Chong, season scoring prediction... one game | The Boneyard

Chong, season scoring prediction... one game

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Will she score at least 20 points in any game this season?

I don't think she will but others expect her to because she was a scoring machine in High School

Reaction Score
Watching her this year and hearing Geno's comments about her ups and downs, I think she is going for consistency and working on defense. I liked what I saw in the DePaul game. She was focused and decisive. The switching defense really suits her and you could see the intensity on her face. At one point she was alone as DePaul got the ball up quickly and did a great job of cutting off the player and stopping a chance at an easy bucket! She could easily score 20 and I could see it happening, especially in a conference game.

Reaction Score
I just have the feeling that Saniya is improving her defense every game. Once she gets the feeling that she is indeed an important cog to this team and becomes more confident , we will the offensive skills break through . Go Saniya !

Reaction Score

I don't think she will but others expect her to because she was a scoring machine in High School
I think she will. It seems like she is more confident with each game. Some players just take longer to display their talents and, to me, Sanyia is ready to break out and become a significant contributor. I look at her as a shy person who just realized she is now a Senior who has finally matured in her thinking. Just in time.

Reaction Score
I share everyone's hopes for Saniya's defense and her success. But she's in her 4th year and defense is not exactly a new message at UConn.

And since her great showing against FSU, things have changed.
1. Crystal has demonstrated fantastic potential and Geno has to decide whether it's worth giving Saniya extended time vs. developing Crystal for April and for the future;
2. Molly shows definite glimpses of being the 3rd guard (tenacious, if inexperienced, defender and beginning to hit her shots);
3. perhaps most importantly, with Pheesa and Lou putting up big numbers (and esp. if Kia continues to do so as well), there won't be as great a need to have another scorer on the court.

All of this suggests to me that Saniya will continue to get the quick hook if she demonstrates defensive lapses. Geno's doing this, not only because of his frustration with her, but to remind everyone else what his standards are.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Saniya needs a breakout game. When she does look out. I saw her in HS. She was an unbelievable scorer from everywhere. In a game against CTK and Sierra Calhoun with an upset stomach she scored something like 40 pts. I think it wa 28 in the 4th qtr. We've seen her drive the lane and we've seen her from deep. Now... Im sitting and waiting for the explosion.

Reaction Score
The 4th year for her and the trust isnt there. The coaches dont know wich Saniya is gonna show up. So when she does you take advantage of it and when she doesnt she sits. Nothing changes if nothing changes and nothing has changed.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Yes. But does it really matter as long as the team wins?
No, not at all. There have been plenty of successful UConn players who've made significant contributions without scoring a ton of points. Although UConn fandom, in general, is a lot better about noting contributions other than points scored, there's still a heavy emphasis on scoring, in the minds of some. And, in fairness, ya gotta score points to win.

But, DC's original question was a simple one (that, as we are wont to do, was taken in several different tangents). Will Saniya have a 20-point scoring game this season? I believe she will. I'm encouraged by her second-half scoring against FSU, on the road. We do have a lot of conference games where she should match up well, offensively. And, although there's a need to work Dangermouse and Bent into the flow of things, the overall roster is short, and the roster is young. Somebody's gotta be on the floor, who's an upperclassman, to provide that stability and leadership - Chong will get some of those minutes, and have scoring opportunities.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don't know if she'll score 20 points in a game or not, but I maintain that she is an important component of this team. I predict there will be a day when she will be needed. Let us hope she shines that day.

Reaction Score
I agree with those who say that Saniya is important to the team and its chemistry. Sure, she could put up 20+ in some conference game, but I'm not sure it matters much in the scheme of things. As Gus just pointed out, what's important is if she comes through when UConn needs her most. One basket -- even one free throw -- could make the difference in an important game. I'd love to see her be the one who makes it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
No, not at all. There have been plenty of successful UConn players who've made significant contributions without scoring a ton of points. Although UConn fandom, in general, is a lot better about noting contributions other than points scored, there's still a heavy emphasis on scoring, in the minds of some. And, in fairness, ya gotta score points to win.

But, DC's original question was a simple one (that, as we are wont to do, was taken in several different tangents). Will Saniya have a 20-point scoring game this season? I believe she will. I'm encouraged by her second-half scoring against FSU, on the road. We do have a lot of conference games where she should match up well, offensively. And, although there's a need to work Dangermouse and Bent into the flow of things, the overall roster is short, and the roster is young. Somebody's gotta be on the floor, who's an upperclassman, to provide that stability and leadership - Chong will get some of those minutes, and have scoring opportunities.

lawd, thanks you very much for replying to that comment... I was looking for some nice words but couldnt come up with any.

Reaction Score
I think it depends which Saniya shows up for the rest of the season. Provided Senior Saniya shows up the rest of the season, I don't think a 20 point game is out of the question, though I'd say the 15-18 range with a nice spread of assists is more likely. If Senior Saniya doesn't show up... I don't think it'll happen. But I hope that she does, because this year, she's proving to be a very important piece of this team and it looks as though she's finally coming into her own after three years. However, it'll be interesting to see how her minutes pan out as the season progresses. Will Geno start Crystal Dangerfield over Chong eventually? And if that happens - which, if Crystal Dangerfield continues to be productive and hot off the bench, I don't see happening for the time being - how greatly will her minutes be impacted?

Safe prediction is that it happens during conference play. Bold prediction is that she comes alive against OSU.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I agree with those who say that Saniya is important to the team and its chemistry. Sure, she could put up 20+ in some conference game, but I'm not sure it matters much in the scheme of things. As Gus just pointed out, what's important is if she comes through when UConn needs her most. One basket -- even one free throw -- could make the difference in an important game. I'd love to see her be the one who makes it.
I agree, I don't think she's a scoring option like Nurse (as someone mentioned her "break out game). With Collier, KLS, Nurse and Gabby as options I don't see her reaching 20 pts... due to having to manage the offense as a PG.
Has Jefferson ever scored 20? (wondering)

Reaction Score
I agree, I don't think she's a scoring option like Nurse (as someone mentioned her "break out game). With Collier, KLS, Nurse and Gabby as options I don't see her reaching 20 pts... due to having to manage the offense as a PG.
Has Jefferson ever scored 20? (wondering)

Jefferson scored 25 at the Temple game last season in Feb to tie her career high. Her career high 25 came in the Regional Semifinal against Texas the season before. It's been done! But it wasn't common.

Reaction Score
IMHO Saniya seems more comfortable out on the floor this year. Each game she meshes better with the other 4 players. She has recognized pathways to the hoop (and taken them) and she has hit her outside shot at times. Three things she has improved upon so far this season--- her passing (4-5 assists some games) her turn-overs ( one or none some games) and her defense. She not only is staying in front of her opponent, she has tipped more balls and switches much more quickly than last year. Those three skills are keeping Geno happy. Also, Saniya (towards the middle and end of game) is playing the two guard at times. Geno keeps harping --know your strengths and play to them--so Saniya at the two guard will keep passing and defend, but will look for her shot more.
Most posters have it right--Saniya will score 20 sometime this season and probably in conference play. One game she will be hot out of the gate and the team will clearly see it and feed her for a big game.
Remember two years ago in the NC game when Mo knew she had to take over that game (and boy did she) and Stewie still won the MVP of the game award and was crying because she knew Mo took over that game and really deserved the award. IMHO I believe there will be a game where Saniya will come through big time and be the big scorer. One game out of 38 -40 games is not asking too much--is it?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I could certainly see Chong hitting for 20+, she hit 16 in a tough first game - if her shot is on, it only takes about 7 for 10 (with threes/FTs) to get there and her getting 10 shots in certain games may not be that unusual. She is also likely to spend a fair amount of time playing with the bench in the fourth Q - I suspect Geno will rotate that somewhat, but Chong will get more minutes - and with them being somewhat scoring challenged she may take more shots per minute during that time than during the first Q when she is trying to get the other four starters going.

Reaction Score
Saniya scored more with a tougher team as with Stamford and FSU.
I think she will ...

Reaction Score

lawd, thanks you very much for replying to that comment... I was looking for some nice words but couldnt come up with any.
No nice words? Was my comment inapproiate? I answered then asked a question of my own.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
will Chong reach 1000 Points in her career... I have no idea where she currently is but 1000 would be a nice milestone

Reaction Score
will Chong reach 1000 Points in her career... I have no idea where she currently is but 1000 would be a nice milestone
Her page on the UConn site says that she has 556 points in 118 games over her 4 seasons thus far. Unfortunately, it won't happen. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom