Cinncinnati Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Cinncinnati Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Cincinnati game:
  • I really liked how UConn played as a team in the 1st Qtr, getting contributions from everyone. Unfortunately, Cincinnati was going to flop anytime Liv came close to them. All 3 charges were tough calls. With Liv out, the Huskies execution suffered in the 2nd qtr, even after Geno put Liv back in the game.
  • Cincinnati is yet another team that caused UConn some difficulty by throwing a zone at the Huskies. UConn needs to get better attacking the zone by running offense through the high post. There was a nice play in the 4th qtr when Crystal drove into the lane, the zone collapsed on her and she hit Megan for a wide open 3. That’s the way to attack a zone.
  • Megan got the KLS, hack-a-Husky treatment tonight. Not sure why the referees didn’t go to the monitor when she got poked in the eye the second time. It was a dangerous play that should have been reviewed.
  • Crystal continues to come up huge for the Huskies whenever they hit a rough patch.
  • It sure didn’t feel like a 30 pt win, did it? Yes, I know that UConn will need to play much better to have a chance against the Ducks on Monday. The Huskies have 4 days to pull it all together.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno stills sound hoarse, as if still fighting off an upper respiratory infection of some sorts.

Reaction Score
I quit at the half. Could not stand watching this. Threatened to cancel my subscription to SLING to watch ESPN 3. Checked with ESPN to see score. Big change in second half. Better play with a full tank of gas on Monday, because this ain't going to be Cincinnati. Layups, layups, layups? Dang.

Well as Scarlett says: "tomorrow is another day".

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How could the refs not call a foul on the second time Meg got hit in the eye? Geez.

Thank goodness for Meg and Crystal. Liv looked really good at times but the rest of the team was MIA

On edit: here’s a shout out to Evelyn, too. She worked hard and did good

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
After making everything against ECU, Anna goes scoreless. Freshmen...
The second quarter was just a bad combination of cold shooting and UC making everything.
I think it finally clicked in the second half of Tennessee. It has been three solid showing since.
After reading about Travis Mays, it makes watching Geno and Crystal communicate even more special.
Batouly was dressed to play. Would have loved to see an appearance.
I think Geno takes special joy in thumping UC after what they did to Jamelle.
It is clearly none of my business, but I am worried about Jasmine.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
LIv: 12 pts on 6/6 shooting, 9 rbs, 2 asts & a block. Pretty nice game except for the damned charging fouls. Opposing teams are looking for every opportunity to step in front of Liv and flop. She's got to be aware that she's going to get a steady parade of defenders trying to draw charging fouls on her.

Reaction Score
This game belonged to Crystal with nice contributions by Meg. Eveylyn gave us good minutes and hope. Kyla made her presence known with her rebounding. Chrystyn came on late after horrendous early shooting. Liv worked the paint and made her shots. Anna had no points on 0 for 5 but made her usual great passes and several great defensive plays. Aubrey was her usual dynamo but showed she still doesn’t know where to go on offense and missed a lot of near basket bunnies. Molly didn’t get much action. Not the warm-up we need for Oregon. I am still hopeful.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
How could the refs not call a foul on the second time Meg got hit in the eye? Geez.

thank goodness for Meg and Crystal. Liv looked really good at times but the rest of the team was MIA

I have no idea what the rule is this year, but last year wasn't any contact above the shoulders supposed to be reviewed? Is that not still the case? Does the coach need to/ can the coach ask for a review?

On neither of the plays were the opponents' hands near the ball. On the first one it looked like Meg had just brought the ball down, but on the second it didn't even look like a play for the ball. It probably wasn't intentional, but it did look like a plain-old poke in the eye.

Reaction Score
This team does what it has to do to win. Meg goes out and all of a sudden Christyn wakes up. Crystal, as usual, does whatever we need. Our defense is good again. It is so much better when Liv is in the game she really clogs the middle. Some of the entry passes to liv were beautiful tonight. Oregon is gonna be tough they run the pick and roll so well. When we beat them when Sebrina was younger I think Geno had Gabby on her and she had some difficulty with a taller player. Maybe he will put Aubrey on her for a bit. I can't wait for the game Monday.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Throw out the 2nd quarter and it was a solid game. Cinci is one of the top teams in the American.

Not sure what game the refs were watching, but they needed glasses.

Freshmen are up and down. Not great production from them from a scoring perspective, but decent play otherwise.

Crystal = great!

No idea what is going on with Christyn. She needs invasion of the body snatchers or something to get her back to something better.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was struck tonight at how well Meg and Crystal work together. They have the give and go down pat and Meg set some great screens for Crystal, who could not miss from the arc. And no one on this team throws a cross-court pass as well as Meg. Crystal caught one pass and went right up with the shot to swish a three. Just beautiful work together

Reaction Score
Its all a lack of maturity! Hence we can only depend on Meg and Crystal!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Throw out the 2nd quarter and it was a solid game. Cinci is one of the top teams in the American.

Not sure what game the refs were watching, but they needed glasses.

Freshmen are up and down. Not great production from them from a scoring perspective, but decent play otherwise.

Crystal = great!

No idea what is going on with Christyn. She needs invasion of the body snatchers or something to get her back to something else.

Can Geno depend on Christyn down the stretch going forward? I hope so. Only 9 games left in the regular season. Plenty of time to address whatever needs to be fixed

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Am I missing something? Uconn just beat a UC team that has an outside chance of making the tournament by 30. Tough crowd.
I think the game on Monday gave fans the hope that the team would continue to play with the same aggressiveness and decisiveness going forward. That the team could slip into the same old scoring funk in the second quarter was disappointing.

Reaction Score
Meg and Crystal carried the scoring with help from Liv. But I constantly am amazed that I hear so much on the boneyard about scoring. Scoring is great but moving the ball creates scores. I watch the passing game. I thought Meg had one of her better passing games, Vrystal was her usual, and, as usual, Anna was pure gold. She and Paige could be a deadly duo; if Paige can make the transition to college ball (and I have high hopes she can), with Anna already there these two could create incredible magic.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
With all her positive play, Walker has got to stop making so many turnovers. If Williams can start hitting shots consistently, UConn won't struggle as much offensively. The freshmen will be up and down but the other players will need to be more dependable on offense. Still, UConn scored 80 points with the freshmen contributing little offensively and Williams struggling with her outside shot.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I was struck tonight at how well Meg and Crystal work together. They have the give and go down pat and Meg set some great screens for Crystal, who could not miss from the arc. And no one on this team throws a cross-court pass as well as Meg. Crystal caught one pass and went right up with the shot to swish a three. Just beautiful work together
I was also impressed by how well Ania played although she scored not a point. She made sure she did everything else necessary to win. Freshmen are going to have nights when the ball just can't find the bottom of the rim. Doing all those other things shows she gets it..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom