Coaching Search Tweets & More | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Coaching Search Tweets & More

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I am now sufficiently satisfied that the candidate pool does not consist of the hobos and squatters we saw when Hathaway was running the show. I don't want to hear the remaining feigns, spurns, and sad pleadings of the hiring dance. The next thing I want to hear from the Horde is Warde's announcement. Let the man work.

Reaction Score
Saw this on the Wake Forest board:

Ball State bloggers are reporting that we lowballed Lembo and he rejected the offer. It sounds like this is officially the 2nd coaching search in a row that Ron has screwed up?

MfDeacs99 wrote: Lembo's issue is not money. He wants more leeway on recruiting higher risk players Grove got one of these a year. Lembo wants more. Apparently we have not been able to bridge the gap. He is interviewing with uconn today

And clawson does have an offer from Boise state.

I'm still furious about the Bzdelik process, but how can you assume anything yet from this one? "Lowballing" could mean any number of figures. If Lembo wanted what Grobe was making or close to it, even 1.5 million could be construed as "lowballing" We aren't in a position to pay what Grobe was making and quite frankly Lembo doesn't merit that despite how good he looks on paper.

i do know that they wanted to have a presser today to announce a coach (though I did not which one of the two). Sounds like work still needs to be done. Wake is definitely a better job than UCONN and I believe a better job than Boise St. unless these guys have no interest in being here anywhere close to long term. Time to interview Narduzzi, etc

Reaction Score
Saw this on the Wake Forest board:

Ball State bloggers are reporting that we lowballed Lembo and he rejected the offer. It sounds like this is officially the 2nd coaching search in a row that Ron has screwed up?

MfDeacs99 wrote: Lembo's issue is not money. He wants more leeway on recruiting higher risk players Grove got one of these a year. Lembo wants more. Apparently we have not been able to bridge the gap. He is interviewing with uconn today

And clawson does have an offer from Boise state.

I'm still furious about the Bzdelik process, but how can you assume anything yet from this one? "Lowballing" could mean any number of figures. If Lembo wanted what Grobe was making or close to it, even 1.5 million could be construed as "lowballing" We aren't in a position to pay what Grobe was making and quite frankly Lembo doesn't merit that despite how good he looks on paper.

i do know that they wanted to have a presser today to announce a coach (though I did not which one of the two). Sounds like work still needs to be done. Wake is definitely a better job than UCONN and I believe a better job than Boise St. unless these guys have no interest in being here anywhere close to long term. Time to interview Narduzzi, etc
If they don't have the money to pay what Grobe was making ($2.5 Million/Yr) or even $2.0 Million/Yr there is NO WAY they will get Pat Narduzzi if we end up going head to head in a bidding war.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I think wake fans are clueless on how much money we can pay. On twitter there were so many of them saying that wake could outpay us. Doubtful

Reaction Score
From another Wake Forest board:

word is that Wellman's offer of $1.1 was considered a low-ball offer.
One one hand that is about an $800K raise over what Lembo is currently making but on the flip side of that- Lembo probably wants to make in the neighborhood of $2 mil when he jumps to a major conference (which Wake was not going to pay)
I don't know about anyone else on the board but i have never been rewarded with an $800K raise.......Wellman probably needed to be in the neighborhood of $1.5 guarenteed money to get Lembo and i doubt he is there.
I tend to subscribe to the pigs get fat, hoggs get slughtered mantra myself....
The wild card in all of this is how much money does Wake need to have in order to break ground on the new locker rooms, upgraded weight room, etc. that Wake has said they are going to make happen.
This post was edited by deacons1080 on 12/9/2013 at 1:02 PM

Reaction Score
Dare I say I'm actually impressed with Warde right now. After we got stuck in this bush league conference I never thought I'd say that, but quotes like this:

"The list of potential candidates is an indication that Manuel can attract the best, with Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi expected to be among the first to make the trip to Storrs, as manuel won’t be recruiting by proxy. “I want to see somebody’s face”, he said, “This is not a drive by interview.”

and

“I’m well aware of the jobs that are open”, he said, “And I’m well aware of the other places people might be interested in that are in my pool of candidates. I’m not interested in playing back and forth with people, you have a choice, here’s what I have to offer.”

Are pretty great!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
And people think that Wake is a better job than UCONN. They are offering a few pennies over $1M/yr and still needs to raise money to break ground on new facilities. We can offer double the salary and have the facilities already in place.

Just so everyone remembers: friggin' Wake is grandfathered into a P5 conference and we are stuck in AAC purgatory. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
The one guy Pat Narduzzi needs to take a LONG HARD look at is Clemson DC Brent Venables when deciding whether to take or not take a HC job. My original list of candidates for this job was Narduzzi, Venables, Chad Morris, kick the tires on Kirby Smart...names like that. Brent Venables was once where Narduzzi is as DC at Oklahoma. He pulled out of searches at his Alma mater KSU, Miami and one other school I can't remember while looking for the "perfect" job. Bob Stoops made similar comments to Dantonio about finding the right place for Brent to take his first HC job. Well fast forward almost 4 season now and Venables moved on to Clemson to try and improve his shot at a HC job. While I was high on him originally...after seeing his D wilt in most of Clemsons big games this year he quickly moved off my list. You have to strike out on your own while the iron is hot...or risk becoming the next Brent Venables...that one time hotshot HC prospect who completely missed the HC bus!

Reaction Score
The more I think about this, the more I wonder why we want HCs out tier 2 schools. Unless its Narduzzi or somebody with legit big time experience at a BCS school, I don't see any benefit in doing anything other than going with the most motivated, proven quantity right in front if our eyes. I'm in for TJ, unless we get somebody remarkable. MAC doesn't cut it.

Reaction Score
Michigan State's Mark Hollis says he's in 'very good position' to try to retain Pat Narduzzi, staff continuity

Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi is a candidate for the Connecticut head coaching job, but athletic director Mark Hollis told Sirius XM on Monday he is prepared to do what he can to keep the leader of the nation's No. 1-ranked defense as the Spartans head to the Rose Bowl.
"There's no doubt this is a market-driven profession, and athletic directors are in positions to create resources in order to ensure that continuity's in place, and that's my role here," Hollis told Sirius XM on Monday. "So that's what I'm trying to put together right now. We're at a very good position to do so.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/12/michigan_states_mark_hollis_sa.html#incart_river

Reaction Score
Michigan State's Mark Hollis says he's in 'very good position' to try to retain Pat Narduzzi, staff continuity

Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi is a candidate for the Connecticut head coaching job, but athletic director Mark Hollis told Sirius XM on Monday he is prepared to do what he can to keep the leader of the nation's No. 1-ranked defense as the Spartans head to the Rose Bowl.
"There's no doubt this is a market-driven profession, and athletic directors are in positions to create resources in order to ensure that continuity's in place, and that's my role here," Hollis told Sirius XM on Monday. "So that's what I'm trying to put together right now. We're at a very good position to do so.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/12/michigan_states_mark_hollis_sa.html#incart_river

I would love to see how Hollis is going to pay Narduzzi $1.2 million/yr and make him HCIW..give Dantonio a raise to $3 million/yr, and then give the rest of the staff a raise...while raising money to complete the North Endzone project at their stadium...whether it is at UCONN or somewhere else he needs to let Narduzzi go be a head coach. Now I am sure some of what he is saying is posturing to try and satisfy his fan base...but if he is serious he needs a check-up from the neck-up because the last I knew MSU was the poor little brother to our AD's alma mater and even UM AD Dave Brandon wouldn't throw that kind of $$ around.

Reaction Score
I think either your memory has faded or Gray must have been joking as Hartford was awful in basketball in the early 80s:

79/80: 6-21
80/81: 9-16
81/82: 8-20
82/83: 9-18
83/84: 12-15
84/85: 7-21
85/86: 12-16

Nah...memory hasn't faded and Gray wasn't joking! That's the whole point...Gray had an off-the-wall idea and thought he was going to be out in front of the crowd with this one. You're right about the fact that Hartford was NOT good...but they were marketing themselves as a program on the rise... and he bought in. UConn wasn't doing well and in his infinite wisdom, HE thought it was time for a change. Instead we went out, got an up and coming future HOF coach to come in...and great success followed. Meanwhile, Scott Gray and his Hartford Hawks to the BE idea are what faded. ;)

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs‏@jacobscourant2h
While we wait to see if Narduzzi is brought to a full boil with UConn, strong piece in USA Today from Oct. 31.http://usat.ly/18j57CB

Dooley

Reaction Score
Anyone else get the impression that Hollis is trying to bully around UCONN by throwing out the resources talk? I really don't think people around the country realize that UCONN can pay. I think most think UCONN is planning offering MAC level coaching salary ($500K-$1M/yr range). We aren't Wake for cryin' out loud, squabbling over $1.1M/yr offers for our top candidate.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Last question: (Silver mentioned it in his SNY article and I thought the same thing) is anyone else surprised that a dark horse name hasn't emerged yet?

Reaction Score
Last question: (Silver mentioned it in his SNY article and I thought the same thing) is anyone else surprised that a dark horse name hasn't emerged yet?
Yes and no...I guess you could say Diaco is a dark horse...as we never saw his name mentioned until the interview list started to filter out through the press. I still believe Clawson is in play for us...the author of the tweet stating he was out of consideration has not been right on one thing the past week about who is or isn't in contention for the job.

Reaction Score
Desmond Connor wrote that Narduzzi is a candidate for the Wake Forest job. He seems to be the only one saying that.

Clawson has interviewed at Wake Forest and reportedly is strongly being considered for that job, in which Narduzzi and Ball State coach Pete Lembo also are candidates.
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-1210-20131209,0,5465878.story
It's pretty easy to see where Dez is getting his "source" info on the Wake job. He is reading tweets from Football Rumor Mill, Football Scoop, Coachingsearch.com, and SB nation pages. Wake low balled Lembo...what makes you think they will not do it to both Clawson and Narduzzi. In a bidding war we will blow Wake out of the water.

Reaction Score
I am amongst those who think we'll get Narduzzi, no problem. He has to know what kind of legacy he can leave in the state where he was born. We have players fenced in to a good degree, why not coaches?

The fact that Hollis is going nuts is a strong sign they won't be able to keep him. Why would he not leave for UConn when he could have left for Cincinnati? Then, we might start beating Cincinnati.

Having a defensive-minded coach is actually good for us in the AAC. The schools we are playing against recruit from hotbeds and lure in very good offensive talent. Defense has been our tradition, too. Just speaking my head.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Desmond Connor wrote that Narduzzi is a candidate for the Wake Forest job. He seems to be the only one saying that.

Clawson has interviewed at Wake Forest and reportedly is strongly being considered for that job, in which Narduzzi and Ball State coach Pete Lembo also are candidates.
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-1210-20131209,0,5465878.story

If Narduzzi accepts the Wake job, then he has lost his mind and I'll be glad we didn't get him.

If there is even interest from Wake, which I doubt, then it is being fabricated by Narduzzi's agent.

Reaction Score
Spencer D. Turkin‏@Turkin353 Dec
#MSU DC Narduzzi is behind the 8 ball for #Wake job because of no HC experience.

Spencer D. Turkin‏@Turkin353 Dec
#Source #ballstate HFC Pete Lembo is the front-runner for the #WAKE Football HC job. #Deacs prefer HC experience for hire.

Spencer D. Turkin
@Turkin35
Sports Director @ESPNTriad and @600WSJS Play-By-Play Announcer for the @ESPNTriad Game of the Week Studio Host @IMGCollege Proud #ILLINI
Winston-Salem, NC · triadsports.com

Reaction Score
If Narduzzi accepts the Wake job, then he has lost his mind and I'll be glad we didn't get him.

If there is even interest from Wake, which I doubt, then it is being fabricated by Narduzzi's agent.
Dez has zero credibility. Has he ever come out and said he was wrong about the lack of talent card he kept playing?

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
Clawson offered Wake job according to Bruce Feldman on twitter (edit: beaten to it, see above)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom