Chiney to Sparks | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chiney to Sparks

Reaction Score
Only responding to Chiney response that she was shocked the sun were selling her in December. Actually don’t blame her. Read the Miller/ sun response and don’t believe it. First off if she was working with ESPN as other WNBA players stay for a month with their European teams who cares. The WNBA is a third option for players. They didn’t fight for a star. Miller and Sun can pound sand. I’m done as a Sun fan.

Incorrect. If you want to believe that you shouldn't be a Sun fan.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Author asks the (IMO rhetorical) question...

Q: "Did the Sun get equal value for Chiney?"
A: "Hahahahahahaha!!!"

On the surface, of course not. However, the team went 21-13 in the year they played without Chiney and then 21-13 with Chiney back. A late first round pick may not be a particularly strong player, or it could be someone who turns out to be very solid. As with many things, time will tell. If Jonquel blossoms, Chiney won't be missed as much. Who the draft pick turns put to be and how she fares will be known eventually.

Reaction Score
On the surface, of course not. However, the team went 21-13 in the year they played without Chiney and then 21-13 with Chiney back. A late first round pick may not be a particularly strong player, or it could be someone who turns out to be very solid. As with many things, time will tell. If Jonquel blossoms, Chiney won't be missed as much. Who the draft pick turns put to be and how she fares will be know n eventually.
Yeah, the author examines/questions the assumption that the likely low first-round pick is at least better than the "zero" they get if Chiney just sits out. Possibly, since they won't really miss her, just keeping her on the sidelines and off a competitor's team might be worth something - maybe more than the "zero" they get if the player they draft with the Sparks' pick doesn't make the team.

Reaction Score
The Sun will still have a strong team with Jonquel Jones, Alyssa Thomas, and Morgan Tuck. This is not the end of the world as I initially thought it was. It will still be a season worth watching.

Reaction Score
Man the Sparks are going to be lethal!! With CP3, Nneka & now her sister. Throw in Kalani, Jantel Lavender, Alana Beard, Karlie Samuelson, and a Sydney Wiese...ouch!!
You forgot maybe their most important player- Chelsea Gray. Sparks move as Gray moves...she is so crucial to their flow. One of the main reasons Sims saw her minutes decline in 2018...and was eventually traded.

Reaction Score
Wow. I'm not a W watcher but that seems like a crap trade. A low 1st round pick generally isn't much, unless the draft is loaded, which I dont think 2020 will be?
Agree. You would think they could figure out how to get a player that could give them some depth.

Reaction Score
I'm inclined to give Chiney some benefit of the doubt here, because she knows her injury situation better than we do, and I suspect she may know that her WNBA shelf life is <5 years, and maybe even just a year or two. She's said in some recent podcast interviews that she wants to go to law school, and I suspect she picked Stanford not just to follow her older sister but because she cared about "the 40-year decision." She traded likely championships at UConn for the Stanford experience, network and doors that open with it. She's killing it on ESPN and it's palpable that she has big plans after she hangs up her sneakers.

In LA, she has far more ability to explore post-basketball opportunities in media, sports, and entertainment. She could enroll part-time in law school and live in L.A. year-round. She could try to be a regular commentator for Clippers or Lakers games. Etc. The reality is that Uncasville, CT has 1/100th the non-basketball opportunities L.A. does, and if she only has a few seasons left, why shouldn't she play them out with her sister, maybe win a championship in the process, and get her post-basketball life in order?

I totally understand why that sucks for the Sun, and it's true that they were very good to her in 2015, but since then her injury situation has likely reduced her basketball shelf life, and her extra-curricular activities are probably much more attractive than they seemed four years ago. I suspect she just made another 40-year decision...
Until her playing time is cut due to 7 front court players.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
While some tried to argue that the Chiney-wants-out story wasn't correct, this seems to confirm.

Mike Anthony: Connecticut Sun onto another season without Chiney Ogwumike, this time because she wanted out

Disappointed in Chiney.
And I disagree with the Sun. I either would've forced her to sit out the year, or I would've traded her to Indianapolis or Atlanta for a ham sandwich just to be vindictive. A late 1st round pick is of little value, especially next year.

You assume that the WNBA is a true competitive league when in fact it is little more than an exhibition league, where star players are placed in franchises deemed to be in markets with growth potential.
I grew up a couple of miles from Mohegan Sun. Montville CT has to be the absolute worst site in all of pro sports. For someone in their 20's it's a social desert. They are there only because of the UConn base.
Back in the old days when the draft lottery was held behind closed doors, (a sure sign that games are being played) The Sun always seemed to get the last lottery pick.

If the Sun were truly committed to winning then they should have told Chiney to pound sand. The league wants it's stars in big markets. The Sun should have held the league hostage, demanding a high 1st round pick for her or else kiss her goodby. The pick they did get will produce nothing. Maybe a decent reserve. Basically they gave her away for nothing. But then they have been doing that right along. When has a true star ever played 3 years in Montville before a trade?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
While some tried to argue that the Chiney-wants-out story wasn't correct, this seems to confirm.

Mike Anthony: Connecticut Sun onto another season without Chiney Ogwumike, this time because she wanted out

Disappointed in Chiney.
And I disagree with the Sun. I either would've forced her to sit out the year, or I would've traded her to Indianapolis or Atlanta for a ham sandwich just to be vindictive. A late 1st round pick is of little value, especially next year.
I don't think Chiney did anything unreputable by forcing this trade. As many of you recall, Tina Charles made the exact same move to get from the Sun to the Liberty (and I wonder if she now regrets that!), and EDD did it also to get from Chicago to Washington. Teams are very coldblooded about trading or cutting players to serve the interests of the team, so you have to expect players to do the same thing. She was serving her career interests as she saw them. It is a situation where you have to expect everyone to act based on their own best interest as they see it.

Reaction Score
I don't think Chiney did anything unreputable by forcing this trade. As many of you recall, Tina Charles made the exact same move to get from the Sun to the Liberty (and I wonder if she now regrets that!), and EDD did it also to get from Chicago to Washington. Teams are very coldblooded about trading or cutting players to serve the interests of the team, so you have to expect players to do the same thing. She was serving her career interests as she saw them. It is a situation where you have to expect everyone to act based on their own best interest as they see it.
True they both did the same thing. But Tina and EDD are higher caliber players. It’s not a good look for the sun. They should have stayed strong. I applaud Dallas for what they are doing now with the Cambage situation

Reaction Score
True they both did the same thing. But Tina and EDD are higher caliber players. It’s not a good look for the sun. They should have stayed strong. I applaud Dallas for what they are doing now with the Cambage situation
But Cambage, even moreso than Chiney, doesn't care if she plays or sits out. WNBA is just a low-paying summer job unless you can get big promo deals in the USA from local (USA) name recognition.

Reaction Score
Agree. You would think they could figure out how to get a player that could give them some depth.

They should have said no deal and let her sit. A 2 time all-star has value to a team looking to win a title (unlike CT) and if they want her they should pay fair value. For CT. letting her sit is not much worse than taking a likely meaningless draft pick. I say CT should have gotten the option to take any one 1st round pick LA has, from any source, in the next 4 years. They would have until a week from the draft to decide if they want to exercize their option. CT should stumble onto a really really good play somewhere in those 4 years.

(and then they can keep her for a season or 2 and then trade her to a contender for 2 journeymen level players and a clock radio). :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Disappointed in Chiney.
They do not have that option. I believe Chiney has a trade approval option written into her contract. Even if she didn't what team would trade anything for her if she was going to sit if traded. That is the same sort of leverage that Cambage has over the Wings. I can understand Suns fans perspective, but it is just that - a fan rant with no substance other than righteous anger behind it. As has been often posted the salaries are not valuable enough to pull much weight with Star players who have multiple other options. Besides Chiney may only play until her and Nneka win a title. She seems about ready to quit anyway. She might just be a one or two at the most year rental. The same issue is there with Cambage. If teams thought she was committed to playing in the WNBA they might be more inclined to give up more value.

I feel sorry for Sun fans, but the reality is that once players gain some leverage they will usually want to leave.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Chiney was interviewed by Sarah Spain on her podcast and the implication is that some stuff was going on that made things difficult. She would not give details but once things get to that level, you just have to clean house.

The best part is Morgan Tuck will get a lot more opportunities.

Reaction Score
The Sun are getting a first round pick in this trade, someone who might have an impact. If the Sun had not worked with Chiney, they would have got nothing after Chiney sat out a year.

As for CT not trying to win, since Curt Miller arrived, the Sun have had the third best record in the league.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chiney was interviewed by Sarah Spain on her podcast and the implication is that some stuff was going on that made things difficult. She would not give details but once things get to that level, you just have to clean house.

I listened and learned nothing new about the situation with the Sun. it sounded like a bunch of gobbledygook to me. If she has something to say, then say it. I don't fault Chiney; I really don't care all that much. It seems the Sun treated her pretty fairly throughout her time in the organization.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

She needed to say what the real deal was in detail or not talk about it at all. Deniable suggestions, innuendo and hints trying to protect her brand image... not a great look. Unlikely to be called out on it in the happy-face, kid gloves world of WBB. Enough! No law against what she (and others) did, but please own it and move on. The more you talk, the more hurtful it is to the forgotten people in these scenarios who show up at the Arena and pay everyone's bills.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Chiney's agent, I presume.

It may very well be true. Not an unreasonable scenario. If this is the case, it is understandable that she would want to use whatever leverage she could to be traded to a destination she wants.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
She has stated this before and the Sun addressed it.

Reaction Score
To be realistic, the Sun has been operating under a few distinctive handicaps. To begin with, their location dictated via the locality near the Uconn Fan base. In honesty, if it were not for the level of the Uconn fan following no team would locate there. That brought with it an initial advantage in that there was a built-in fan following for Women's basketball. However with that also came potential disadvantages For one if the fan support was built around Uconn fans, then credence had to be paid to stocking as many Uconn players as possible. Now being that Uconn was a major resource for Pro ready players that at first was not that much of a disadvantage. However with time, deciding how much weight to give to marketing needs and how much to team needs would eventually create conflicts of interests. A team not so dependant on a single college fan base would not face such a conflict.

The Uconn fan base pressure is an issue. We can see this by a fan stating that the one good thing about Chiney's trade is the added playing time for Tuck. If it were not for the Uconn fan base Tuck would not have been taken so high in the draft and created the need to trade Chelsea Gray to acquire Jones. The reality is that a large number of WNBA fans are drawn to a team that has the players that they followed as fans in college. Hey! I plead guilty to that as well.

Then you add the isolated location in respect to players, and it does create the types of problems that seem to have manifest with Chiney and a few other players. It's a "Catch 22" situation. For most players the location is something they can do little about. However, when/if they become superstars the develop the leverage to be able to force their way out.

To add one more thought to this post-- Fans need to realize that if teams play too much hardball with players, it has an impact on free agents signing with a team. It is not just about making a point with the player you are dealing with, but also the players you hope to sign as free agents in the future. If teams get too hard-nosed with players it certainly will discourage players from signing free agent contracts with such a team.because they might see themselves also in such a situation in the future.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The Uconn fan base pressure is an issue. We can see this by a fan stating that the one good thing about Chiney's trade is the added playing time for Tuck. If it were not for the Uconn fan base Tuck would not have been taken so high in the draft and created the need to trade Chelsea Gray to acquire Jones.

I won't comment on the issues you brought up on some of the unique pressures of the Sun regarding UConn dominated fans but I would just like to point out that Tuck would have been the 3rd pick irregardless of the team (or very close if for some reason the team had that position covered). That was universally agreed .

Also, maybe you are referring to my post about M Tuck

I am just pointing out that Morgan has finally started to get her health to a point where her game is starting to show her promise and finding more minutes for her is a bright side to the trade. I would love to get equal value on a trade but it rarely happens.

Finally, I am a UConn WCBB fan that is often dismayed at the unwillingness of many of our fans to root for the WNBA in general and only do so to follow our players (if that much). But what can you do? :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom