Chong will most likely choose between UCONN & Louisville | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chong will most likely choose between UCONN & Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Shall I look up Riley's assist stats or have you already done that since she is the one you are comparing her to?
Just once, admit you screwed up. Saying she seems to be a gunslinger was dumb, and everyone here knows it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Andrea Riley averaged 6.47 assists per game in her senior year at OSU. Sue Bird averaged 5.92 her senior year at UCONN and she was the PG for arguably the best team ever.

Like some say, stats don't always tell the story.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Just once, admit you screwed up. Saying she seems to be a gunslinger was dumb, and everyone here knows it.

Read my next post. Based on what I've seen, that is my opinion.

Reaction Score
Shall I look up Riley's assist stats or have you already done that since she is the one you are comparing her to?

Riley made Simmons look like she is gun-shy. A 9.5 average is not the sign of a gunslinger. Chong was the only upperclassman n her team. Try looking up Sims' assist record in HS and get back to me.

Reaction Score
Andrea Riley averaged 6.47 assists per game in her senior year at OSU. Sue Bird averaged 5.92 her senior year at UCONN and she was the PG for arguably the best team ever.

Like some say, stats don't always tell the story.
Find out what she did her 3rd year of HS. Compare apples and apples.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Find out what she did her 3rd year of HS. Compare apples and apples.

I'm not the one who brought up Riley. Tell that to whomever brought Riley into the conversation.

Reaction Score
I'm not the one who brought up Riley. Tell that to whomever brought Riley into the conversation.

I brought her up as a good example of a gunslinger. I based that on watching her play at least 10 games (complete games, not UTube edits) during her college career. She was a 25 - 30 shots a game type. If you don't think she was a gunslinger while continuing to hold your opinion of Chong then I'm done with this thread.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I brought her up as a good example of a gunslinger. I based that on watching her play at least 10 games (complete games, not UTube edits) during her college career. She was a 25 - 30 shots a game type. If you don't think she was a gunslinger while continuing to hold your opinion of Chong then I'm done with this thread.

I NEVER said that Riley was not a gunslinger. Her photo should be in the dictionary next to the word. But just because Riley was the ultimate gunslinger does not mean that others cannot fall into that category.

From what I saw of she looked trigger happy, much like Simmons and Schimmel.

Sorry, that's my opinHion.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So Chong will probably choose between UCONN and Louisville ?? :rolleyes: Has she even visited Louisville ?

Reaction Score
So Chong will probably choose between UCONN and Louisville ?? :rolleyes: Has she even visited Louisville ?

I believe that she is scheduled to visit Louisville sometime this month.

UConn in October.

If I am not mistaken, both of those will be official visits.

Peace,

John Fryer

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno and, I am sure, other coaches on his expert staff have not only seen Chong play often, but they have been in touch with her coach and with Saniya herself. As a result of their comprehensive evaluation Geno has invited her to Storrs for an official visit and he has offered her a scholarship to the most prestigious wcbb program in existence.

Here on the Boneyard we have a poster who has seen Chong on YouTube and thereby determined that she is a "gunslinger" and therefore a questionable fit at UConn.

This is beyond ridiculous. It's just plain nuts. Certainly unworthy of serious discourse.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
ETT why do you continue to make negative comments about UConn recruits, Geno and others in the UConn family. If I made similar comments about members of the Baylor family on the Baylor board, the posts would probably be deleted and I would possibly be banned. I also highly doubt you would make a similar comment about a player that Kim was recruiting.

I've read articles/columns where players, recruits and family members have said they were not happy over comments that were made on fan boards.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
ETT why do you continue to make negative comments about UConn recruits, Geno and others in the UConn family. If I made similar comments about members of the Baylor family on the Baylor board, the posts would probably be deleted and I would possibly be banned. I also highly doubt you would make a similar comment about a player that Kim was recruiting.

I've read articles/columns where players, recruits and family members have said they were not happy over comments that were made on fan boards.

ETTMary, ETTMAry, quit Contrary, how does your post count grow,
With calling Chong a gunslinger,
And putting Geno trough the wringer,
And questioning Taurasi for pulling her wisdom teeth all in a row.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score

Chong is visiting next weekend, 9/14-16.
It is a big football weekend, last home game for several weeks, vs. UNC.
I don't follow college football much, but hopefully we will dust the field with their powder blue uniforms.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't follow college football much, but hopefully we will dust the field with their powder blue uniforms.

If you can't the school should quit football.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

It's time to take out the trash.

Several years and a couple versions of the Boneyard ago, we had a particularly nasty poster who relentlessly criticized Maria Conlon, not only a fine player but a wonderful Connecticut girl.

It is a matter of record that (1) the vast majority of 'Yarders defended Maria and (2) it is known that Maria's family read Boneyard comments and threads.

The Conlon family was reportedly stung and hurt by the harsh and persistent comments of the hostile poster. Other old Boneyarders, who have discussed this with the family, know better than I whether Maria's supporters provided sufficient comfort to overcome the nasty critic.

It is quite legitimate to say (in a qualifying way) something like, "Although I have only seen [player] on video a few times she seemed to have a tendency to force shots when passes should be attempted."

ETT has not yet mastered the art of civility that is appropriate for guests.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I will trust the Uconn coaching staff more than individual posters on this board in terms of evaluation of HS students. It is a fact that all of the coaches in fairly quick succession made trips to watch Chong play, and they are obviously interested in recruiting her so they see her as being an asset to the Uconn program.
As far as her play - yes it is against less than the highest levels of HS in the US, but NY State women's HS basketball is not chopped liver either. To consistently score the way she does, to rebound and dish the dimes the way she does, takes a level of skill that is impressive against almost any competition. The little that I have seen of her play has been impressive. She is a very good outside shooter who is also very capable of driving to the hoop and finishing against bigger players.
As far as her ranking, which has been discussed previously - if a HS player does not play for a powerhouse AAU team that travels to all the big events, and does not play for a HS team that travels, the ranking services never see her play and have a hard time ranking her as they depend for the most part of live evaluations. USA basketball for everyone's complaints tend to cast a wider net in their evaluations - and having their national team coach located in CT for the last four years means that they probably had a few live eyes on Chong over the last couple of years. She received an invitation to the trials which put her in their evaluation in the top 30 or so players. The fact that she did not make the team is neither here nor there - please remember that this year is the first time that Jefferson made it from trials to a team and she is considered a top 3 recruit.

Reaction Score
The UConn women's team make every effort to attend UConn's home football games and have seats of honor - always the first two rows to the left of the band (as you look at it from the field). Up until practice starts, that is. After First Night, for Saturday noon time games you will not find the women's team in attendance.

For a lot of recruits, football games are part of the college experience and I think (but have no proof, in case anyone wonders) most of them are big sports fans in general. But if they are looking to go to a school that has a "big time" college football footprint, then I am afraid that is one recruiting battle UConn loses 9 times out of 10.

JS

Reaction Score
It's time to take out the trash.
Rarely do I disagree with you, Kib, but in this instance I must.

There's no comparison between ETT and BBallxxxxx. The latter, as you said, focused relentlessly over a long period of time on criticizing one player. ETT is entitled to his first-voiced opinion about a recruit, even if undiplomatically (not uncivilly IMO) stated.

The brou-ha-has that follow could stand to be toned down, and that has to come from him, as we're happy to discuss with him by PM. This is, after all, primarily a UConn board, and any persistence in snarling back at the first couple of huskies to growl will just attract a larger pack.

We have scores of valued visitors. Successful visitor status on this or any similar board either comes naturally or is at least a learnable art. Some with a lot to contribute (like ETT), and with no ill motive (like the obsessive provocateur BBall had), need to work at it.

And overall, we'd like discussions about the status of other posters, at least those who are something more than fly-by-night trolls, to take place by PM.

In that regard, and acknowledging the less than lofty bar, some of you would make better mods than we are. I've got this one guy, he probably knows who he is, that I can't stop agreeing with every time he reports a post or wants to lock a thread. I'm just waiting for the chance to ignore him.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I have had many similar an argument over the years but my rule of thumb is always stick to the players I have seen with my own eyes or state that the information is from another who I trust but that I myself have not seen them. Arguing about high school stats in itself is a very difficult area, unless you have some like competition, like at a national TOC for example, it is very difficult to do. There are schools well known to us in CA that pad stats, so unless you see a kid play one cannot use them to determine their potential ability. On the other hand, there are coaches I would trust as to their recruitment of athletes, Geno being one of them. Do I agree or disagree with anything said in this thread - no, but sometimes taking a moment before you post helps. I posted once and my meaning was taken the wrong way but I was helped out by a mod and I appreciate that as I am most definitely not the most articulate.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Rarely do I disagree with you, Kib, but in this instance I must.

There's no comparison between ETT and BBallxxxxx.

My intent was not to compare ETT with BBallxxxx. I used the past experience of BBallxxx to illustrate the point, made earlier (and quoted by me) that some parents do read this stuff and it inevitably has some effect.

I apparently did not make that point clear, which I regret.

I would never suggest that ETT has the meanness that characterized BBallxxxx.

I guess my gripe is that since he farts so often I wish he would suppress them, at least in frequency.

JS

Reaction Score
I guess my gripe is that since he farts so often I wish he would suppress them, at least in frequency.
So you'd recommend something over-the-counter, Dr. Kibitzer?

May I assume it'd be the extra strength?

gasx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits