Chong will most likely choose between UCONN & Louisville | The Boneyard

Chong will most likely choose between UCONN & Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
SOURCE: Twitter

I still got my money on you guys since she is visiting UConn last but you never know in the world of recruiting. I wonder if she is still scheduled to visit OSU or not.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Thanks for the update.

I'm hoping that the prospect of staying closer to home and playing for a legendary coach ultimately wins out.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hmm. Source? I thought OSU was a strong contender.

Does Saniya want to be like Bria Hartley or Shoni Schimmel?

Reaction Score
Hmm. Source? I thought OSU was a strong contender.

Does Saniya want to be like Bria Hartley or Shoni Schimmel?

https://twitter.com/WeWorkHoops/status/243889073687781377

Let's be honest, how much time would Saniya see on the court for UConn. She could compete for a BE championship and FF every year but she would be cheering from the bench. She would most likely be the starting PG for Louisville in 2014

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Let's be honest, how much time would Saniya see on the court for UConn. She could compete for a BE championship and FF every year but she would be cheering from the bench. She would most likely be the starting PG for Louisville in 2014
Fair point and i'm sure that's part of the pitch Jeff will be telling her. How much court time she sees depends on how hard she works and how good she is. Her freshman year, UCONN would "only" have guards of Bria, Brianna, and Moriah. Wings/forwards of Morgan, Bree, and KML, and post players of Stef and Kiah.

Depending on who else UCONN gets, if ONLY Saniya came to UCONN, we'd have a team of 9 players. Plenty of playing time for her to be had. I think some of it depends if she fancies herself a potentially better player than Brianna Banks. But you are correct, the competition for PT at UCONN is much harder than the competition at L'ville. However, I strongly disagree that she'd be cheering from the bench. Unless you don't think she's a very good player.

Reaction Score

How many players does Louisville have signed for her freshman year? The entire UConn roster set for then is only 8 players IF everyone's healthy, and every team gets injuries. There's almost certain to be big minutes available at UConn for anybody willing to work for them. I don't know where people get the idea that UConn is choked with recruits like UNC or something, the furthest thing from the case. If nothing materializes in 2013, there will be a great opportunity for walk-ons to end up with real minutes.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
How many players does Louisville have signed for her freshman year? The entire UConn roster set for then is only 8 players IF everyone's healthy, and every team gets injuries. There's almost certain to be big minutes available at UConn for anybody willing to work for them. I don't know where people get the idea that UConn is choked with recruits like UNC or something, the furthest thing from the case. If nothing materializes in 2013, there will be a great opportunity for walk-ons to end up with real minutes.
Correct. Right now the only guards UConn will have in 2013-14 are senior Hartley, junior Banks, and soph Jefferson. Plus junior KML if she is at the 2. Plenty of minutes available for Saniya and Linnae if they come.

Jim

Reaction Score
If nothing materializes in 2013, there will be a great opportunity for walk-ons to end up with real minutes.
Indeed. We could see another player like Stacey Marron, who wasn't recruited by UConn, enrolled on her own dime, made the team as a walk-on, was later awarded a scholarship, and graduated with three NCAA championship rings.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

As others have noted, we will have openings at the guard slots, especially her second year and beyond.

In addtion, she is one player about whom I have little sense as to how good she is. Her rankings range from 10-20 to 100 or lower. The kids can score. I think she may have both starter and star potential. I don't see her as a permanent bench player. I also am concerned about MoJeff's durability. Saniya will get playing time at UConn one way or another.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As others have noted, we will have openings at the guard slots, especially her second year and beyond.

In addtion, she is one player about whom I have little sense as to how good she is. Her rankings range from 10-20 to 100 or lower. The kids can score. I think she may have both starter and star potential. I don't see her as a permanent bench player. I also am concerned about MoJeff's durability. Saniya will get playing time at UConn one way or another.
I'm with Mil on this - hard to tell how good she really is. She's slender, but an absolute scoring machine. Having said that she's rated about 75 per HG and 91 per BS. Her prolific scoring has come in a relatively weak league, and while she was invited to the USA team trials, she did not make the team. So it's hard to tell just how good she is or just how much potential she actually has.

I tend to believe she's an under the radar type of kid who is a late bloomer. From her scoring numbers alone, I think she's probably a legit top 20 kid, but that's just my opinion. One thing you can't deny is that she knows how to put the ball in the basket. How many times has Geno joked about other teams that are unable to score even when they have open looks - because they are athletes, and not necessarily scorers.

With regards to Moriah's durability, she's certainly very slender, but guards don't necessarily get banged around as much(certainly not like Stef and Kiah in the post). Tiff was very slender when she first got to UCONN, as was Brianna. I'm sure Mo will work on getting stronger as part of her fitness program. I can't speak to her stamina (and by extension durability) over a 35+ game season or how much of a toll it will take on her as a freshman - but I'm not worried in that we have plenty of depth this year. I think Geno is very happy to have the luxury of not NEEDING to rely on the freshmen like he has had to do in the past (especially like when Stef was a freshman and there was literally no one else)...

Reaction Score
What impresses me is that in addition to being a top scorer she averaged about 9.5 assists last season. She's no A. Riley.

Reaction Score
This is likely the twitter source. Decide for yourself on its reliability.

We Work Hoops@WeWorkHoops
Word from up north '13 Ossining HS (NY) guard Saniya Chong will likely pick either UConn or Louisville

Reaction Score
This is likely the twitter source. Decide for yourself on its reliability.

We Work Hoops@WeWorkHoops
Word from up north '13 Ossining HS (NY) guard Saniya Chong will likely pick either UConn or Louisville

That is the source. The OP, Louisville, posted it.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
It's ridiculous to say she will just high five for four years. If she works hard, she'll have chances to play. We are going to have a very fluid lineup. Does she like bling, the kind passed out in March?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Chong seems to be a gunslinger. She could be UCONN's version of UT's Simmons. If she wants the total green light that may impact her decision. To me, she does not fit the UCONN mold.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Chong seems to be a gunslinger. She could be UCONN's version of UT's Simmons. If she wants the total green light that may impact her decision. To me, she does not fit the UCONN mold.

Where do you come up with this stuff? How do you know any of that? I'll bet the farm you have not even seen her play, no less know if she want the "total green light".

Reaction Score

Maybe she has to be a gunslinger because she is by far the best player for her high school team? You could be right but it could be a situation where she would pass more if she had more talent around her. I did not expect to see ohio State not mentioned I believe they recruited her the longest.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am amazed that people here admit they haven't even seen Saniya play yet they're somehow capable of determining what kind of college career she'll have. The Boneyard is overflowing with Karnacs.

Carson-Great-Karnak.jpg

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Its just our friendly Baylor fan taking pot shots at UConn Recruits. Perhaps hoping that Saniya will read them and not want to come to her. I've seen Saniya play and she is no gunslinger, doesn't come close to having the personality that Simmons has and she is a team player..... I for one hope Geno and the coaching staff are able to get Saniya to sign with UConn. Besides being a good player, guard is a big need for the future years.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Looking at UConns situation they need guards with height. Saniya and MJ are both quick and can create and both are ball handleing point guards. I really like that combo. As the roster stands right now she will play alot, no doubt. If you talk to coaches in NY they rave about her. Hey I dont care who your playing againest to score 35 pts and 9+ assists is not an easy thing to do for an underclassman. One thing everybody has missed...shes a leader on a good hs team. I like our chances alot however anything can happen with a teenager just look at DDs final decision. What a surprise that was.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One other thing to add to ETT's loony post is that when Geno went to see her play, he actually said she was a bit too unselfish. These comments were about a kid who averaged almost 10 assists per game. He said that after seeing her score 53 points and grab 10 rebounds.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Where do you come up with this stuff? How do you know any of that? I'll bet the farm you have not even seen her play, no less know if she want the "total green light".

Turn over the deed...you just lost the farm. I have seen footage of her games and there were times that she was pulling the trigger the moment she crossed mid court. It just didn't strike me as UCONN's style but definitely reminded me of Schimmel.

And yes, I made my comment hoping that she would read it and get so upset that she runs as far away from UCONN as possible. Because I know how much she must value my opinion. ROFL

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Notice the "if" part that you so conveniently left out, as in "IF she wants the total green light." I did not say she does. So quit being so defensive because I said she "seems to be " a gunslinger. That was based on what I saw.

Reaction Score

I can understand your opinion seeing how you are basing it on a UTube video. How do you explain 9.5 assists a game? The truth is that she plays for a very well-coached team that also plays together with her coach in AAU. They play a very uptempo style in which Saniya excels both as a scorer and as a distributer. Another poster has seen her play live several times and compares her favorably with Hartley. He says she already passes better than Hartley at this point in both careers.

She's no A Riley.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I can understand your opinion seeing how you are basing it on a UTube video. How do you explain 9.5 assists a game? The truth is that she plays for a very well-coached team that also plays together with her coach in AAU. They play a very uptempo style in which Saniya excells both as a scorer and as a distribtor. Another poster has seen her play live several times and compares her favorably with Hartley.

She's no A Riley.

Shall I look up Riley's assist stats or have you already done that since she is the one you are comparing her to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom