Cinncinnati Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cinncinnati Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Highly debatable whether she was still moving, but it's a misconception that the defender has to be stationary. She only has to beat her to the spot, which she did. This is a charge every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

You are correct. I may have confused it with the second foul.

Reaction Score
Squeaks is a person you can count on in a pinch...the whole team knows that. She just isn’t all about herself...
Her play this season doesn’t substantiate your opinion. In a pinch, I would much rather have the two Freshmen on the floor.

Reaction Score
Her play this season doesn’t substantiate your opinion. In a pinch, I would much rather have the two Freshmen on the floor.
CW has a much higher ceiling. Thought she broke out of her shooting slump, but it came back against Cincy. I thought both she and Meg had a lot of bad passes. I see it as playing too fast. Fine line between playing aggressively and getting out of control. Kyla has the opposite problem. She passed up at least a half dozen shots, in some cases to force bad passes. Pretty sure Geno is ok with shooting from 10’ when you’re open.

Reaction Score
Beg to differ, but on the first foul the defender was still moving. I was 20 feet away.

I think you should go back and look at it again. It was an obvious offensive foul.

Reaction Score
I think you should go back and look at it again. It was an obvious offensive foul.
I have already stated that I was wrong about the first foul. I was confusing it with the second one.

Reaction Score
CW has a much higher ceiling. Thought she broke out of her shooting slump, but it came back against Cincy. I thought both she and Meg had a lot of bad passes. I see it as playing too fast. Fine line between playing aggressively and getting out of control. Kyla has the opposite problem. She passed up at least a half dozen shots, in some cases to force bad passes. Pretty sure Geno is ok with shooting from 10’ when you’re open.
I would totally disagree. Makurat has a much higher ceiling, in my opinion, and everyone I talked to at the game agreed. Ceiling, though, has nothing to do with a game in three days. Right now, both Makurat and Griffin are playing better and are both much better defensively. Against Oregon, we can’t hide a subpar defender.
Of course, my point is totally moot. Geno is not going to cut Williams’ minutes.

Reaction Score
I would totally disagree. Makurat has a much higher ceiling, in my opinion, and everyone I talked to at the game agreed. Ceiling, though, has nothing to do with a game in three days. Right now, both Makurat and Griffin are playing better and are both much better defensively. Against Oregon, we can’t hide a subpar defender.
Of course, my point is totally moot. Geno is not going to cut Williams’ minutes.

I'm with uconnfan68 but don't agree or disagree regarding "ceiling" over next 3 years. DOn't really care bout it 3 years from now. But I totally disagree with everything you've said other than that. Everything. I love both Anna and Aubrey- they are among my top 3 favorite players. But what makes Geno different than Pat Summit, Viv Stringer, and in some ways Kim Mulkey? He loves a beautiful free-flowing offense. You are talking "defense" vs Oregon. That's wrong by mentioning Aubrey vs CWill. How often have you seen an offense of Aubrey and Liv work? It doesn't. UCONN can't score enough with that lineup and if you think that Aubrey and Liv' defense will be huge in shutting down an experienced Oregon offense- I think that philosophy is old school and not the UCONN way and it won't work. You have to score enough. And you are over-exaggerating CW's defense especially vs AM. Further, in regards to scoring, do you recall a few years ago when UCONN played South Carolina? The 1st time game they played with Dawn as the coach? During the game, Lobo declared that despite how physical SC was, she said they had no shot to beat UCONN because SC couldn't score enough. She was right. They had too many limited offensive players. Heck, we've seen Aubrey get too nervous to take 6-7 foot shots. AUbrey and Liv can't score enough vs a team like Oregon other than to play a few minutes here or there or unless the perimeter game is hot. .

As for AM -- I've read some posters complaining about AM only taking 5 shots? But she isn't a scorer. I think there are some misnomers here. Just because a player is tall and athletic or tall and a good shooter doesn't t make them a definite scorer. You need a mentality. On offense the only thing Aubrey is comfortable doing is offensive rebounding. But she has no shot outside of near the basket. She loses confidence easily in her shot. Similar with AM - in that you really think Geno is telling her not to shoot? She handles the ball quite a bit. She has a nice shot. So if she is handling the ball quite a bit, has a nice shot, and is tall for a wing, why doesn't she shoot more? Because as a freshman she is not comfortable as a scorer. Instead, we can see she has the mentality to be a terrific/confident aggressive passer. And she'll handle the ball well even with a defender tight on her. But she doesn't have the scorers mentality. It's not going to rise up in her frosh year vs the elite teams with more experience just because Geno says so. Instead, she is doing what a frosh should-- play to her comfort zone which is passing and ball-handling. She needs to feed scorers at this point in her career and play off of them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm with uconnfan68 but don't agree or disagree regarding "ceiling" over next 3 years. DOn't really care bout it 3 years from now. But I totally disagree with everything you've said other than that. Everything. I love both Anna and Aubrey- they are among my top 3 favorite players. But what makes Geno different than Pat Summit, Viv Stringer, and in some ways Kim Mulkey? He loves a beautiful free-flowing offense. You are talking "defense" vs Oregon. That's wrong by mentioning Aubrey vs CWill. How often have you seen an offense of Aubrey and Liv work? It doesn't. UCONN can't score enough with that lineup and if you think that Aubrey and Liv' defense will be huge in shutting down an experienced Oregon offense- I think that philosophy is old school and not the UCONN way and it won't work. You have to score enough. And you are over-exaggerating CW's defense especially vs AM. Further, in regards to scoring, do you recall a few years ago when UCONN played South Carolina? The 1st time game they played with Dawn as the coach? During the game, Lobo declared that despite how physical SC was, she said they had no shot to beat UCONN because SC couldn't score enough. She was right. They had too many limited offensive players. Heck, we've seen Aubrey get too nervous to take 6-7 foot shots. AUbrey and Liv can't score enough vs a team like Oregon other than to play a few minutes here or there or unless the perimeter game is hot. .

As for AM -- I've read some posters complaining about AM only taking 5 shots? But she isn't a scorer. I think there are some misnomers here. Just because a player is tall and athletic or tall and a good shooter doesn't t make them a definite scorer. You need a mentality. On offense the only thing Aubrey is comfortable doing is offensive rebounding. But she has no shot outside of near the basket. She loses confidence easily in her shot. Similar with AM - in that you really think Geno is telling her not to shoot? She handles the ball quite a bit. She has a nice shot. So if she is handling the ball quite a bit, has a nice shot, and is tall for a wing, why doesn't she shoot more? Because as a freshman she is not comfortable as a scorer. Instead, we can see she has the mentality to be a terrific/confident aggressive passer. And she'll handle the ball well even with a defender tight on her. But she doesn't have the scorers mentality. It's not going to rise up in her frosh year vs the elite teams with more experience just because Geno says so. Instead, she is doing what a frosh should-- play to her comfort zone which is passing and ball-handling. She needs to feed scorers at this point in her career and play off of them.
I would disagree that AM is not a scorer. Geno has said that she’s a scorer and shooter from her playing days in Poland. Whether she can consistently score for us is a question this year. I do like her defensive progress and other play making ability. Her scoring I believe will be more consistent as she gains more experience.

Reaction Score
I would disagree that AM is not a scorer. Geno has said that she’s a scorer and shooter from her playing days in Poland. Whether she can consistently score for us is a question this year. I do like her defensive progress and other play making ability. Her scoring I believe will be more consistent as she gains more experience.

So she is a scorer but only taking 5 shots? And do you have the link that says she is a scorer or maybe he said "she can score?" But again -- why isn't she taking more shots then? She is tall for a wing, has a good handle, and is a good shooter.

Reaction Score
Her statistics may not be what we expected, but that isn't all on Squeeks.

The team is gaining the experience in the UConn system, but they don't have enough experience on the floor at any one time to really execute it in the fashion to which we've become accustomed. This has put enormous pressure on individual players that isn't easy with a short and inexperienced bench. It comes back to haunt us in big games where the pressure on us defensively robs players of their one-on-one energy.

We all knew this was going to be a learning year where a young squad was going to spend a lot of time on the steep part of the curve. Let's support them in the process...savor their growth over the next few years...and especially treasure the effort and resilience shown by everyone that steps on the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom