Chong, season scoring prediction... one game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chong, season scoring prediction... one game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chong will take a senior leadership role - directing the offense - playing strong defense - she will not be looking to score. Plus Dangerfield and Bent will get more playing time in the games to come. That being said if it does happen I want it to be in a meaningful game -not some blowout - she has earned that.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I certainly think she'll score 20 if the team needs it. She tends to come up big when the team offense is flat. As has been pointed out, her biggest game so far this year was a 2-point victory; she scored 20 in the Stanford game, which went to overtime; she had a big game vs South Florida. It's likely that there will be a game in which two of the big three are off when Saniya will take over rather than Nurse or Dangerfield.

I admire her sticking around for four years. There have been dozens of big-name transfers the last few years, and she certainly could have gone to a school where she not only would have started but been a standout. Instead she opted for a great team environment with a great but demanding coach.

Charlie

Reaction Score
Will she score at least 20 points in any game this season?

I don't think she will but others expect her to because she was a scoring machine in High School
Daddy---You are so often correct--so I won't disagree BUT!! She has the potential/ability to score 30 point.
Why she hasn't scored a consistent 5/15 point a game THIS SEASON--is reason to be confused about her.
So--Daddy----I can never say never--especially with a kid I respect.

Reaction Score
Chong will take a senior leadership role - directing the offense - playing strong defense - she will not be looking to score. Plus Dangerfield and Bent will get more playing time in the games to come. That being said if it does happen I want it to be in a meaningful game -not some blowout - she has earned that.

Not to disagree---Any player who has Offense in her bag of tricks and does not use it--is wasted playing time---you have to keep your opponent guessing --will she score or will she not --so they can't play 5 on 4. So far in her career her defense has not been her greatest asset--As negative as this may sound--Chong has been needed this year, and is an asset in the training of Dangerfield, and CAN score.
And I don't think Dangerfield is ready for Div 1 BB so until at least Feb I have doubts she shall Start, even then Chong will need to cover her against tough defense.

Reaction Score
IMHO Saniya seems more comfortable out on the floor this year. Each game she meshes better with the other 4 players. She has recognized pathways to the hoop (and taken them) and she has hit her outside shot at times. Three things she has improved upon so far this season--- her passing (4-5 assists some games) her turn-overs ( one or none some games) and her defense. She not only is staying in front of her opponent, she has tipped more balls and switches much more quickly than last year. Those three skills are keeping Geno happy. Also, Saniya (towards the middle and end of game) is playing the two guard at times. Geno keeps harping --know your strengths and play to them--so Saniya at the two guard will keep passing and defend, but will look for her shot more.
Most posters have it right--Saniya will score 20 sometime this season and probably in conference play. One game she will be hot out of the gate and the team will clearly see it and feed her for a big game.
Remember two years ago in the NC game when Mo knew she had to take over that game (and boy did she) and Stewie still won the MVP of the game award and was crying because she knew Mo took over that game and really deserved the award. IMHO I believe there will be a game where Saniya will come through big time and be the big scorer. One game out of 38 -40 games is not asking too much--is it?
Coach---Thanks for the nice words for Chong. She worked hard, stayed with us, and gives all she has. She lacks "quickness" and has some problems with 'pressure/double teaming" defense. Yet her experience and potential to score and teaching ability are among her highest assets. I'd like to see her go off in few game for 20 points or more--she has that in her skill level. Unfortunately it appears, she and probably Geno believe her function is to set up KLM, Collier, Gabby, Kia ONLY.
I like the 2 guard use of Chong--maybe she could get those 20 points per game.

Reaction Score
I share everyone's hopes for Saniya's defense and her success. But she's in her 4th year and defense is not exactly a new message at UConn.

And since her great showing against FSU, things have changed.
1. Crystal has demonstrated fantastic potential and Geno has to decide whether it's worth giving Saniya extended time vs. developing Crystal for April and for the future;
2. Molly shows definite glimpses of being the 3rd guard (tenacious, if inexperienced, defender and beginning to hit her shots);
3. perhaps most importantly, with Pheesa and Lou putting up big numbers (and esp. if Kia continues to do so as well), there won't be as great a need to have another scorer on the court.

All of this suggests to me that Saniya will continue to get the quick hook if she demonstrates defensive lapses. Geno's doing this, not only because of his frustration with her, but to remind everyone else what his standards are.

You are correct!! Chong is who/what she is and probably going to be until June. She has a skill set built within her. Her Defense is suspect because she lacks "quickness".
1. Crystal will get more time--but Chong's experience against suffocating defense will be needed--Even if Crystal is a Starter, Chong will be required for "relief"
2. Molly--I love everything about her--She can shoot, has good guard skills, as a frosh lacks defense.
3. Collier, Samuelson, Williams until Dangerfield feels comfortable shall be Uconn's scoring threats. But what happens when they go cold (it happens) or are guarded tightly because they are the threats---Chong or Dangerfield or hopefully Molly's scoring abilities will be needed

Bag--apparently, as hard as I try, I don't disagree with you.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Coach---Thanks for the nice words for Chong. She worked hard, stayed with us, and gives all she has. She lacks "quickness" and has some problems with 'pressure/double teaming" defense. Yet her experience and potential to score and teaching ability are among her highest assets. I'd like to see her go off in few game for 20 points or more--she has that in her skill level. Unfortunately it appears, she and probably Geno believe her function is to set up KLM, Collier, Gabby, Kia ONLY.
I like the 2 guard use of Chong--maybe she could get those 20 points per game.
I hope she does not pass the ball to KLM or Geno will go nuts, seeing how she is not a member of the team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I hope she does not pass the ball to KLM or Geno will go nuts, seeing how she is not a member of the team.
KLM is an airline, not a current or former UConn player.

IMG_0064.JPG

Reaction Score
I kept thinking about this thread the entire game. I'll admit I gave quite the appreciative holler when she hit 20. Absolutely great to see, as I thought we would. She's an great girl with a heart of gold, and I'm so glad she got to have her BadAss night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom