Column: Matt Burke: UConn men's basketball is no longer 'big-time' | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Column: Matt Burke: UConn men's basketball is no longer 'big-time'

Reaction Score
'We' ??

Is this guy an assWhole, or only a half? or a covert Duckie?

Reaction Score
Metro is one of those papers that's available for free on the street and ends up being what people step on getting on and off the T every morning. It barely qualifies as a newspaper. This is one of those articles designed to shock people and jin up their page views. Don't bite.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What time table have you put on the AAC leaping over the Big 12 in basketball? Give me the over/under on that 1 ok? What is the "near future"?
2 water balloons. Next year.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I won't click bait on the article but I have commented on here previously that this year reminds me of the St. John's season in 2011/12 when Lavin was still there when a bunch of players got kicked off the team, flunked out or transferred. They had to play walkons and had a miserable year and the program which seemed to be coming back never recovered. I think they only had six scholarship players. St. John's wasn't close to the program we've been but comparisons could be made at least based on this season. St. John's loses 12 or 13 games each year.

We have Gilbert, Larrier, Diarra, MAL, Polley and Carlton joining the team. The future is not nearly as grim as you're making it out to be.

pj

Reaction Score
Screw you Burke!

Burke has a history of articles with a negative slant toward UConn basketball. E.g. CSTV.com: #1 in College Sports:
Although Vaughn is only an assistant coach and your average Joe Uconn fan probably didn't even know who Vaughn was before now, it is a reminder to all that things are sometimes not as perfect as they seem around here.

In recent years former players Johnnie Selvie and Mike Hayes were arrested, literally months after they were celebrated in Gampel Pavilion for Senior ceremonies.

In Storrs, Conn., the sports landscape can sometimes seem larger than life. The athletes and coaches that people idolize around here seem like mystical characters to some, namely Connecticut children. But it takes only a small incident like Vaughn's to remind us that role models shouldn't always come from the Gampel hardwood.

There's also this tidbit of history (The Daily Campus - Sports):
The Daily Campus Sports Department was involved in two national stories during the 2002-2003 school year. The first, in November 2002, occurred when sports columnist Matt Burke wrote a column titled "Memorial's goalposts must go." The UConn football team was closing out their season with a game against Kent State and with a new, off campus, stadium opening next year Burke wrote "...I am imploring you, the student population, to tear down those goalposts at the conclusion of Saturday's football game, win or lose." UConn won the game, and when hundreds of students spilled on the field to take down the posts, police with attack dogs had encircled the goalposts. Students rushing the posts were pepper sprayed and beset by dogs. The one student to make it to the posts was handcuffed and taken into police custody. The violent incident made national headlines, and Burke's column, whether the impetus or not, was featured prominently, on shows such as ESPN's Pardon the Interruption.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
DraRE8Wh.jpg

Reaction Score
We lost to Belmont and Northeastern. That's reality. If we want to be big time, don't lose those games and go under .500.

Sit back, relax, because it's going to get worse. There is no way to combat these attacks except on the court and to bounce back next year.

I kind of agree with you. Hesitant to actually agree publicly, like on the boneyard, because of troll hunters like @upstater who goes from thread to thread commenting on everything. He's the worst kind of poster we have here. Thread to thread he just comments and disagrees with anyone who makes points like this. Again, I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I'm hesitant to agree because I don't want that clown @upstater to start logging tickets to the admins about people who think UConn is in a bad place as a program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom