Chong commits!! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chong commits!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The 2012 season may be less clear-cut, but many of us think depth--particularly in the post--cost us the 2011 title. We led ND in the second half until Stef got in foul trouble. Tiff had a bad game, as did others not named Maya. If we had gotten a couple more kids in Kelly's class, it is not a stretch at all to think that would have made a difference. I have little doubt that we could have beaten TAMU in the finals.

Recruiting is a system involving interconnecting parts, causes and effect. The Auriemma recruiting system jeopardizes quantity for the sake of chemistry, getting the right parts that are usually (but not always) of highest quality. By suggesting that one part of the system change, other parts, causes and effects invariably change as well. They may change precisely how we want, they may not. Really being able to predict those changes accurately is no given (but admittedly entertaining). With that in mind let's look back at the results of the really "thin" classes in my recent memory.

One was the Wright/Sherwood/one other class that was "thin" by accident. The results were indeed mediocre by UConn standards, but if anything that might call into question recruiting additional players for the sake of filling a roster.

One was the Johnson class of 1. This also became a class of zero, but this time the "class" won two national championships.

The Moore class was a little thin, but managed to win two national championships.

The Hayes class became thin, but managed to win two national championships.

The Faris class still could win two, and will likely make the Final Four every year.

These consistent results with thin classes leaves me content with the system. Having added players for the 2011 season could have led to victory, those players defecting, or a decrease in performance chemistry. One can have fun speculating, but one never knows.

JS

Reaction Score
On Saturday morning, when UConn women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma asked Ossining High senior Saniya Chong if she had any questions toward the end of her final official recruiting visit, Chong had just one.

She asked Auriemma when she’d be expected to report for training.

Article

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
On Saturday morning, when UConn women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma asked Ossining High senior Saniya Chong if she had any questions toward the end of her final official recruiting visit, Chong had just one.

Article
The article refers to Bria Hartley as a senior. That confusion would account for the 3 graduating guards comment earlier. Please pinch me and remind me that Bria is only a Junior. Let's not push her out the door too soon.

Reaction Score
We now have a ' New Sparkie" fron Ossining, where is located the famous or infamous Fed prison " Sing Sing". Why is it so? Because it housed the 'electric chair' for the state of N.Y. What was the chair's name? 'Old Sparkie'.

Reaction Score
We now have a ' New Sparkie" fron Ossining, where is located the famous or infamous Fed prison " Sing Sing". Why is it so? Because it housed the 'electric chair' for the state of N.Y. What was the chair's name? 'Old Sparkie'.

Gets my vote for the 'Worst Idea of the Year.'

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Article
Short article but some great quotes in there. Loved the one you listed and this one as well...

“What she really wanted was what she has in high school – a family type of setting with the players,” said Ricci, whom Chong calls Uncle Ricci. “She got that from the other schools she visited but she didn’t think she was going to see that at UConn, being that they’re all-stars, All-Americans and high-profile players.

“(On Friday) she said, ‘It went really well. Not what I expected. Everybody’s so nice and they get along with each other. It’s great.’ ”

More comments, this time from a complete outsider, on the great chemistry on the team. I think the UCONN teams have historically had really really good chemistry, but there are years where it's not as good as others... So glad we got this kid...

To answer ed's question regarding the possibility of Chong "mysteriously" rising in the rankings since she committed to UCONN, it didn't happen with Johnson, Dolson, Engeln, Faris, or even Walker for that matter (Samarie in fact dropped in the rankings after verbaling to UCONN). I think the reason we will see Chong rise (75 per HG, 72 per BS) is because she's good, and she was under the radar due to not playing on any elite teams.

She's already been invited to a US National Team tryout. She didn't make the team but was one of the 26 invited. I'm not sure if that means she's considered by some to be one of the top 25 or so kids in the nation, but I do think she's a top 30 kid... She has her whole senior year to learn and grow and show what she can do. Gonna be fun to watch!! She will also see double and triple teams, probably all the time.

Reaction Score

She asked Auriemma when she’d be expected to report for training...

Beautiful! She has forever endeared herself to Geno and Husky fans as well!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think the UCONN teams have historically had really good chemistry, but there are years where it's not as good as others.

And some years it's better than others. I just have a feeling from what I have seen over the last few years that this team is at the upper level in chemistry when compared to past teams.

This and the depth at every position will make them one of the best UConn teams ever. And even better in 2013.

Reaction Score
it's obvious in the video that she enjoys passing the ball as much as shooting it. looks like she has good court vision. perhaps this is part of what uconn coaches noticed about her.

Reaction Score
I really like this young lady; she has a great attitude and a very positive outlook.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I can't resist a word of praise to the writer for his correct placement of both quotation marks (seldom seen), outside the period:

"(On Friday) she said, 'It went really well. . . . It's great.' "

If Saniya says, "It's great," I believe her.

Reaction Score
Short article but some great quotes in there. Loved the one you listed and this one as well...

“What she really wanted was what she has in high school – a family type of setting with the players,” said Ricci, whom Chong calls Uncle Ricci. “She got that from the other schools she visited but she didn’t think she was going to see that at UConn, being that they’re all-stars, All-Americans and high-profile players.

“(On Friday) she said, ‘It went really well. Not what I expected. Everybody’s so nice and they get along with each other. It’s great.’ ”

More comments, this time from a complete outsider, on the great chemistry on the team. I think the UCONN teams have historically had really really good chemistry, but there are years where it's not as good as others... So glad we got this kid...

To answer ed's question regarding the possibility of Chong "mysteriously" rising in the rankings since she committed to UCONN, it didn't happen with Johnson, Dolson, Engeln, Faris, or even Walker for that matter (Samarie in fact dropped in the rankings after verbaling to UCONN). I think the reason we will see Chong rise (75 per HG, 72 per BS) is because she's good, and she was under the radar due to not playing on any elite teams.

She's already been invited to a US National Team tryout. She didn't make the team but was one of the 26 invited. I'm not sure if that means she's considered by some to be one of the top 25 or so kids in the nation, but I do think she's a top 30 kid... She has her whole senior year to learn and grow and show what she can do. Gonna be fun to watch!! She will also see double and triple teams, probably all the time.

This is an important get for us for so many reasons! Re the 3 guards issue. Bria is going to be a SR which provides Chong a fanatastic opportunity to not only
learn and pracice against the best,In 2014 we will have Mo,Banks SR,and Eckland a 6'0" FR! We can add KLM SR as a multiple position player. We needed a guard this year and got one! Getting Caldwell/Jordan in 2014 will not create any problems for Chong! Saniya will be getting major minutes,has tremedous upside,and will be invaluable for our 3 current FR in 2013,2014,and 2015! For me Relief and Excitement:)
Ira

Reaction Score
She will also see double and triple teams, probably all the time.

I went to see Saniya play several times last year. It was interesting to see what each team did to try and limit her scoring. Her opponents threw all types of zones and pressure at her. Nothing worked because of her speed, court vision, excellent passing, ability to handle the basketball and penetrate.

One team did something I’d never seen before. From the very start of the game, every time Saniya crossed the half court line on offense, with or without the ball, she had two defenders in her face, following her wherever she went………….didn’t work.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
IIRC one of her parents is black and one is Asian.

Saniya's father is of Chinese heritage and her mom is African-American. If she rooms with Kaleena they could have some exotic decor, since her momis Mexican and her dad is African-American. Now that is diversity!

Reaction Score
This is an important get for us for so many reasons! Re the 3 guards issue. Bria is going to be a SR which provides Chong a fanatastic opportunity to not only
learn and pracice against the best,In 2014 we will have Mo,Banks SR,and Eckland a 6'0" FR! We can add KLM SR as a multiple position player. We needed a guard this year and got one! Getting Caldwell/Jordan in 2014 will not create any problems for Chong! Saniya will be getting major minutes,has tremedous upside,and will be invaluable for our 3 current FR in 2013,2014,and 2015! For me Relief and Excitement:)
Ira
For being so excited about Eckland it would be good of you to actually know her name....Courtney Ekmark.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Now that Saniya is a UConn commit, she'll have a higher profile.

Add in her team's success.

And she'll be one of the nation's leading scorers.

And approach 3,000 career points to finish in the top few in N.Y. history.

Look for Saniya to get lots of attention and respect this season.

Reaction Score
For being so excited about Eckland it would be good of you to actually know her name....Courtney Ekmark.
I am a Fan who does everything I can to be positive,respectful,supporter of other posters on here! I avoid the pissing posts that occur on here at times!
The fact that you chose to make the comment in the manner you did,served what purpose? I made a mistake while typing my post! If you wanted to inform me
of this,it would have been nice if you had worded it in a non provocative way nor a sarcastic manner. You also could have contacted me privately!

I follow UCONN WBB Very closely! I also obcess on recruiting! I have a lot going on in my persoanl life<So I have made a mistake re: Courtney's last name!!
Possibly twice! ?????????????
Ira

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

Welcome aboard Saniya!

Reaction Score

Sort of an undeserved shot across the bow, don't you think? And, since you are so concerned about spelling, check out "courtesy" in Merriam Webster!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The article refers to Bria Hartley as a senior. That confusion would account for the 3 graduating guards comment earlier. Please pinch me and remind me that Bria is only a Junior. Let's not push her out the door too soon.
Somehow, Heather has been mistaken for a guard. Perhaps just a misunderstaning on Saniya's part?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
welcome Saniya! Looking forward to seeing you play for UConn!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am a Fan who does everything I can to be positive,respectful,supporter of other posters on here! I avoid the pissing posts that occur on here at times!
Well there's your problems right there. :cool:

I follow UCONN WBB Very closely! I also obcess on recruiting!

Ah yes, we all have an obsession.

Somebody thought that was a good idea.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member