Cincy, Houston, UCF and BYU | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Cincy, Houston, UCF and BYU

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And #5, the AAC contract refused to parse out the WBB from the media deal....which means our standout WBB program was poised to subsidize the rest of the AAC. No way that could be allowed to happen.....it would have been a gross injustice.
Sort of. The woman’s contract now subsides the Big East. We don’t keep the SNU money. The real issue was that the AD didn’t want WBB stuck on ESPN +.

Reaction Score
And I'm amazed at the football is everything crowd for missing the bigger picture.

Basketball put UConn on the map. It will do so again. And the next time some conference comes calling, or a new conference is being developed, it will be basketball that makes that happen. That we also have a football team is a convenience for scheduling and balance. If it's actually competitive, all the better. But that conference will never, ever, be one of the superconferences, because football just doesn't matter in Connecticut.
When we were winning it mattered a lot.
Losing football doesn't matter in most places especially against random geographically disconnected opponents. You couldn't be more wrong.

Reaction Score
So which schools does ESPN tell the AAC to invite? The smart move would be to expand to 14 by adding the best 6 football schools they could get. I think MWC schools would say no.

Marshall is probably the best football brand available, Coastal Carolina finished in the top 25 last year, UAB has a new stadium and recent success, Charlotte just beat Duke. Georgia State? Old Dominion?

Army would definitely be on their wish list.

Does Navy leave the AAC and go independent?

The AAC can still be a decent G5 football conference but basketball is now completely in the toilet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe we rejoin as a FB-only if they ask nicely.
Well, I can agree that without cincy, Houston and UCF, the conference just got significantly uglier. It will be interesting to see who they pick up.. FIU, Coastal Carolina, Southern Miss, Rice, Liberty?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The market says football is everything. Basketball is great, but it has nominal influence on conference alignment and real dollar flow.
Yes, that's what "the market" says. And UConn football was never attractive enough on its own to seriously tip the scales in the school's favor in any realignment conversation, even when it was winning. Basketball titles were the prime attraction. There was never a "football culture" in Storrs to speak of, and to think there was is simply wishful thinking of a very poor memory.

Reaction Score
By hiring Edsall last do around, we pretty much told the world we aren't serious about football. Both DB and Uconn really messed that up.

If Uconn football is really good like UCF or Cincy today, I have no doubt we would have been in any expansion discussion including the upcoming B12 expansion.

Reaction Score
The fans that buy tickets and go to games rejected the AAC. If we were still there and didn't get on the latest lifeboat we would have lost everything.

If you “rejected the AAC” and it wasn’t just the feeling of losing that made you sour on FB, please tell us your ideal G5 opponents that you believe would fill the Rent.

If Navy, Temple, (formerly) Cincinnati, UCF, USF, etc (AAC East) weren’t to your liking, are you pining for Buffalo, Bowling Green, etc?
I’m just trying to see a realistic counter to what UConn had. IMO, the AAC was by far UConn’s best case scenario to make a resume for P5 inclusion.

Reaction Score
If you “rejected the AAC” and it wasn’t just the feeling of losing that made you sour on FB, please tell us your ideal G5 opponents that you believe would fill the Rent.

If Navy, Temple, (formerly) Cincinnati, UCF, USF, etc (AAC East) weren’t to your liking, are you pining for Buffalo, Bowling Green, etc?
I’m just trying to see a realistic counter to what UConn had. IMO, the AAC was by far UConn’s best case scenario to make a resume for P5 inclusion.
Prefer the indie schedule by alot. Getting Rutgers on the schedule.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So which schools does ESPN tell the AAC to invite? The smart move would be to expand to 14 by adding the best 6 football schools they could get. I think MWC schools would say no.

Marshall is probably the best football brand available, Coastal Carolina finished in the top 25 last year, UAB has a new stadium and recent success, Charlotte just beat Duke. Georgia State? Old Dominion?

Army would definitely be on their wish list.

Does Navy leave the AAC and go independent?

The AAC can still be a decent G5 football conference but basketball is now completely in the toilet.
I'm not sure who they move around but pretty soon conferences are going to run out of teams to backfill with....so the real question is, which conference goes away first?? It seems to me that C-USA always gets raided by the AAC. At this point they should just merge the conferences

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

So this is a done deal it seems. I found this tweet to be interesting.

It got me thinking about whether or not the Pac-12 is going to regret not grabbing a former Big12 team. Not sure who they'd take though.....

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I’m just trying to see a realistic counter to what UConn had. IMO, the AAC was y far UConn’s best case scenario to make a resume for P5 inclusion.
UConn had a lot going for it when it got passed over for Louisville. If you want tono blame Susan and Warde for that, go right ahead. But end of the day, football schools didn't want us because there was no history, no tradition, no recruiting base, no (or very few):boosters, while Louisville had all of that. That was UConn's best shot.

Pitt just got a $20 mill donation from a 1997 grad. What's UConn got coming? Other than Burton, has anyone else stepped up in the past decade?

Reaction Score
UConn had a lot going for it when it got passed over for Louisville. If you want tono blame Susan and Warde for that, go right ahead. But end of the day, football schools didn't want us because there was no history, no tradition, no recruiting base, no (or very few):boosters, while Louisville had all of that. That was UConn's best shot.

Pitt just got a $20 mill donation from a 1997 grad. What's UConn got coming? Other than Burton, has anyone else stepped up in the past decade?
One, two loss season in 1973. We never really had a breakout season in 50 years.

Reaction Score
the Math

This says $37m a school in the B12 conference TV contract - with OU & UT - up in 4 years. And they are scrambling. The speculation above is they stay $20-25m per annum after they bring in the 4 expansion members. (who - as AAC were getting less than $7m flat until 2034) methinks - once again - this is highly trial balloon wishing. BYU, we've seen, has a different valuation. But - while a much more interesting hoop conference - I am thinking they are not gonna be in the $20s. a boost for UCF, Cincy, Houston; but, a serious hit for 8 current B12 schools. Thanks Sooners & Longhorns.

As someone who loved Pac10 Football. Yes. The Time Zone is a TV issue. But not grabbing Texas, OU when you grabbed Utah & Colorado was a mistake. They absolutely are a fit for you academically - so you don't have to whine about that - and you would have figured it out. The Dallas/Houston plane ride is pretty easy to LAX. There is no damn good reason to not think that through strategically. Except? It is the Tradition mindset. I think it sets up ... USC (which as anyone knowledgeable can tell you) to pull something fast. They think they should make the most $$ in sports.

Reaction Score
the Math

This says $37m a school in the B12 conference TV contract - with OU & UT - up in 4 years. And they are scrambling. The speculation above is they stay $20-25m per annum after they bring in the 4 expansion members. (who - as AAC were getting less than $7m flat until 2034) methinks - once again - this is highly trial balloon wishing. BYU, we've seen, has a different valuation. But - while a much more interesting hoop conference - I am thinking they are not gonna be in the $20s. a boost for UCF, Cincy, Houston; but, a serious hit for 8 current B12 schools. Thanks Sooners & Longhorns.

As someone who loved Pac10 Football. Yes. The Time Zone is a TV issue. But not grabbing Texas, OU when you grabbed Utah & Colorado was a mistake. They absolutely are a fit for you academically - so you don't have to whine about that - and you would have figured it out. The Dallas/Houston plane ride is pretty easy to LAX. There is no damn good reason to not think that through strategically. Except? It is the Tradition mindset. I think it sets up ... USC (which as anyone knowledgeable can tell you) to pull something fast. They think they should make the most $$ in sports.

The ORD to LAX connection is easy too. I have to imagine the BiG is eying California. Markets are just too big to be ignored.

Reaction Score
The fans that buy tickets and go to games rejected the AAC. If we were still there and didn't get on the latest lifeboat we would have lost everything.
I wouldn't be surprised if UConn was informed through "tortious interference" to prepare for this move. We're obviously backed by the "Alliance".

College athletics has become like Star Wars. Holy war rivalries will easily form for TCU, Baylor and BYU. Iowa State might side with BYU with towns like Lamoni. Kirtland isn't too far from Cincinnati or WVU. UCF and Houston might side with TCU and Baylor.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
UConn fans naively rejected the AAC, looking down their nose at a pretty good conference. We were “too good” for them.

But that’s all done. It’s irrelevant now.

Reaction Score
UConn fans naively rejected the AAC, looking down their nose at a pretty good conference. We were “too good” for them.

But that’s all done. It’s irrelevant now.
E-ZzL3_WEAY5F_S.jpeg

Reaction Score
If UConn had “showed patience” and stayed in the AAC, it would be in the same position as USF, Tulane, and SMU — members of a G5 conference that is imploding. There’s nothing UConn could’ve done in the past 2 years to change that.
Plus Independence for football wasn’t our initial plan. I believe UConn wanted to move all sports to the Big East and keep football in the AAC, but they got rid of us, so Independent was the next best choice, which honestly IMO isn’t bad. We can still accomplish a lot as an independent.

Reaction Score
People seem to forget that UConn applied to the Big 12 last go round so Benedict knew what the Big 12 thought about adding UConn, a total geographical outlier. Apparently, the Big 12 did not rank UConn’s application high last go round.

I think most college administrators that follow realignment closely thought Texas and probably Oklahoma were not committed to the Big 12 long term and there could be openings in the Big 12 in the future and UConn wasn’t on the short list of candidates.

Imagine if UConn was still in the AAC today and Cinci, UCF, and Houston left? The new AAC would be a total dumpster fire. Is independent football and Big East basketball ideal LT? No, but it sure beats ending up in a new AAC conference.
I can be mistaken but I think I read somewhere that UConn was the 5th best out of the 10 or 12 schools that sent in their application the last go round. The top 4 was the schools that got the invite now in BYU, Cinn, Houston, and UCF then we were the 5th best option. I’m sure it had to do with geographic.

Reaction Score
By hiring Edsall last do around, we pretty much told the world we aren't serious about football. Both DB and Uconn really messed that up.

If Uconn football is really good like UCF or Cincy today, I have no doubt we would have been in any expansion discussion including the upcoming B12 expansion.
do you have $17m in your pocket? (the get out early AAC exit fee) (dave benedict took the discount offered by Edsall)

think. For all the rainy day folks around here ... WE are a University that has done some amazing things in sports. WE have Great Football Infrastructure. How do I know? We all have walked around Temple, Buffalo, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Army ... We have seen Buffalo, Army, Temple rise from true dregs. One good HC and we are rebounding.

I wish you all weren't all such whiny . There is a huge reason why we aren't UCF or Cincinnati. in retrospect, best wishes for them. WE made the right move in BE/Independent.

Reaction Score

watched a BYU Youtube show. They have a One year notice out in all their contracts with the idea that a Conference bid could come. So they are good on all things 2023 and beyond ... and maybe the middle to late 2022. If you really want to be cruel.

UCONN? Opportunities.

Reaction Score
Warde reluctantly hired KO who delivered a national championship. That is not an easy task.
It really isn’t but that was with Calhouns players, after that we were consistently bad until Hurley got here

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom