Commissioner Val’s New Idea | The Boneyard

Commissioner Val’s New Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The country’s worse commissioner comes up with another terrible idea. Pay officials the same for your chief revenue sport for most schools and a sport that makes few dollars and gets few eyeballs. UConn is an exception to that, but this will mean conference men’s games will be even poorer officiated.
IMG_5501.jpeg

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
She has to say things like this. Pay a reliable and proven commodity the same as a newer less experienced brand. Only under certain regimes in some countries under and the NBE.

Reaction Score
The travel is insane with the men too so I’m not sure how that contributes to the argument. Equal pay cool, but let’s not have any officials doing 40 games in 45 days. The setup is broken.

Reaction Score
She is awful. Her priorities are terrible. She cares about things that are worthless. And doesn't care about things that are important. Once again, she is closing the barn door after the horse has left the barn the horses have run away. Useless.

Reaction Score
I read this as she’s going to pay the women’s officials more not the men’s less. Am I way off?

Reaction Score
Before we joined the conference, I remember reading big east fans comments on twitter/reddit/forums about how great a commissioner Val was. I haven't seen any proof of it. The logic behind this move doesn't make much sense even if it seems like the "right" thing to do.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Not really. Resources are not unlimited. If you put money somewhere, you're taking it from somewhere else.

So you would argue we should take the money we would pay to the women's officials and give more to the men's instead? Is there any evidence that our men's officials aren't making enough money?

It's not a bad thing to grow the women's game, especially when there's zero evidence it's at the expense of the men's.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Commish Val is a goober. UCONN is the only winning national brand in a once-glorious conference. She should be doing all she can to keep AD Dave happy.

Reaction Score
I certainly hope work is being done behind the scenes for her ouster after this tournament debacle

Her reaction to it read like was from Mad magazine

What, me worry?

Reaction Score
She is awful. Her priorities are terrible. She cares about things that are worthless. And doesn't care about things that are important. Once again, she is closing the barn door after the horse has left the barn the horses have run away. Useless.

This. Although the BIG east conference officiating is an issue, she needs to be 1 million percent focused on the TV contract.

Reaction Score
Not really. Resources are not unlimited. If you put money somewhere, you're taking it from somewhere else.
Where would you like the Big East to put their money instead?

Reaction Score
I read this as she’s going to pay the women’s officials more not the men’s less. Am I way off?
So the members, only 3 of which made the $ tournament, will either have to pay more for equal pay at current men’s level for womern refs or pay the men’s less if not raising budget. Is it equal pay compensating HS refs the same as college refs and same as pro refs?

Reaction Score
I certainly hope work is being done behind the scenes for her ouster after this tournament debacle

Her reaction to it read like was from Mad magazine

What, me worry?
Instead she throws up this smokescreen - as a message of equating equality to have no merit or accomplishment ingredients. Perfect environment for Val to stay on as Commissioner despite her series of failures.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So you would argue we should take the money we would pay to the women's officials and give more to the men's instead? Is there any evidence that our men's officials aren't making enough money?

It's not a bad thing to grow the women's game, especially when there's zero evidence it's at the expense of the men's.
What was her success rate of growing the women’s game as WNBA or Big East Commissioner?

Reaction Score
Instead she throws up this smokescreen - as a message of equating equality with no merit or accomplishment ingredients. Perfect environment fior Val to stay on as Commissioner despite her series of failures.

Exactly, that is a good point

Calculated to offer protection. She would claim she was removed because she dared to push for equality

Reaction Score
Before we joined the conference, I remember reading big east fans comments on twitter/reddit/forums about how great a commissioner Val was. I haven't seen any proof of it. The logic behind this move doesn't make much sense even if it seems like the "right" thing to do.
Let’s be honest- she was a cool PC pick that is failing miserably as usual.

Reaction Score

I don't see the women's game actually growing long term. I think it's just a flash in the pan. The product just isn't good. It's being driven by a hype machine. Tons of people talking about it don't even watch the games. If you're gonna spend then sure keep spending on the hype machine and the marketing. But no one actually cares what the outcomes are or how they're officiated.

MJ1

Reaction Score
UConn came back to the Big East on her watch, love her or hate her she will be judged on the upcoming Big East media deal. UConn back and a solid media deal and she goes down as a very good commissioner in my opinion.

Reaction Score
The country’s worse commissioner comes up with another terrible idea. Pay officials the same for your chief revenue sport for most schools and a sport that makes few dollars and gets few eyeballs. UConn is an exception to that, but this will mean conference men’s games will be even poorer officiated.
View attachment 99006
It might not be the top priority, but equal pay is coming for Division 1 college basketball officials and it is better to be in front of this issue instead of reacting to it later. The question of equal pay is going to be asked of all commissioners in the near future and can you imagine any commissioner saying the women's refs should be paid less than the men's refs? Never would happen in this day and age. And, remember, the NCAA has already been forced to make the Final Four experience equal for the men and women after all of the publicity showing that they were not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom