Column: Matt Burke: UConn men's basketball is no longer 'big-time'

Discussion in 'UConn Men's Basketball' started by gwhuskyfan, Jan 11, 2017.

1. fleudslipcon

fleudslipcon We are still UConn!!

I thought the contract for the AAC is with ESPN and they sell some of their games to CBS. I doubt this game would be on the CBS network if UConn had started out strongly.

The Big East is hooked up with Fox Sports Network which is comparable to CBS Sports Network. Several teams in the AAC have hired decent coaches so I expect this conference to leap over the SEC and the Big 12 in the near future in basketball. As far as rivalries that's the major loss for UConn with conference realignment. Playing Georgetown, St. Johns, Syracuse, Providence, Boston College, Nova was a lot of fun. Distance kill rivalries without a doubt.

Totally disagree with you about your assessment of KO. We saw a significant improvement in play with Bazz, Boatright, Kromah, DD and Niels in the two years they played for KO. Jalen has improved significantly last year to this. Same with Kentan. It's too easy to not factor in the apr regarding KO's first years of recruiting. Nor to eliminate bad luck. I'm hoping for a full recovery in Gilbert and Durham. They can be special players. I'm hoping Rodney and Amida build on this last game. Rodney was consistently good the last third of last season. Amida has not demonstrated a long streak of playing consistently well/

The AAC has had teams in the top twenty in football the past few years. That is critical in separating the AAC from the remainder of the G5. BB only conferences have even less margin of error than the AAC conference.

2. James

James

we've been pretty much viewed the same since 2014, good program in an iffy conference. its not 'getting worst and worst'. Despite what asterisks you add, last year getting to the tourney and winning a game was a big deal. oh and KO is already zeroing in on a number of high end 2018 prospects, his ability to recruit isn't going anywhere. Are you preparing for him to miss out on guys in 2019 or 2020?

Can't believe this nobody matt burke is getting clicks/views from the pity party boneyarders that agree with him itt.

Tuna, EROCK CONN, David 76 and 5 others like this.
  3. fleudslipcon

Misery loves company.

EROCK CONN and David 76 like this.
  4. Tenspro2002

Tenspro2002

Do you think any 2018 recruit gives a s*** that we won the AACT last year?

They want to go to a program that's consistently drawing eyeballs and buzz. We, increasingly, are not.

But we'll see. The 2018 recruiting class needs to make a splash. A single top 20-40 guy and a bunch of question marks isn't going to cut it.

SouthBayHusky likes this.
  5. UConnDad

UConnDad

I must say that was our best game this year. My fellow fans and I were downright giddy!

fleudslipcon likes this.
  6. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

I think that recruits see UConn in a fairly different light than any of us Boneyard posters - especially pessimists who over-dramatize and exaggerate situations to the point of near neurosis.

mauconnfan, David 76, nomar and 4 others like this.
  7. NDakotaHusky

NDakotaHusky

I'm not saying a downward slope is inevitable. I'm saying it's possible. The notion that certain programs are immune isn't true.

8. UCweCONN

UCweCONN Let's do this!

I won't click bait on the article but I have commented on here previously that this year reminds me of the St. John's season in 2011/12 when Lavin was still there when a bunch of players got kicked off the team, flunked out or transferred. They had to play walkons and had a miserable year and the program which seemed to be coming back never recovered. I think they only had six scholarship players. St. John's wasn't close to the program we've been but comparisons could be made at least based on this season. St. John's loses 12 or 13 games each year.

9. champs99and04

champs99and04

Now this is a discussion we haven't had before.

@Brochacho it is interesting that you bring up UNC (well, I guess somebody else brought it up first). Your point is well made, but there might be more common ground there than you think; Harrison Barnes was really their last big time recruit, and the 2013, '14, and '15 seasons - during which they only won four tournament games and were never considered a legitimate contender - evoked much panic among UNC fans. Kids like Jackson, Meeks, Berry, etc. weren't exactly scrubs, but the North Carolina brand had lost some cache and been supplanted by Duke, Kentucky, and even Kansas as a destination for top ten players.

Certainly, there is no equivalency there - North Carolina, even during those three years, was nationally relevant, and there is no comparison between them and UConn as far as history and tradition go. It does reflect, though, how college basketball - especially in the one and done era - is cyclical. The Hairston/Tokoto class was a bit of a whiff, relatively speaking, and because they couldn't beat Kentucky or Duke on the trail, it took them a coupe years to return to dominance.

The same could have been said of 'Nova a few years prior, and they're probably a more attainable model. The Brimah/Purvis/Facey class hasn't worked out, but that happens, even at the best programs, and there is typically a lag period between when poor play starts at a program and when it starts to be recognized by recruits. We've got at least another couple years before we reach that point, IMO.

The one disclaimer that I think is necessary is that I do not expect UConn to ever be as good, at large, as they were under Calhoun. That's just basic probability, though. You're not supposed to lose one of the greats ever and remain at the same level, and if we did - which is possible - we would be the exception and not the rule. All you can ask of Ollie at this point is that he keep us in the mix, and given the level of parity in college basketball, there is no reason to think he will not do that.

Brochacho, nomar and intlzncster like this.
  10. fleudslipcon

I think KO is closer to being pulled into the NBA than being a coach who keeps UConn in the mix.

11. UCweCONN

UCweCONN Let's do this!

To be fair, a UNC 'slide' still involves making the NCAA tourney and winning a game or two each year. Guthridge was considered unsuccessful and he went to two Final Fours and a title game in his four years. Give me that slide for us any day of the week.

HuskyHawk likes this.
  12. zls44

zls44 Your #icebus Tour Director

1. CBSSN picks the games before the season starts.
    2. They pick as many UConn games as they can because its the only big name draw in the conference.

13. BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

And then Matt Doherty was an unmitigated disaster. If it happens at Carolina, it can happen anywhere.

EROCK CONN, mauconnfan and nomar like this.
  14. BLUEDOGHOUSE

BLUEDOGHOUSE

What time table have you put on the AAC leaping over the Big 12 in basketball? Give me the over/under on that 1 ok? What is the "near future"?

15. joober jones

joober jones Finally Non-Fat Guy

The article fails to impress.

16. sledog

sledog

'We' ??

Is this guy an assWhole, or only a half? or a covert Duckie?

17. SouthBayHusky

SouthBayHusky

One of my pet peeves too. Worn out and dated is not exactly the symbolism our program needs.

HuskyHawk likes this.
  18. Kemba'sYogurt

Kemba'sYogurt

19. brasssbonanzaa

brasssbonanzaa

Metro is one of those papers that's available for free on the street and ends up being what people step on getting on and off the T every morning. It barely qualifies as a newspaper. This is one of those articles designed to shock people and jin up their page views. Don't bite.

20. fleudslipcon

2 water balloons. Next year.

21. Bryan Lord

Bryan Lord

Trump would call this "fake news" and "a steaming pile of garbage".

Didn't read the thread, hope I didn't recycle this joke.

22. elmcityboy

elmcityboy

**** this clown. they played a big-time game tonight.

23. TheChamps990411

TheChamps990411

Screw you Burke!

24. nomar

nomar

We have Gilbert, Larrier, Diarra, MAL, Polley and Carlton joining the team. The future is not nearly as grim as you're making it out to be.

mauconnfan likes this.
  25. pj

pj

Burke has a history of articles with a negative slant toward UConn basketball. E.g. CSTV.com: #1 in College Sports:
    There's also this tidbit of history (The Daily Campus - Sports):

mauconnfan likes this.
  26. Rstoney

Rstoney New Member

No, they were very average from 01-08..other than 04

27. UConnSwag11

UConnSwag11 Storrs, CT The Mecca

28. 4in16

4in16 uses the force

Ok?

29. UofCT2009

UofCT2009

I kind of agree with you. Hesitant to actually agree publicly, like on the boneyard, because of troll hunters like @upstater who goes from thread to thread commenting on everything. He's the worst kind of poster we have here. Thread to thread he just comments and disagrees with anyone who makes points like this. Again, I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I'm hesitant to agree because I don't want that clown @upstater to start logging tickets to the admins about people who think UConn is in a bad place as a program.