Cincy, Houston, UCF and BYU | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cincy, Houston, UCF and BYU

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Cincy, Houston and UCF have already been valued in the league there in. Some here thought the AAC would lose money because UConn left. Now those same networks are going to pay them more because there playing in another league? They need to bring at least $15 mill to the table or the B12 will take a hit with them.
It seems the next contract has to include a big hit

Reaction Score
LET'S PLAY MIKE ARESCO ...

Poof ... poor guy, just a few weeks ago, some were saying he could pick up the B12 leftbehinds. WTF. Why> That conference still has a few years to go on their TV contract ... with OU and UT providing maybe 3 years of content. Once more: the AAC never has the leverage they blowhard their way around the media horn. I don't think they blow up once the 3 members leave. I think they grab 4 to be 12 again.

Rice for Houston? Florida Atlantic ... (USF needs a in-state battle). I'd say Old Dominion - since they just picked up Football. And Temple needs Buffalo. There 4. And the lesser G5 bring 4 more. (see this is how FBS grows)

David Benedict made the right call. The money that is fixed for the next 12 years ... can be reduced as the 3 leave. The Basketball - which some of us care about - gets reduced. In fact, if the hoop sucks ... why does Temple or Memphis stay?

I feel good for kobe our Cincy friend. It is an upgrade. I do feel that UCONN is marginally better ... because suddenly, we have a handful of eastern friends that will play us more readily - Navy, Temple, USF.

Reaction Score
All may be true but why would a network pay more than they have to? Believe the Big 12 will be a second tier league regardless of how good the football teams are

Reaction Score
Cincy, Houston and UCF have already been valued in the league there in. Some here thought the AAC would lose money because UConn left. Now those same networks are going to pay them more because there playing in another league? They need to bring at least $15 mill to the table or the B12 will take a hit with them.
no one thinks the Big XII is going to get the same amount of money after Texas and Oklahoma are officially gone

Reaction Score
LET'S PLAY MIKE ARESCO ...

Poof ... poor guy, just a few weeks ago, some were saying he could pick up the B12 leftbehinds. . Why> That conference still has a few years to go on their TV contract ... with OU and UT providing maybe 3 years of content. Once more: the AAC never has the leverage they blowhard their way around the media horn. I don't think they blow up once the 3 members leave. I think they grab 4 to be 12 again.

Rice for Houston? Florida Atlantic ... (USF needs a in-state battle). I'd say Old Dominion - since they just picked up Football. And Temple needs Buffalo. There 4. And the lesser G5 bring 4 more. (see this is how FBS grows)

David Benedict made the right call. The money that is fixed for the next 12 years ... can be reduced as the 3 leave. The Basketball - which some of us care about - gets reduced. In fact, if the hoop sucks ... why does Temple or Memphis stay?

I feel good for kobe our Cincy friend. It is an upgrade. I do feel that UCONN is marginally better ... because suddenly, we have a handful of eastern friends that will play us more readily - Navy, Temple, USF.
I wouldn't be surprised if Navy goes back to being independent now. Which is great for us.

Reaction Score
I didn't want to post, but had to.

The Big 12 is going to be survive, easily. As long as they accept being Mormon holy land and a Mormon led version of the ACC. No one is poach Iowa State, Baylor, TCU, Cincinnati, BYU or UCF, at least.

Reaction Score
And that consideration, back in 2016, had almost zero to do with the football program. It had to do with the potential for the NYC media market should a Big12 Network be proposed, national championships in non-football sports (which add money for everyone in the conference), and academics.

There was only one favored choice: Cincy. Of the other two schools most mentioned, Houston created problems due to recruiting for the other Texas schools, and BYU created it's own set of non-PC behavioral issues.
I’m fascinated the lengths people go to justify what is the stupidity of tanking a major university to play basketball in a marginally relevant conference yielding $4 Million a year . Wow.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’m fascinated the lengths people go to justify what is the stupidity of tanking a major university to play basketball in a marginally relevant conference yielding $4 Million a year . Wow.
And I'm amazed at the football is everything crowd for missing the bigger picture.

Basketball put UConn on the map. It will do so again. And the next time some conference comes calling, or a new conference is being developed, it will be basketball that makes that happen. That we also have a football team is a convenience for scheduling and balance. If it's actually competitive, all the better. But that conference will never, ever, be one of the superconferences, because football just doesn't matter in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
no one thinks the Big XII is going to get the same amount of money after Texas and Oklahoma are officially gone
I know. But if they are worth $15 mill per school without the 4 then adding 4 at $15 mill is another $60 mill. Those 4 schools have to pay for themselves or they pull the average down below $15 mill.

Reaction Score
I know. But if they are worth $15 mill per school without the 4 then adding 4 at $15 mill is another $60 mill. Those 4 schools have to pay for themselves or they pull the average down below $15 mill.

All educated guessing/wishing but…

-> For the four schools invited to the Big 12, the move would be a giant step revenue-wise. American schools currently average $7 million in media rights revenue annually. Big 12 schools currently average $37 million annually.

Industry sources tell CBS Sports that the Big 12 lost at least 40% of its value with the departure of Texas and Oklahoma. However, the reconfigured Big 12 with four additions could earn $20 million-$25 million per season, softening the financial blow.

"These are the four that will allow us to enter that future negotiation favorably," a source within the Big 12 said. "What we're trying to do will give us the best opportunity to retain our CFP status and our Power Five status." <-

Reaction Score
And I'm amazed at the football is everything crowd for missing the bigger picture.

Basketball put UConn on the map. It will do so again. And the next time some conference comes calling, or a new conference is being developed, it will be basketball that makes that happen. That we also have a football team is a convenience for scheduling and balance. If it's actually competitive, all the better. But that conference will never, ever, be one of the superconferences, because football just doesn't matter in Connecticut.
The market says football is everything. Basketball is great, but it has nominal influence on conference alignment and real dollar flow.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Being Indy, BYU has reasonably complete schedules out to 2028. Wonder how they handle that/might be an opportunity for us to pick up some interesting games?
We need to gobble up as many of their P5 home and home series as possible.

Reaction Score
You REALLY wish we were still in the AAC? Wow. Just Wow.
Of course the AAC was far from ideal, but is what a solid conference from which to springboard had we put together a credible football program. Locking into the NBE was an insanely shorted sighted decision. The arguments raised against moving proved to be prescient and correct.

Reaction Score
The last decade has been the perfect storm for the destruction of the football program. HCRE 1.0 fleeing in the dead of night, ACC raid along with WVU & TCU fleeing to the XII, bad hire after bad hire, stoppage of play due to COVID-19. It feels like the gridiron program is being sucked down a black hole.
As an alum, I follow all UCONN sports teams, but football has always been my favorite sport. My kids cut their teeth on this program at Memorial Stadium watching Wilbur Guilliard chew up yardage. They are fellow alums partly because of my passion for this program.
Those who advocate for demotion to FCS status or complete abolition of the program just don't see the whole picture. A successful FBS program vying for conference championships was a source of pride during my kids tenure at UCONN. Marketing the University was much easier because of it. There was constant banter on this board of how soon the RENT would be expanded to its full 55,000 original blueprint & queries of if said expansion could ultimately go to 60k. (to think that the temporary seating added for the Michigan home game was the seating highpoint & may never again be revisited is just nauseating).
It is critical that the 2021 edition of the Football Huskies show true progress on the field in the win-loss column. The fact that the Huskies aren't even under consideration for XII expansion should be a rude wake up call to the powers that be. A reuniting with former conference mates WVU & Cinci to go along with UCONN's marketability in NYC would have been a no-brainer a decade ago. That it's not even an afterthought is both humbling & tragic.
This!!! Let's face it...most of us thought Diaco was a great hire at the time. 2015 had us buying in. Attendance was still near 30K per game, they were the only team in the country to beat Houston, went to a bowl game. So there's that....ever since????? Wow!!!

Reaction Score
Of course the AAC was far from ideal, but is what a solid conference from which to springboard had we put together a credible football program. Locking into the NBE was an insanely shorted sighted decision. The arguments raised against moving proved to be prescient and correct.
If BYU and Cincinnati (and freaking UCF) get in, so will UConn. Just have to play along with the drama. UConn fans and USF fans are a lot alike now.

Reaction Score
And UConn needs to stop hiring coordinators or position coaches for the head coach job in football. Including Edsall back when he was hired from the Jaguars.

Reaction Score
What you don't realize is that those three schools were worth far more than the 7M they are/were getting. It's the Tulsa, ECU, Tulane, Temple, etc that drag down the total value to the conference.

Reaction Score
And UConn needs to stop hiring coordinators or position coaches for the head coach job in football. Including Edsall back when he was hired from the Jaguars.
next coach needs to be a proven winner. Don't care what level. Don't care what region. Just someone who wins football games

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Of course the AAC was far from ideal, but is what a solid conference from which to springboard had we put together a credible football program.
Maybe we rejoin as a FB-only if they ask nicely.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
People seem to forget that UConn applied to the Big 12 last go round so Benedict knew what the Big 12 thought about adding UConn, a total geographical outlier. Apparently, the Big 12 did not rank UConn’s application high last go round.

I think most college administrators that follow realignment closely thought Texas and probably Oklahoma were not committed to the Big 12 long term and there could be openings in the Big 12 in the future and UConn wasn’t on the short list of candidates.

Imagine if UConn was still in the AAC today and Cinci, UCF, and Houston left? The new AAC would be a total dumpster fire. Is independent football and Big East basketball ideal LT? No, but it sure beats ending up in a new AAC conference.
My understanding is we were among the top choices last go round when Texas and OU vetoed the last expansion. We would be a geographic outlier but we are also a name brand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom