Conference play, fresh start | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Conference play, fresh start

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Uconn had a chance at a fresh start when they had a unique 12 day break to freshen up, improve and work on issues. To lose by 25 in the 2nd game back from such a break is a huge problem in my opinion. To lose by a combined 40 in the first 2 games is alarming. What did they do in the 12 days they had?
We were taking the stairs. Turns out, winners take the escalator.

Reaction Score
Our next 4 games we play Wichita, Tulsa, ECU, UCF, and Tulane. We’re not expected to beat Wichita but if KO gets us to keep it close that’s a plus. Tulsa and ECU should be wins. UCF only had a bad loss to West Virginia. Then Tulane. By then we probably know whether we want KO back next year because maybe he turns things. I don’t expect it.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
If this team can harness the energy and aptitude they exuded in most of the Arizona and Michigan State games they can string together some wins. The potential is there. They were exciting to watch for the bulk of the Arizona game. What we have yet to see is any sort of momentum carried over from the positives of one game into the next. Of course, those two games only obtained some degree of "moral victory" and not the W. What keeps me hopeful is that I know this team is capable of doing more. Should be that the best is yet to come for this season "IF" they improve as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
ESPN has an article today (ESPN Insider's article) where they revise their conference projections. UConn is now expected to finish 7th (which would probably equate to around .500). That wouldn't be a fresh start. More like a punch to the gut.

American Athletic Conference
Neither of the two preseason favorites, Wichita State and Cincinnati, have looked infallible so far, but the Shockers are getting Markis McDuffie healthy, and Cincinnati seems to have rebounded from a two-game losing streak. The two teams don't play until Feb. 18, but they will face each other twice in the final five games of the season. SMU looks like an NCAA tournament team, and Houston has surprised despite a couple of weird losses.

1. Wichita State Shockers
2. Cincinnati Bearcats
3. SMU Mustangs
4. Houston Cougars
5. UCF Knights
6. Temple Owls
7. Connecticut Huskies
8. Tulsa Golden Hurricane
9. Memphis Tigers
10. Tulane Green Wave
11. South Florida Bulls
12. East Carolina Pirates

(Revised) projected standings for every conference in the country

Curiouser
Reaction Score
UConn is now expected to finish 7th (which would probably equate to around .500). That wouldn't be a fresh start. More like a punch to the gut.
7th might also be optimistic at this point.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Our next 4 games we play Wichita, Tulsa, ECU, UCF, and Tulane. We’re not expected to beat Wichita but if KO gets us to keep it close that’s a plus. Tulsa and ECU should be wins. UCF only had a bad loss to West Virginia. Then Tulane. By then we probably know whether we want KO back next year because maybe he turns things. I don’t expect it.
There are no "should win" this year. They'll be "might win". When we win, they'll be "we won??". Sad, but this is where we are. I put all road games in the "we'll lose" category and only certain home games in the "might win" category.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
There are no "should win" this year. They'll be "might win". When we win, they'll be "we won??". Sad, but this is where we are. I put all road games in the "we'll lose" category and only certain home games in the "might win" category.
True. There really are no games you can call "locks." None. I won't go so far as to assume we'll lose all road games, but recent history has shown us that there are no W's you can write in beforehand- unless you use a pencil. ;)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
7th might also be optimistic at this point.

Right now, I think we’re probably the 9th best team in the conference.

Reaction Score
Right now, I think we’re probably the 9th best team in the conference.

The only two teams we're comfortably better than right now are South Florida and East Carolina. There are a bunch of other teams in our orbit that aren't very good that we should rack up some wins against by default. Gun to my head, I'd pick us higher than 9th, but it's certainly not out of the question.

I saw the Auburn game coming from a mile away. Mediocre teams almost always perform poorly in those situations - whenever you have several days to prepare for a ranked opponent, play hard in a losing cause, and then have to fly across the country to play a slightly lesser opponent 36 hours later, you're asking for trouble. Every under-achieving team that we have ever had has played that exact game. The 2010 season is a collage of those games.

They'll be ready to play Wichita State. They have enough pride for that and they probably have enough talent to win or at least keep it close if the stars align. The five games following that, especially if they lose Saturday, will be when we see them check out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Auburn game set me back big time, my optimism has waned and my concerns have been elevated. That was just an unacceptable performance.

A win Saturday changes all that, a close game and I'm still not convinced anything except Gilbert returning rights the ship, anther pathetic performance and I might be dumping my lower level season tickets and taking a step back

I can find better things to do than watch them quit

Love the Boneyard.

This guy went from Mr Ollie to dumping his season tickets in one game.

But if they win the next one he’s back on board.

Shocking no league has never snapped up UConn. The first sign of adversity and everyone bails.

Reaction Score
This board is nuts. A fresh start? We had people here thinking we would win 2 out of 3 against Zona, Auburn, and The Shockers. People thinking we had turned the season around because we didn't lose by 30 to Zona, now people thinking we can turn around the season by beating The Shockers.

We had zero chance of beating Zona or Auburn and we have zero chance of beating Wichita State. I put us at 15 wins on the season a long time ago, think I may have been too generous with that. We are a terrible basketball team.

That it is a fresh start is a fact and not an opinion. I don't know what the line will be for the game (maybe +9), but whatever it is I can assure you that Vegas is allowing for the possibility that we "can" win. Are the odds great? No. But to the extent that it is a possibility is simply a matter of math.

It's very possible that we're terrible. I'd describe us as closer to mediocre, but that's subjective. My larger point is that even bad seasons tend to have good moments. Saturday could be one and I'm excited for it.

Reaction Score
Love the Boneyard.

This guy went from Mr Ollie to dumping his season tickets in one game.

But if they win the next one he’s back on board.

Shocking no league has never snapped up UConn. The first sign of adversity and everyone bails.

See, you're just the type of fan I can appreciate. You can be miserable and act miserable but yet still understand the fact that you matter. That's Browns fans and Bills fans for the last two decades. Investing in yourself even when the team doesn't give you reason to do so and somehow getting enough out of it to keep going.

Reaction Score
We don't have a single team under .500. Not bad. Only 5 conferences can claim that as conference play starts. The AAC, the ACC, the Big 12, the Big East and Big Ten.

Recruiting for high-end C-USA schools, such as Tulane, definitely has improved since joining the AAC. Very interesting.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
See, you're just the type of fan I can appreciate. You can be miserable and act miserable but yet still understand the fact that you matter. That's Browns fans and Bills fans for the last two decades. Investing in yourself even when the team doesn't give you reason to do so and somehow getting enough out of it to keep going.

I’m going to have fun on Saturday. It’s going to be odd having so many people in the ol dump.

They may never beat a good team again but at least the fraud superfans can be mocked.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We don't have a single team under .500. Not bad. Only 5 conferences can claim that as conference play starts. The AAC, the ACC, the Big 12, the Big East and Big Ten.

Recruiting for high-end C-USA schools, such as Tulane, definitely has improved since joining the AAC. Very interesting.

See - UConn might be about the 120th best team in the country but ECU is over .500 so shut y’all’s pieholes.

Reaction Score
See - UConn might be about the 120th best team in the country but ECU is over .500 so shut y’all’s pieholes.
They're 6-6. They did lose to some patsies. The Big 12 has the best record OOC right now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They're 6-6. They did lose to some patsies. The Big 12 has the best record OOC right now.

The Big 12 may have accidently stumbled upon the value of not having a ridiculous number of teams in your league.

Looking at the A-10 standings makes my hair hurt.

I looked at the CAA standings earlier and it’s easier to split an atom than figure out how Northeastern and Elon are in the same league.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 may have accidently stumbled upon the value of not having a ridiculous number of teams in your league.

Looking at the A-10 standings makes my hair hurt.

I looked at the CAA standings earlier and it’s easier to split an atom than figure out how Northeastern and Elon are in the same league.
Elon clearly wants go further in exposure and developing the school (increase the size of the operation, increase endowment, etc). No other explanation for these kinds of moves. They may be at the low end of the CAA right now, but before the CAA, they fit in the Southern Conference fine.

Belmont University is joining the Southern Conference soon. Their endowment is $108 mil. The Southern Conference obviously has a long history, but countless schools have gone through it. Such as most SEC schools. And half of the ACC And one Big Ten member.

College of Charleston also left the Southern Conference for the CAA.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Elon clearly wants go further in exposure and developing the school (increase the size of the operation, increase endowment, etc). No other explanation for these kinds of moves. They may be at the low end of the CAA right now, but before the CAA, they fit in the Southern Conference fine.

Belmont University is joining the Southern Conference soon. Their endowment is $108 mil. The Southern Conference obviously has a long history, but countless schools have gone through it. (Such as most SEC schools.)

College of Charleston also left the Southern Conference for the CAA.

They are just Charleston these days.

Reaction Score
We can win some games but it is going to have to be with defense...not the defense we have played so far, a different defense. A defense that stays in touch with outside shooters, rebounds and starts the break.
I have hope for our defense maybe because it is our only hope.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You get the idea. They only have a $71 mil endowment?

I have to admit I don’t really see the connection between the school’s endowment and the quality of their mid-major basketball team...

Reaction Score
I have to admit I don’t really see the connection between the school’s endowment and the quality of their mid-major basketball team...
There isn't one. It's just weird seeing a colonial-era college with that much history having that little money to play with.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom