Conference Realignment: WAC/ASUN Football Only Conference | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Conference Realignment: WAC/ASUN Football Only Conference

Reaction Score
I'm not disagreeing with you on that. I'm just saying that playing those schools didn't do anything to harm our program. Our attendance plummeted because we were one of the worst programs in FBS. Coaching hurt our program, not the conference.
We had a couple lean years after Orlovsky left and attendance stayed relatively strong. But you're right, we became unwatchable.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
To get back on topic: the press release included info that the league may add four schools in addition to the ten. If this passes through the NCAA, we will have 148 schools in the FBS. That is more than ever before. Not only that, what is to stop the top three leagues in FCS (CAA, Big Sky, and MVFC) to jump up as well?

At that point, we would have 183 schools in FBS football and 79 in FCS. What's the point?

Reaction Score
UConn
UMass
Army
Navy
Temple
USF
ECU
Memphis

Let’s get it done.
That’s basically rejoining the original AAC with its 3 best teams missing. This board complained that fans wouldn’t attend these games the first time around, what’s changed?

UCONN’s best bet is to wait for The B1G and SEC to carve up The ACC and join some reconfigured version of the conference like it did Big East Football 2.0

Reaction Score
Don’t hold your breath waiting for the acc to come calling

shizzle787

Reaction Score
That’s basically rejoining the original AAC with its 3 best teams missing. This board complained that fans wouldn’t attend these games the first time around, what’s changed?

UCONN’s best bet is to wait for The B1G and SEC to carve up The ACC and join some reconfigured version of the conference like it did Big East Football 2.0
The issue with the American was more basketball than football. We got downgraded from the #1 league to the #7 league in basketball. Football went from #5 (ahead of the ACC) to #6. Also, the issue was playing teams like Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Memphis, and Houston that our fanbase has no interest in playing. Personally, our eyes should be on the ACC prize for 7/1/36.
With the exception of ECU and Memphis in my hypothetical league, the other five programs would absolutely drive attendance (Army, Navy, UMass, Temple, USF). Either way, I'm not holding my breath. Being independent for the next 13 season is fine with me as long as we don't go 12-0 one year and miss the playoff (don't think either would happen-but you never know).

Reaction Score
The issue with the American was more basketball than football. We got downgraded from the #1 league to the #7 league in basketball. Football went from #5 (ahead of the ACC) to #6. Also, the issue was playing teams like Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Memphis, and Houston that our fanbase has no interest in playing. Personally, our eyes should be on the ACC prize for 7/1/36.
With the exception of ECU and Memphis in my hypothetical league, the other five programs would absolutely drive attendance (Army, Navy, UMass, Temple, USF). Either way, I'm not holding my breath. Being independent for the next 13 season is fine with me as long as we don't go 12-0 one year and miss the playoff (don't think either would happen-but you never know).
14 years down the line. Oh my.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
14 years down the line. Oh my.
That is the most realistic time table though. The ACC grant of rights expires in 2036. At that point, it is likely UNC goes swimming in the SEC or B1G swimming pool.

Reaction Score
The pressure on the ACC financial situation is intense right now and the gap with the Big 10 and SEC is going to continue to grow. Look at the coaching salary differences between conferences. I think something will happen with the ACC before the media contract is up.

Reaction Score
Even if the acc lost schools… its far from a sure thing they would even invite us…

Reaction Score
If they join/build a conference worse than the AAC, what the duck was the point of continuing with football at all. I dont want to play UMass every year regardless of proximity. They are such a boring team in the middle of nowhere. Same with the rest of the teams in the Northeast. There is not one exciting match up anywhere near us. Penn State might be the closest team I'd be interested in playing. That is why independent status opens us up to teams all over the place and provides us with a cooler evwr changing schedule. And please stop it with Army and Navy. God bless em all, but I hate watching them play football.

Reaction Score
I'm not disagreeing with you on that. I'm just saying that playing those schools didn't do anything to harm our program. Our attendance plummeted because we were one of the worst programs in FBS. Coaching hurt our program, not the conference.
Exactly. And though nobody will admit it, it was the same for basketball and honestly soccer too. When we were a national contender they drew remarkable crowds. You win, people show up. You don’t win, they don’t.

Reaction Score
That is the most realistic time table though. The ACC grant of rights expires in 2036. At that point, it is likely UNC goes swimming in the SEC or B1G swimming pool.
The GOR ends then but at some point it is worth the money, or could be, to leave anyway. It might be with 5 years remaining or it might be with 10. And a fundamental rule of business is that virtually any contract can be bought out even if it says it can’t. Another one is that nobody wants a partner who doesn’t want to be there. That’s why nearly every league withdrawal ends up being settled early.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Moving to any conference with UMASS football is the death of the program. Stay independent until we get a golden ticket to ACC or B1G.

Reaction Score
Moving to any conference with UMASS football is the death of the program. Stay independent until we get a golden ticket to ACC or B1G.

I see this opinion all the time and it makes no sense at all. We play them every year as it is and they are in fact our football rivalry game. Why would being in a newly formed G5 football only conference with them be damaging?

Reaction Score
How is this better than independence? This is the AAC without the money.

It's better because it would give us access to the G5 auto-bid and make scheduling easier (2 loss Tulane would be in the playoff this year)

There is also a real reason to worry that as an independent we might see future schedules with two FCS teams in one year, If we joined a conference we wouldn't need to schedule any FCS teams. (schedule 4-P5 games plus 8 conference games)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I saw this on another site and agree with its sentiment. The ACC GOR won't last till 2036. It just wont.
'Army fan here. As a fellow independent I think the Army-UConn series will be a nice competitive series and good for both schools and should be lucrative to both due to proximity and level of play. Both should consider teaming with Navy to navigate the future realignment challenges for scheduling. I predict due to the long term bad TV contract, the ACC is going to implode and the big ACC schools; Clemson FSU, VT, UNC, NCSU and maybe Miami will migrate to the SEC, BIG and Big XII. That will leave the academically oriented schools like; Wake, Duke, GT, Pitt, BC, Syracuse and possibly Miami adding like minded Army, Navy and UConn. That seems like the right mix, a good fit and the start of a nice academically oriented regionally configured conference. Just an idea.

Reaction Score
That will leave the academically oriented schools like; Wake, Duke, GT, Pitt, BC, Syracuse and possibly Miami adding like minded Army, Navy and UConn. That seems like the right mix, a good fit and the start of a nice academically oriented regionally configured conference. Just an idea.

If that happens those schools should join forces with the Big East to form a hybrid conference and we will have gone full circle.

Reaction Score
I see this opinion all the time and it makes no sense at all. We play them every year as it is and they are in fact our football rivalry game. Why would being in a newly formed G5 football only conference with them be damaging?
They're only a "rival" because we have been so bad.

Reaction Score
Rival and peer are not the same. OU leads ok state 91-19 in the Bedlam. UMass is a rival. They are not a peer.
again, downward thinking. I'm done with this. I didn't come to UConn to see UMass as worthwhile.

Reaction Score
again, downward thinking. I'm done with this. I didn't come to UConn to see UMass as worthwhile.
No one really cares why you went to UConn, it has zero impact on UConn's rivalries. It all depends on who they actually play and how often they play.

With the exception of 2020, UConn plays UMass every year from 2018-2027. They don't play any other school that often. That's a rivalry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom