College Football Playoff To 12 Teams | The Boneyard

College Football Playoff To 12 Teams

Reaction Score
Did not see this coming. BIG and SEC maxing out at 16 now? Other conferences will be relevant.

Reaction Score
Did not see this coming. BIG and SEC maxing out at 16 now? Other conferences will be relevant.
Now that I think about it more, they maybe just will just change it again when the P2 get powerful. Bottom line -- too early to predict the effect on realignment.

Reaction Score
Selfishly I would have a 25-40 team playoff.

Reaction Score
What this does is open up the opportunity for other conferences. if a MAC or MWC has a champion that is one of the top 6 ranked champions, they get in. How many times would the American Champ have gotten in as one of the top 6 conference champs? This allows recruiting to pick up for lesser schools. A player may have an easier time getting into the playoff at Memphis or Boise St. than Penn St. this is HUGE. Of course….we’re not in a conference any longer, but….this is a big step forward for parity in college football. (You still have the P2 with all the $, but this is a breath of fresh air for all other programs…)

Reaction Score
What this does is open up the opportunity for other conferences. if a MAC or MWC has a champion that is one of the top 6 ranked champions, they get in. How many times would the American Champ have gotten in as one of the top 6 conference champs? This allows recruiting to pick up for lesser schools. A player may have an easier time getting into the playoff at Memphis or Boise St. than Penn St. this is HUGE. Of course….we’re not in a conference any longer, but….this is a big step forward for parity in college football. (You still have the P2 with all the $, but this is a breath of fresh air for all other programs…)
It's still pretty much only going to be 1 G5 champion getting in every year. Though those conferences should have a much better chance since the AAC teams that have been dominating are moving to the P5

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's still pretty much only going to be 1 G5 champion getting in every year. Though those conferences should have a much better chance since the AAC teams that have been dominating are moving to the P5

It is worth reminding everyone that the SEC has dominated football because it was willing to cheat at a level other conferences were not. NIL balanced that playing field somewhat, and now giving 12 bids to the playoffs balances it even more. Why sit at Alabama when you can start, and have a shot at the playoffs, at Baylor or Cincinnati or Oregon?

Reaction Score
But now I’m there is a route for all FBS programs to the playoffs, and yes, a national championship. Yes, it’s less than an Ivy winning the NCAA hoop championship, but its not zero any more. That’s big.

Reaction Score
Point 3 states that the 4 highest ranked conference champs get seeded 1-4. Expect Notre Dame to join a conference.

Reaction Score
if you had a dream of being in the ACC or the B1G then that dream is dead today.

Reaction Score
I really see no reason for 12 because I don't like anyone getting a bye in a tournament. But I am okay with the top six conference champions and then maybe the next two highest ranked teams. Eight is fine and it could allow some of the other bowl games to survive. But they feel like more teams means more money so that's the direction they go. An unbalanced tournament. But it does give chances to some other conferences so not all bad. At least for now.

Reaction Score
The current plan is for 6 conference champions to make the CFP. I think the reason they went this way is they didn't want a new format for the CFP to blow up the Pac 12 and Big 12. They will let the media companies determine the fate of the Pac 12 and Big 12.

Reaction Score
Point 3 states that the 4 highest ranked conference champs get seeded 1-4. Expect Notre Dame to join a conference.
Their main concern all along was access. Their access as an Independent is preserved. So they don’t get a chance to receive a bye but they can host a playoff game on campus if ranked high enough. Remember - Swarbrick was on the original committee that came up w/ this exact scenario.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom