Coaching Search Tweets & More | Page 35 | The Boneyard

Coaching Search Tweets & More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't see Texas forcing Brown out the door without a very clear and executable plan. Part of that plan is not, in my mind, hiring a Coordinator with no HC experience at any level. Too much to lose for them as the anchor of the Big 12.

I think the poster was implying that if Texas hires away Strong, UConn could be competing with Louisville for Narduzzi, etc.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You need to manage expectations. You can't have your people telling nathan that Susan wants a coach from the Top 25 as one example. You can"leak"/plant stories about how great others inteviewed, or even deny you interviewed them at all. leak a story that you had lunch with Kelly, or actually do it. There are a million ways a competent CEO would use to downplay the expectations so if you land Narduzzi you're a hero and if you fail you got the best guy.

I'm not naive, and I realize " leaks" happen, but a second hand story based on what someone claims they heard reported by Kevin Nathan of all people?

Look, I'm not a huge Warde guy, I love a good donut joke as much as the next guy, but this is what his UConn legacy will be.

He's the man in charge and it seems like he's handing his business.

Let's wait and see before using second rate CT media and Twitter as " sources“ for WM leaks.

Reaction Score
Regarding WM, I think it's too early for postmortems. . .

(Let's give it 2 more hours—just kidding)

Reaction Score
Here's the thing...I sort of think that Warde has let this get out of hand. Unless he lands Narduzzi, many will see this as a failed effort. And the problem he let get created is that he almost has to land Narduzzi even if he thinks someone else is a better option for UConn. He allowed a Narduzzi or nobody expectation to be developed, when he doesn't have that level of control. Hope he succeeds and that he gets the right guy.

The only Narduzzi crowd that see Narduzzi or fail, is the BY. He is in position to turn this job down and no one would be surprised. Getting him would be a coup, not an expected result.

Shame on Warde for letting the BY get out of hand.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'd don't think so. The problem is fans are much more active and involved through social media and the web provides us with same info that they have. The hardcore are relatively intelligent and formulate their own assessments. The days of old where the AD makes decision and everyone falls in line are over. There is a reasoned analysis why Narduzzi is the logical pick, and the other candidates really don't offer anything that great compared to what TJ offers (I know others disagree), but that is why it has boiled down to Narduzzi.

As much as I think he is a lousy AD way over his head, there is nothing Warde could say or do dissuade consensus building from the peanut gallery.

The day an AD, coach, or GM takes what the fans say into account on personnel matters, that GM, coach, or AD should be fired and counted among them fans him/herself. Fans don't have the foggiest idea of how the process works. We have our preference and we spout them off on message boards and Twitter, but we only see what we are allowed to see.

Let the process play out. Fans have zero concrete reason to believe Warde Manuel is not up the task. Already this process is light years ahead of that one from January 2011 and UConn doesn't even have a coach yet!!!.

Reaction Score
I think the poster was implying that if Texas hires away Strong, UConn could be competing with Louisville for Narduzzi, etc.

Strong is not a good fit at Texas. If Saban, Fisher, or Harbaugh aren't the guy then they would hire a guy with strong Texas tries. Patterson of TCU and Briles of Baylor would be very good fits.

Reaction Score
You don't make an offer until you interview all of your top choices. Warde takes his time and is methodical.

Inevitably, you have a sense of how your choices rank before you even start interviewing. If you think you've already seen the best guy, you offer him and nab him before he gets away.

If we want Narduzzi to show us commitment by accepting quick, we need to show him commitment by offering quick. Note - this could have already happened - I would hope that using an executive search group means taht our offer will only leak if it is accepted.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You need to manage expectations. You can't have your people telling nathan that Susan wants a coach from the Top 25 as one example. You can"leak"/plant stories about how great others inteviewed, or even deny you interviewed them at all. leak a story that you had lunch with Kelly, or actually do it. There are a million ways a competent CEO would use to downplay the expectations so if you land Narduzzi you're a hero and if you fail you got the best guy.
That's a tad unreasonable isn't it? Know how a rumor starts?

FREESCOOTER HAS SMALL EARS!!!

Now all I need is for sportsart, Zoo, etc. to reply or repeat it and there you go...A rumor. It is irresponsible for Manuel to address all the rumors.

Reaction Score
Strong is not a good fit at Texas. If Saban, Fisher, or Harbaugh aren't the guy then they would hire a guy with strong Texas tries. Patterson of TCU and Briles of Baylor would be very good fits.

I don't disagree, but the point I was making is that some potential replacements could create vacancies that compete with UCONN, i.e., TCU and Baylor. (And that the poster wasn't suggesting Narduzzi to Texas.)

Reaction Score
Inevitably, you have a sense of how your choices rank before you even start interviewing. If you think you've already seen the best guy, you offer him and nab him before he gets away.

If we want Narduzzi to show us commitment by accepting quick, we need to show him commitment by offering quick. Note - this could have already happened - I would hope that using an executive search group means taht our offer will only leak if it is accepted.

I'm making a bold prediction. If Narduzzi is the next coach at UConn, it will be leaked by tomorrow and announced by Friday with a press conference on Friday as well.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
BAD news

@footballscoop 1m
At UConn, sources tell us Pat Narduzzi declined an offer this morning to become head coach at UConn. Details> http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Reaction Score
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Lembo has one win over a top 25 team in his career, against #23 Toledo last year, and then lost in the damn Beef O' Brady's bowl. His "signature" win this year was against Virginia.

This is the objectively better candidate? I haven't even heard a compelling argument for why he's a better choice than Weist, let alone Narduzzi.

He has as many Top 25 wins at a MAC School as Edsall had here. He's a better choice than Weist on paper because he is a proven winner at multiple places.

Reaction Score
I would hope that using an executive search group means taht our offer will only leak if it is accepted.

I think you're right on this point Sean. I'm confident that Warde is handling this the "right" way. He's proceeding through his list of interviewees, then will make an offer to his top choice. The search firm will do it's best to make sure nothing leaks regarding an offer, or a response of "no thanks", as best it can. Their job is to save face for both sides and make it as professional as possible. The only leaks we'll hear are those which are intended. Otherwise, we're not likely to hear anything more until there is an agreement.

Reaction Score
Football scoop says that the $$ for assistants wasn't as robust as hoped for.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think you're right on this point Sean. I'm confident that Warde is handling this the "right" way. He's proceeding through his list of interviewees, then will make an offer to his top choice. The search firm will do it's best to make sure nothing leaks regarding an offer, or a response of "no thanks", as best it can. Their job is to save face for both sides and make it as professional as possible. The only leaks we'll hear are those which are intended. Otherwise, we're not likely to hear anything more until there is an agreement.
2Infinity gets the award for worst timed post of the year... :(

Reaction Score
So if that's true, we couldn't get him because of a MONEY issue?

So much for pulling out all the stops, I guess.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score

UGH. Starting to hate college football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads