Conference play, fresh start | The Boneyard

Conference play, fresh start

Reaction Score
This team isn’t very good. We can all see that. Minus Gilbert and even with him, this team is not likely to be good at any point this season. Wiping the slate clean and starting over at 0-0 is not going change things any more than a new year will change somebody’s dating luck. The flaws are not only present but are also engraved in the central arteries of the organism at large. The coach has lost control of the program and the players know it. When your king is fatally wounded, it leaves your players ripe for infighting, sulking, and periodic indifference. I’m sure we’re going to see all of it.

OK I’m not making this sound very enticing. Why should I care if the players don’t (this isn’t true, but let’s assume for a minute that it is and they’re checked out)? Well, you shouldn’t. That’s the point. The redeeming value of a deep slumber lies in the fact that they can’t hurt you anymore. The only person that is going to hurt or help you is now…you. And before anybody accuses me of playing armchair psychologist…shut up. This isn’t a rally-the-troops post nor is it an attempt to get inside your mind. This is my story and if you’re offended by it then it’s probably yours too. I’m going to continue to go to games and continue to watch on TV and continue to post on the boneyard because that’s what I do. I don’t need a good team to do any of that. I don’t need a good team to throw on my Kemba jersey, shovel myself out of my driveway and listen to music on the way to the game. I don’t need a good team to drink beer, eat pretzels, sing the fight song, scream my lungs out, or heckle opposing players. I just need myself. And you know, now that it’s all over, I remember that I was there more than I remember Kemba, Shabazz, or anybody else being there. I remember being in Hartford for three days last year with my dad and being sick to my stomach not because they lost but because it was over. That feeling should stay the same no matter what.

As for the team, well, you never know what’s going to happen. We might not have good players, but we have players capable of getting better. We might not have good players, but we have at least a couple players capable of playing well. The other team may have good players, but they sure as hell have players capable of playing poorly, and a home court advantage wouldn’t hurt.

The conference has some clout this year. The American already has victories over Arkansas, Arizona, UCLA, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Providence, Clemson, Wisconsin, Alabama, Marquette, Auburn, Mississippi State, Boise State, Nebraska, and Kansas State. Those are teams that are ranked, have been ranked, will be ranked, or would be in the mix to be ranked if not for losses to AAC teams. That might not seem like a lot, but trust that compared to past years it is. In a year like this, where we're over-matched against the best P5 teams, I almost prefer it to losing by 30 to Virginia. Their opponent's will be good enough to where you can feel good about beating them but not so good that they can't lose to mediocre teams on the road. By and large, that's college basketball. The team that showed up in Alabama on Saturday can lose to anybody. The one that played on Thursday in Arizona can spring an upset.

If you have better things to do than watch a bad UConn team, then good for you. Seriously. The “die-hard fan” label isn’t something you earn. It’s not some honor or document that you can put on your resume. The best fans tend to be more like victims. They don’t turn away because they can’t and somehow getting kicked in the gut alongside other people turns out to be more fun than some stupid thing you do yourself. So if you feel stupid for painting your face and spending $40 and talking yourself into us beating Wichita next weekend, don’t. The people who should feel stupid are the ones who thought they needed an excuse to have fun.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I have some confidence we will do okay in conference. Seems we have been on the road for a year. Who does the scheduling?AD? Ollie? Why would you enter in a monster tournament in Portland. Was this scheduled before we had 4 players bail on us? Oregon was a good win. That I will admit. I think we have a tough schedule for the players we have. Problem is, those experienced players we picked up really don't look so hot. Now Anderson is a different story. Last couple of games he was AWOL however he still gives 100%. My opinion only. My feeling is they will be home. The crowd will be there. This may be a turning point. A few conference wins will boost their confidence. Watched WS a couple of times. There were a few teams that will watch the tournament at home that gave WS problems in the first half. Who knows.
Wofford beat North Carolina. Duke lost to a super cupcake. Normally they do that in the first round of the big dance. Our cupcakes we played at the start of the season really did not look so bad. Maybe the Stony Books and Columbias of America are getting better? Just a thought. I agree we have a few problems. Don't be surprised if we walk off the court with a win Saturday.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Like I said last year and this year, this team is bad and won’t win more than 16, if that.. we all want to see a winner, let’s just hope the top folks figure this all out before we officially become UMASS

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Based on recent results I’ll take .500 in conference and 1 or 2 wins against the top 3 teams. Anything more is gravy.

Reaction Score
I have a dream....

that our boys beat Wichita State and the Boneyard goes quiet with shock.
Good that the students are on break. The adults will get very quiet against Wichita. The students would boo. Which should not happen. Do not question the team's effort. They just are not a good team.

Reaction Score
This team isn’t very good. We can all see that. Minus Gilbert and even with him, this team is not likely to be good at any point this season. Wiping the slate clean and starting over at 0-0 is not going change things any more than a new year will change somebody’s dating luck. The flaws are not only present but are also engraved in the central arteries of the organism at large. The coach has lost control of the program and the players know it. When your king is fatally wounded, it leaves your players ripe for infighting, sulking, and periodic indifference. I’m sure we’re going to see all of it.

OK I’m not making this sound very enticing. Why should I care if the players don’t (this isn’t true, but let’s assume for a minute that it is and they’re checked out)? Well, you shouldn’t. That’s the point. The redeeming value of a deep slumber lies in the fact that they can’t hurt you anymore. The only person that is going to hurt or help you is now…you. And before anybody accuses me of playing armchair psychologist…shut up. This isn’t a rally-the-troops post nor is it an attempt to get inside your mind. This is my story and if you’re offended by it then it’s probably yours too. I’m going to continue to go to games and continue to watch on TV and continue to post on the boneyard because that’s what I do. I don’t need a good team to do any of that. I don’t need a good team to throw on my Kemba jersey, shovel myself out of my driveway and listen to music on the way to the game. I don’t need a good team to drink beer, eat pretzels, sing the fight song, scream my lungs out, or heckle opposing players. I just need myself. And you know, now that it’s all over, I remember that I was there more than I remember Kemba, Shabazz, or anybody else being there. I remember being in Hartford for three days last year with my dad and being sick to my stomach not because they lost but because it was over. That feeling should stay the same no matter what.

As for the team, well, you never know what’s going to happen. We might not have good players, but we have players capable of getting better. We might not have good players, but we have at least a couple players capable of playing well. The other team may have good players, but they sure as hell have players capable of playing poorly, and a home court advantage wouldn’t hurt.

The conference has some clout this year. The American already has victories over Arkansas, Arizona, UCLA, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Providence, Clemson, Wisconsin, Alabama, Marquette, Auburn, Mississippi State, Boise State, Nebraska, and Kansas State. Those are teams that are ranked, have been ranked, will be ranked, or would be in the mix to be ranked if not for losses to AAC teams. That might not seem like a lot, but trust that compared to past years it is. In a year like this, where we're over-matched against the best P5 teams, I almost prefer it to losing by 30 to Virginia. Their opponent's will be good enough to where you can feel good about beating them but not so good that they can't lose to mediocre teams on the road. By and large, that's college basketball. The team that showed up in Alabama on Saturday can lose to anybody. The one that played on Thursday in Arizona can spring an upset.

If you have better things to do than watch a bad UConn team, then good for you. Seriously. The “die-hard fan” label isn’t something you earn. It’s not some honor or document that you can put on your resume. The best fans tend to be more like victims. They don’t turn away because they can’t and somehow getting kicked in the gut alongside other people turns out to be more fun than some stupid thing you do yourself. So if you feel stupid for painting your face and spending $40 and talking yourself into us beating Wichita next weekend, don’t. The people who should feel stupid are the ones who thought they needed an excuse to have fun.

Wow! That must have felt like the biggest crap you ever took in your life! What a bowel movement! Amazing! Hope you feel better and can relax now!

Reaction Score
16 wins is hopeful. I expect barn burners against the worst teams in our league. What I experienced in our last game left me whimpering alone in a corner like a scalded dog.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Champs, did you consume some of those special 'spice drops' too?

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
We will soon see if the team / coach have pride in their work, and if they truly care about UConn basketball.

I think the leaders of the team will reflect on their games, and will come back more focused and even ready to pass the ball!

Reaction Score
If @champs99and04 is down on the team then we are really in trouble. So I guess we're not going undefeated the rest of the way and winning the National Championship? Darn.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
16 wins is hopeful. I expect barn burners against the worst teams in our league. What I experienced in our last game left me whimpering alone in a corner like a scalded dog.
This is probably the most realistic expectation going into league play. I was just a teenager during the Dom Perno era and the first couple of years when Jim Calhoun took over. I remember how it felt being the underdog almost all the time yet having hope you could score an upset. (I recall the Perno-led Huskies knocking off Syracuse at the then Hartford Civic Center.) And for the first time in about 30 years I have that feeling again. When I hear coaches like Bruce Pearl, Sean Miller or Mike Anderson talk about how UConn is a storied program and how we've won 4 national championships in 18 years, etc. it all seems so far removed from present reality. The good thing is the UConn brand or history of winning is still recognized but it is fading quickly. Though I am hopeful we will somehow get our act together and will be pleasantly surprised by the performance of this team in league play I'm thinking maybe finishing in the middle of the pack would probably be an accomplishment, but who knows. I will continue to root for the Huskies as I have for 30+ years and hope for the best for this year and the years ahead. The AD can't let this slide much further though without making some changes. Even The Courant's Dom D'Amore who has seemed reluctant to criticize KO now believes he is on the hot seat: UConn Men: Five Takeaways From The Loss At Auburn

Reaction Score
If you have better things to do than watch a bad UConn team, then good for you.

This is certainly a rhetorical question, champs. We all have better things to do than watch a bad UConn team. And one should not pass up the opportunity to discover what those things are -- to give a little thought to the sources of happiness in one's life that are actually under one's control. I did exactly that in Burr Carlson's 5-19 season, finally putting UConn basketball into perspective after years of uncontrollable pre-game tremors. It didn't stop me from being courtside when Dee Rowe started the next season 5-0, including a win against UMass and Julius Erving. And it didn't stop me from rooting with enthusiasm for JC's 18-15 1996-7 team, a year that was a big drop-off from what we had come to expect but a true rebuilding year, with genuine young talent and a genuinely competent coach. I invite you to contrast and compare.

Reaction Score
This is certainly a rhetorical question, champs. We all have better things to do than watch a bad UConn team. And one should not pass up the opportunity to discover what those things are -- to give a little thought to the sources of happiness in one's life that are actually under one's control. I did exactly that in Burr Carlson's 5-19 season, finally putting UConn basketball into perspective after years of uncontrollable pre-game tremors. It didn't stop me from being courtside when Dee Rowe started the next season 5-0, including a win against UMass and Julius Erving. And it didn't stop me from rooting with enthusiasm for JC's 18-15 1996-7 team, a year that was a big drop-off from what we had come to expect but a true rebuilding year, with genuine young talent and a genuinely competent coach. I invite you to contrast and compare.

Well, that was the intention of my post. That's why people will turn out to watch us play, even as we struggle. They can process the play on the court in its appropriate context and still enjoy themselves. Great things bring people together so that even when they stop being great the people are still together. That's what matters the most. Spectating has always been to sport what reading has been to literature; being a fan is a performance art. The product matters but most of the meaning is self-constructed. The product seems so depressing right now only because it's such a departure from what we're used to. That's why the best fans are often the ones who expect the least, which isn't to say that you don't have the right to expect things - everybody does - but that they play an active role in the experience rather than a passive one. I trust that you being somebody who has been there since the humble beginnings allows you understand this. UConn basketball is about you and always has been. That shouldn't change because of something out of your control.

And look, I'm not trying to lecture anybody. The current situation is bleak. Am I as excited as I would be if we were ranked? Of course not. In my opinion the product is bad and it likely will not improve this season. Moving forward, the fate of the program will likely be determined by the next coach. In the meantime all we have to keep us occupied are the actual games. Personally, rooting for a bad UConn team in December has always been much more fun than rooting for a great one in July. Other people who are more invested than me might feel differently.

The goal here isn't to change anybody's mind. I have no stake in this. I do suspect, though, that there are plenty of people who feel the way I do and I don't want them to be chased away by the way things are portrayed here. It's normal to take pride in your school and your basketball program even when they are bad. That's obviously true of the people on this board but I think sometimes they care too much.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if you could take one or two minutes to read my post or at the very least click on a new thread that fits your attention span.
I did read your post. What you said has been said over and over on the boneyard.
The difference is the previous posts are much briefer.

Reaction Score
You know what makes me sad? That this team actually is a vital part of some people's lives and, for those people, it is a rare source of joy and a distraction from the challenges they face.

I remember my father telling me in 1987 that Calhoun was a good coach and that this was going to be a good team. That was my freshman year and he was battling cancer. He loved watching those teams play and it was a distraction from what he was going through. He didn't live long enough to even see the dream season.

My wife's grandfather was a big fan of both the men and the women. He was a tough WWII vet that landed on Normandy. He did get to see both teams win championships. And when he was battling cancer, the games and our conversations about those games were a distraction for him. It really brought happiness into his life, if even temporarily.

The women are still a source of happiness for those who are fans and are going through tough times. But the men are not. That's the sad part.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom