Chong commits!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chong commits!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Saniya and Stef straight across US 84 from each other. Nice. When Stef graduates Saniya can bring the sleds to campus.

Reaction Score
Saniya is a nice addition for UCONN and gives us some much needed depth. Welcome to the UCONN family.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Something I didn't know about Saniya.....she's a true standout in volleyball, too.

Chong’s prowess in volleyball validates incredible athletic ability. Even at 5-foot-9, she soars above the net and is a vicious finisher.
“She’s a spiker,” Ricci said. “She gets off the ground so well.”

LINK

3194277661.jpg

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
THIS IS A VERRRRRY BIG DEAL!!!! WAAAAHOOOOOO!!

And you just had to go over to the Cardinal board and break the news, didn't you! You MEANIE..!!! :D:D:D Blue Meanie, that is! As in National Flag Blue.....hehehheheheh

1285114259bluemeanie.gif

Reaction Score
What's the scoop on her background? Based on the pic she looks Black, but with a surname that suggests some Asian heritage?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
What's the scoop on her background? Based on the pic she looks Black, but with a surname that suggests some Asian heritage?

IIRC one of her parents is black and one is Asian.

JS

Reaction Score
Father Chinese, mother African-American.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She looks more "buff" in that volleyball picture. I always thought (via other pictures) that she was slender/skinny. At 5'9", she has great size for a guard and I think it's pretty clear she's an extraordinary scorer (ie. it's "basket-ball"... put the ball IN the basket!!). She was invited to the USA national team trials, although she did not make the team. I'm going to guess she belongs in the top 40 and possibly in the top 25 in her class. I'm excited about her for several reasons, partly cuz she's the first commit of 2013, partly cuz she's a phenomenal scorer, and partly because I think she's much better than her 75 per HG and 72 per Blue Star ratings...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm rueing the Faris class as we speak.
Yay a smartass comment that adds nothing to the conversation. How do those 2011 and 2012 national championship banners look at Gampel? Oh right.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I can ruefully say Alex is all wet on this one. It was an emotional decision, made on the spot, and neither Saniya nor her high school coach knew in advance.

If you think Louisville doesn't put on a good show, you should talk to some recruits. It does seem, however, that Walz is losing his touch lately, to be restored only if he lands Mercedes Russell.
Geno's not losing a recruit to Jeff Walz from New York. Period. Not saying she was never considering other schools. Just that I seriously doubted they would win out on this one.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Welcome to Saniya! Congrats to her and UConn.

Though this is not a huge surprise, I thought there was some uncertainty about getting Saniya.

She will get lots of opportunities and exposure at UConn. I like the fact that she is also a VBer.

I hope Erica McCall was equally impressed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"Chong averaged 33.3 points, 5.2 rebounds, 9.7 assists and 5 steals per game as a junior. She had four 40-point games as a junior and twice scored 55 points and had four triple-doubles."

A reminder about Saniya's gaudy stats. Very impressive!

Reaction Score
How would another recruit matter in the final result if they weren't an impact player? Who could UConn have successfully recruited in the 2010 high school class that would have changed that fate in 2011 and 2012? And I do mean successfully. The coaches can only play the hand they're dealt in any given recruiting year.
Yay a smartass comment that adds nothing to the conversation. How do those 2011 and 2012 national championship banners look at Gampel? Oh right.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
We've been ridiculously spoiled bringing so many talented and highly heralded young women to UConn, that it's hard to resist projecting lofty accomplishments on their future careers.

That said, there's no doubt that Ms. Saniya is a scoring machine. But I have to say, the thing I'm most excited about and have been most impressed by while watching the many videos folks have posted these past two years, is her court generalship, vision and passing ability. The precision and timing of her passes, especially the full-court ones that are laser-like in both accuracy and delivery velocity are pretty amazing for someone that appears lanky and wiry.

According to the article, Saniya will be seeing a lot of minutes in her freshman year. That said, we might be looking at UConn's future all-time assist leader! :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We've been ridiculously spoiled bringing so many talented and highly heralded young women to UConn, that it's hard to resist projecting lofty accomplishments on their future careers.

That said, there's no doubt that Ms. Saniya is a scoring machine. But I have to say, the thing I'm most excited about and have been most impressed by while watching the many videos folks have posted these past two years, is her court generalship, vision and passing ability. The precision and timing of her passes, especially the full-court ones that are laser-like in both accuracy and delivery velocity are pretty amazing for someone that appears lanky and wiry.

According to the article, Saniya will be seeing a lot of minutes in her freshman year. That said, we might be looking at UConn's future all-time assist leader! :)
I believe that some kid named Taurasi is the career assist leader.

Tip for Saniya: If Kaleena is open, get her the damn ball. Is Breanna is open ... Same for Bria, Stef, Morgan, et al.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
As though complaining about a one player class adds something to the conversation, right? Diamond went for UNC, McCall will be a difficult get and Harper has no interest, so it is what it is. Geno is not changing his recruiting philosophy. And he clearly does not like one player classes and has said he will actively work to do something about it, so let's wait and see.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From Rich:

"Chong had dinner at the home of UConn coach Geno Auriemma Thursday, attended First Night festivities at Gampel Pavilion Friday and the Huskies’ first official practice Saturday morning. She was hosted by junior All-American Bria Hartley."

Another victory for Kathy Auriemma's cooking.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said: "Tip for Saniya: If Kaleena is open, get her the damn ball. Is Breanna is open ... Same for Bria, Stef, Morgan, et al."

Yup...these jewels, in combo with her exceptional passing ability are very much what I had in mind regarding her future career assists stats.

Reaction Score
One of the articles on her commitment stated that Uconn graduates 3 guards this year, can only think of 2, Doty and Faris. Whom am I missing?

Reaction Score
Geno's not losing a recruit to Jeff Walz from New York. Period. Not saying she was never considering other schools. Just that I seriously doubted they would win out on this one.
Your fealty to the Crown is admirable Sir Alex, but Saniya said earlier that distance was not a factor, so our natural geographic advantage was not a help in Chong's case. Or at least not when she made the statement.

I kvetched somwhere after that we couldn't catch a break this year in recruiting - we had a nextdoor neighbor in our sights and she felt proximity wasn't a factor.

As regards Louisville's attractiveness to recruits, even Geno asked for a tour of their new digs down there. The Yum! Center is an undeniable plus for Walz, and you can bet it was a major factor in his decision to jump ship from Maryland.

Nobody has commented on the revealing slip (obviously intentional) on the coaching staff's part, when they highlighted the fact they were graduating three guards before Saniya arrived. Can you say 'playing time,' class?

Reaction Score
No, none, and she was not close on any. She just wasn't getting any lift on her jumps. Nerves before her first college crowd? The men were practicing but she was just dribbling beforehand, so perhaps she wasn't warmed up enough?

I don't care if she never dunks one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits