's plenty of football reasons for announcing it now too.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Fair enough, Carl. We agree more than we disagree. :)

Reaction Score
Boyle in - Whitmer out and Taylor watching closely!

From today's practice:

Boyle - Taylor.jpg

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I hope you love UCONN more than journalism because your writing is for .

Reaction Score
Boyle in - Whitmer out and Taylor watching closely!

From today's practice:

View attachment 3853
This is probably a stupid question, but why isn't he throwing with his fingers on the laces. Have I been doing it wrong all this time?

On a side note you have to think privately at least that Addazio and the BC fanbase are hoping Boyle is a bust. Him helping elevate UConn back to at least Edsall levels would be a nice unintended thank you from BC to us.

Reaction Score
On a side note you have to think privately at least that Addazio and the BC fanbase are hoping Boyle is a bust. Him helping elevate UConn back to at least Edsall levels would be a nice unintended thank you from BC to us.

And if Timmy has any hair on his nuts you have to know he wants to give the Dazzler a big ole !!! TB is gonna be the one playing with a chip on his shoulder.

My Gram always said things happen for a reason.

Reaction Score

The "lesson out to everybody" was cute ... in a very big douchey way.

Every opponent will now blitz and gear up to stop the run? Really? What have they been doing the last 5 years against UCONN? Playing cover 3? Have you even watched any UCONN football games in the last 5 years??????

Reaction Score
I don't like burning Boyle's redshirt at this point in the season, especially with an 0-4 record, but I understand that Coach Weist needs to win some games to have a shot at keeping the job. Obviously Weist got the okay from Warde to do this. At the end of the day, I give Warde credit for allowing this. He definitely wants to try to win some games this year......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom