Cochran is the starter | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Cochran is the starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A lot of posters are assuming it is a disappointed for CW at not being named the starter. I have no inside info .... but I always viewed CW coming back as an opportunity to improve the team, improve the QB's, and improve CW's chances of being a quasi assistant coach. Almost a David Woodley/Don Strock relationship. CW gets another year of playing football, a great opportunity to play, and a great opportunity to be on the other side of the chalk board while building his resume for a future in sports or business.

At best CW is the starting QB ... at worst he helps push and create a very good starting QB and improves the team .... CW can't lose.

Reaction Score
Oh ffs, come off it. Nobody ever quit in your generation? Please. Y'all have such an inflated sense of toughness. Every generation thinks the youngest generation is wrong/immature/whatever. So tired of hearing old folks think the young whippersnappers are all a bunch of pansies who think they're special.

The idea that Whitmer almost quitting football is proof of anything about a whole generation of kids has to be one of the most laughable conclusions I've ever seen anybody draw on the Boneyard.

But I digress...

I'll take that a step further. I hate quitters. By that I mean those who quit on themselves first, their teammates second. If Whitmer had quit he wouldn't have been quitting so much as jumping off a train wreck he had no control over. It's one thing to quit on yourself and quite another to abandon poor leadership when mutiny is not an option.

That said, rotating QB's makes me nervous because of timing issues. Too many bobbled snaps and confused recievers.

Reaction Score
Is this the first we're hearing of CW "clashing" with last year's staff, or is it just something I missed?
Cant' say for certain. Just little threads I picked up over time. I am confident there was a very unhealthy culture there with GDL the chief perpetrator of misery and head games. I think PP was willfully oblivious. GDL was brutal on tight ends and lineman and that stuff spreads around like cancer.

I also think the die was cast as early as 2012 against Syracuse. The kid was getting his clocked cleaned unmercifully at Syracuse, you had ask yourself what the hell were they trying to do to the kid. He's lucky he didn't get seriously hurt. He clearly had taken some shots to the head.
As quoted in post game in Syracuse.com article "The pass rush was relentless. I can't believe UConn QB Chandler Whitmer walked out of the Carrier Dome alive." They just kept him in there. Even if you are warrior, I think you realize at that point, the staff doesn't give a crap about you.

All just retrospective speculation. Maybe CW is just relieved that there is a guy who really seems to care about him in a positive way.

Reaction Score
I vividly remember several of the shots Whitmer took in that game bluedog. It wasn't the only time he did it. He got planted in one the Temple games in such fashion that I was sure he wouldn't find the huddle after standing up. He did. The kid is as tough as the come, when it comes to playing the position on the field, and I'm glad to have him in the back up role. I am confident, that the way things have worked out, if he is called upon to lead this team, he will be ready.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Agreed, the millennials tend to have inflated self images, and are easily hurt. Years of schools/parents downplaying competition, downplaying grades, and replacing the concept of winners and losers with "everybody wins" has lead to this. That Whitmer almost quit shows it. I think HCBD is teaching them to be men, while trying to ensure that they both remain confident. He needs Whitmer to be ready if he's going to get through the season without burning Boyle's redshirt. I see this move about protecting Boyle by making sure Whitmer can do the job if Cochran is hurt or falters.

The last I checked the baby boomers just needed a high school degree and a pulse to get a job with a pension. Now it is a war just to get into a reputable college. And even then a bachelors is not enough and a Masters MIGHT get you a 401k match. So please spare us the 'millenials are afraid to compete' crap. We have been competing since pre-school.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can't agree with you CL82. After watching the videos, I believe the players have totally bought in to the team concept which Coach Diaco professes. I think this is the only approach that offers the Huskies a better than average return on investment. I think the coaches buy into this philosophy as well. The incoming recruits are buying in also which is why I think the only direction here is up.

We have seen this with JC and GA and KO as well. I'm pumped about what is coming up. We're really going to enjoy this season.
I don't disagree with you, Dogged. I think both guys buy into the team concept. I read the body language as stressed but I don't think it is more than that.

Reaction Score
I never heard of Wesley Willis.

I thought Rock-n-Roll McDonald's, Elvis Presley, the Chicken Cow, and I Whooped Batmans A " were the names of different mullet styles.

Reaction Score
Loved this one.

On a more football note, I assume everyone would have preferred to have one QB clearly separate themselves from the others, it seems like that didn't happen which begs the question - would you prefer that your coach pretended someone did separate themselves and go whole hog with that guy or would you prefer what HCBD did?
Great point, obviously the later . Coach D is going to be a legendary coach. We are blessed to have him at UCONN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom